Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Still Learnin' Stuff About My Cayenne S ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:16 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Still Learnin' Stuff About My Cayenne S ...

So I was reading the owner's manual this morning looking for a few specific items, and I ran across a cool tip I hadn't known before: You can automatically fold in the side mirrors with the remote (just hold the "Lock" button down for 1 second after you lock the car). This is my winter DD and I park it in an indoor public garage downtown for work, and even though the garage is pretty cramped I always forget to fold my mirrors in no matter how tight the space is. Apparently remembering to use the button on the driver's door is simply too much for my limited memory, but now I can just do it from the remote after I lock it and walk away

It got me wondering if I'm the only knucklehead who never bothered to read the owner's manual to learn about all of these cool little tricks, or if you're like me and kinda figure them out now and then (or when you finally get bored enough one morning to read an owner's manual)...

Last edited by North Shore 911; 01-28-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:25 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also read the manual. In mine it says I can activate the hold feature on the brakes if after you come to a complete stop you push down further on the pedal.

There are a lot of little things like that in the manual but that is the only one I can think of quickly.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by tigger1197
I also read the manual. In mine it says I can activate the hold feature on the brakes if after you come to a complete stop you push down further on the pedal.

There are a lot of little things like that in the manual but that is the only one I can think of quickly.
On your what? Year/model?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:56 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
FWIW, I have a 2008 CS, and this model does it automatically. I don't have to push the pedal in further after I come to a complete stop to activate the hill hold feature. I don't have the manual right here, but mine always holds me in place when I release the brakes on a hill, before getting on the gas and driving off.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:51 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it is based on the incline. At least is it on my 2016. It does it automatically on an incline, but you can do the pedal thing to force it on if the incline is too shallow for the automatic thing to kick in.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Correct, on flat ground you hold it. Push the brake pedal all the way, firmly not a jab, and hold it for a second or two. The gauge will light up HOLD. Pressing the throttle releases it with about the same minor delay as the auto stop/start.

Can't say I have much use for it. It just seems unsafe. I'd rather have a foot on the brake, holding it, rather than run the risk of having a foot or floormat slip, hit the throttle and cause an accident. Hill-holding, that I get, but this? Fortunately it's not automatic and I can ignore it.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
You can automatically fold in the side mirrors with the remote (just hold the "Lock" button down for 1 second after you lock the car). This is my winter DD and I park it in an indoor public garage downtown for work, and even though the garage is pretty cramped I always forget to fold my mirrors in no matter how tight the space is. Apparently remembering to use the button on the driver's door is simply too much for my limited memory, but now I can just do it from the remote after I lock it and walk away
Yes, love this feature! I generally activate it from the button on the door handle ('entry & drive' option).
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Can't say I have much use for it. It just seems unsafe. I'd rather have a foot on the brake, holding it, rather than run the risk of having a foot or floormat slip, hit the throttle and cause an accident. Hill-holding, that I get, but this? Fortunately it's not automatic and I can ignore it.
I agree with you. This is the first Cayenne I have had that will actually roll back slightly at pull away, if on a very small incline. It's nbd, and something you are used to if you have driven with a manual, but in what is basically an automatic car (albeit a very good one) I can see it catching people out.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Yes, love this feature! I generally activate it from the button on the door handle ('entry & drive' option).
BUT - what we don't have - and Tourag owners do (there is one that parks at the same gym I go to..) is self-folding when parked. There is an option on the Tourag to set the mirrors to automatically fold with ignition off, and unfold when the ignition is switched on. Not so on the Cayenne. Wonder how they missed that one? I believe Mercedes has it. Dunno if newer BMWs do - the older ones didn't.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:01 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

is self-folding when parked. There is an option on the Tourag to set the mirrors to automatically fold with ignition off, and unfold when the ignition is switched on.
How many ignition cycles do you think it'll take to burn out the motors? I prefer fold on demand but YMMV.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by dasams
How many ignition cycles do you think it'll take to burn out the motors? I prefer fold on demand but YMMV.
Would have to go to a tourag forum to find out right? Feel free.. If one was given an OPTION for it - both of us would be happy.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:21 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Without reading the manual, there are a lot of hidden features that will go unused by the average owner.
Bet plenty of 955 owners don't realize there are two 12 volt power ports up front.
I've seen a few rear seats with damaged leather from seat belts because the owner never knew you're supposed to pull up on a tether and roll the bottom cushions forward.
And how many people know you can roll all 4 windows up/down from outside the car using the manual key lock on the driver's door?
How about the hidden tool under the arm rest console that allows you to get into the shifter area and manually get the car out of park during a power failure or major malfunction? Think of how many have been dragged onto a flatbed with all 4 wheels locked.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:02 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2016 958.2
Old 01-29-2017, 08:26 PM
DR ZZZ
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thescratt
I think it is based on the incline. At least is it on my 2016. It does it automatically on an incline, but you can do the pedal thing to force it on if the incline is too shallow for the automatic thing to kick in.
I like it on an incline but don't really use it while sitting flat in traffic - paranoid not to have my foot over the break while in drive.

Correct, on flat ground you hold it. Push the brake pedal all the way, firmly not a jab, and hold it for a second or two. The gauge will light up HOLD. Pressing the throttle releases it with about the same minor delay as the auto stop/start.

I feel the same way.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use it in dead stop traffic or things like waiting on trains. I actually had assumed all vehicles had this. My 2013 ML had it as well. I never checked on the Cayenne but assumed it is just like the ML where it keeps your brake lights on. If you keep it on Hold for a long period I do believe it stops and engages the parking brake, lights on dash switching accordingly.

Quick Reply: Still Learnin' Stuff About My Cayenne S ...