Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:37 AM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Big News! Porsche has issued a recall on the variocam bolts. Thank you NHTSA!

June 7, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V368000
Camshaft Controllers may Loosen and Fail
An engine stall can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V368000

Manufacturer Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Components ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 17,986

Summary
Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2010-2012 Panamera S, Panamera 4S and Panamera Turbo vehicles, 2011-2012 Panamera and Panamera 4 vehicles, and 2011 Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo vehicles. The affected vehicles have camshaft controllers that may come loose inside the engine, potentially resulting in an engine stall.

Remedy
Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fastening screws for the camshaft adjusters, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is AH08.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Woohoo...best news all week!!

(One thing I did notice though, the recall specifies 2011 MY CS and CTT models....what about those owners that have early build 2012s? Are they left out?)
Old 06-16-2017, 03:35 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I called Sonnen Porsche just now, they confirmed what PNA has told me. No recall is in Porsche system, as of yet.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:49 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I called Sonnen Porsche just now, they confirmed what PNA has told me. No recall is in Porsche system, as of yet.
Yes, and about an hour ago I called the Porsche NA number listed in the recall. They informed me they just got the initial paperwork on it today and that things are still being sorted out.

The person assisting me looked up my VIN but as of right now it's not showing as being one of the VINs included (2011 CTT), but she said that could be because they just haven't collected all the VINs yet for the final list. She's checking to verify that for me and will give me a call back.

So given that Porsche NA is just now getting up to speed on this recall, it doesn't surprise me that local dealers will have nothing at this point (other than what they may have heard or read in the media).

Stay tuned, it's early in this process, but at least it's been acknowledged finally and the recall issued!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Yes, and about an hour ago I called the Porsche NA number listed in the recall. They informed me they just got the initial paperwork on it today and that things are still being sorted out.

The person assisting me looked up my VIN but as of right now it's not showing as being one of the VINs included (2011 CTT), but she said that could be because they just haven't collected all the VINs yet for the final list. She's checking to verify that for me and will give me a call back.

So given that Porsche NA is just now getting up to speed on this recall, it doesn't surprise me that local dealers will have nothing at this point (other than what they may have heard or read in the media).

Stay tuned, it's early in this process, but at least it's been acknowledged finally and the recall issued!
Thank you for the update. I called PNA the 13th, 3 days ago. They stated nothing on their end however they will do a follow up call the 20th. They also stated to call my local dealer and schedule an appointment ahead of time. I'll wait a few more days.....
Old 06-16-2017, 07:30 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Default Update

PNA called me back this evening to say that they're still compiling the VIN list of affected vehicles, and when that's completed, they'd follow up with me again. I was told that my 2011 CTT is likely to be included in the AH08 campaign, they just can't confirm 100% at this time until all of the details are worked out which includes the creation of the official VIN listing.

I was told that my inquiry concerning my vehicle with the regard to the AH08 campaign/recall is their first on file. I was also told that it may be a few months before we can start scheduling dealer appointments and bringing our vehicles in for the fix due to ensuring part supplies, etc. More details to come of course. All of us owning effected vehicles will be receiving letters from PNA.

In the meantime, between now and the official start of the recall fixes, they mentioned that if your vehicle experienced a failure related to this issue, it would be fully covered by PNA.

So...waiting patiently for the fix! Just glad this was finally officially recognized and acted upon.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
PNA called me back this evening to say that they're still compiling the VIN list of affected vehicles, and when that's completed, they'd follow up with me again. I was told that my 2011 CTT is likely to be included in the AH08 campaign, they just can't confirm 100% at this time until all of the details are worked out which includes the creation of the official VIN listing.

I was told that my inquiry concerning my vehicle with the regard to the AH08 campaign/recall is their first on file. I was also told that it may be a few months before we can start scheduling dealer appointments and bringing our vehicles in for the fix due to ensuring part supplies, etc. More details to come of course. All of us owning effected vehicles will be receiving letters from PNA.

In the meantime, between now and the official start of the recall fixes, they mentioned that if your vehicle experienced a failure related to this issue, it would be fully covered by PNA.

So...waiting patiently for the fix! Just glad this was finally officially recognized and acted upon.
Awesome news. I spoke to a very nice lady by the name of Annalise, she said she is the only Annalise in the department. I'm going to call Sonnen Porsche monday morning and schedule an appointment. Then follow up with Annalise, letting her know of the date of appointment and dealer therefore they can communicate. My wife drives our Cayenne, i drove it last week and i heard something that sounded like something lose- vaguely - not loud at all. Only certain RPM's. I'm certain this catastrophic failure is a moments notice hence i was being proactive going to perform this service within the next few days however you guys saved me $1100 + 8 hours of time. Thank you! Then i saw the recall. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Excellent! Yep I'm stoked to see this recall come about as well!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 AM
grevegti
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent and about time!!

I wonder how long it will take to compile the VIN list included, I may call the customer service line to find out an ETA. I still feel like i'm playing with fire waiting to get burnt for some reason.....even with an extended warranty. Too many years of fixing Jaguar chain tensioners and watching unattended motors grenade has clearly gotten into my head
Old 06-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:12 PM
BlackCS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what happens to owners who had the cam's fail without any goodwill repair from Porsche, I'm assuming the admission of liability and the denial of prior goodwill repair opens them up for costs incurred by owners.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM
stas101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white981s
So what happens to owners who had the cam's fail without any goodwill repair from Porsche, I'm assuming the admission of liability and the denial of prior goodwill repair opens them up for costs incurred by owners.
Good question buddy. I just spent 4000$ 5 month ago to fix that issue wuthout porsche help which they refused completely. Will wait when recall is fully implemented and contact porsche usa for refund i guess lol
Old 06-19-2017, 04:05 PM
snappy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually received the recall notice directly from the NHTSA - i subscribed to all recall notices for my cars. Called the number listed on the recall PCNA and they instructed me to reach out to the dealer directly. Called my local Dealer and they had no idea about this and "got actually a bit testy over the phone" apparently people have been calling in asking about this. I asked to speak with the services rep as I wanted to make sure i am covered driving the car while we wait for the recall to propagate. Ended up searching the inter webs for the recall code and found this thread. Now I am even more worried about driving the car.

I have always had good service at my local dealer "Sonnen Porsche" so lets see where this nets out.

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Awesome news. I spoke to a very nice lady by the name of Annalise, she said she is the only Annalise in the department. I'm going to call Sonnen Porsche monday morning and schedule an appointment. Then follow up with Annalise, letting her know of the date of appointment and dealer therefore they can communicate. My wife drives our Cayenne, i drove it last week and i heard something that sounded like something lose- vaguely - not loud at all. Only certain RPM's. I'm certain this catastrophic failure is a moments notice hence i was being proactive going to perform this service within the next few days however you guys saved me $1100 + 8 hours of time. Thank you! Then i saw the recall. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:35 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

All recalls include a reimbursement for any owner who suffers the problem prior to the recall announcement. I believe it also covers owners such as myself who proactively fixed the problem before failure occurred.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:54 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

This has been on the back of my mind for a while and worrying me - checked my Cayenne S and its a 2011 model that I think is right in the middle of the VIN range - though for some reason I cant find the page that had the affected VIN's any more!

I have had a string of trouble with it such as gearbox woes, replacement front differential and more recently a weak transfer case! Really wanted to get the preventative work done on the bolts but simply cant afford it! This really takes a weight off my mind now!

I did call my local dealer yesterday to see if they had any info but they admitted that they didnt (East Bay area). Also checked on the Porsche website and its not showing as having an active recall either. But the lady at the dealer did check the recalls and reference numbers and she couldnt find anything on her system, so suspect its not added yet.

Anyone else try with their dealers yet? Any progress on getting theirs booked in and sorted out?

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts