Sponsored By:

Chassis system failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Guessing on these vehicles doesn't make sense. Porsche has you by the ***** with the need for PIWIS.
You can likely diagnose it with an iCarScan - and that's about $15,000 less expensive than the PIWIS.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (02-09-2023)
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You can likely diagnose it with an iCarScan - and that's about $15,000 less expensive than the PIWIS.
I can't say for sure, but I think VAG-COM can also read these codes if you modify the cable...
Old 12-22-2016, 10:53 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I can't say for sure, but I think VAG-COM can also read these codes if you modify the cable...
Yes you need to install a resistor between a couple of pins and then you are still playing with fire. I looked heavily into this. The functionality would be limited and its just not worth it or practical for most guys. Try doing a handover with vagcom.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:04 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Im never suprised @ how unresourceful some are. You can get a PIWIS for far less than that. Its not easy, you have to know where to look. A real one. I just bought a Bosch kts 650 based PIWIS 1 with 670 upgrade( motherboard,memory, ram) and a 120gb ssd. Its fully functional and installed from original dealer base discs, not vm ware , and no time bomb v34, the last version before PIWIS 2. No china crap 100% authentic.​​​​​​​ Its boils down to how bad you want it and how much work you put into making it happen, like anything else.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

Decided to do some basic diagnostics myself. Connected OBD reader - no codes (but I did not expect much). Then measured the suspension drop overnight. Within 12 hours, front passenger corner dropped almost 1.5". Passenger rear dropped under 1/4" and the driver rear rose about 1/2". So basically that tells me that there is a leak in the passenger front strut. Need to take it in before it kills the compressor...
Old 12-22-2016, 03:57 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Decided to do some basic diagnostics myself. Connected OBD reader - no codes (but I did not expect much). Then measured the suspension drop overnight. Within 12 hours, front passenger corner dropped almost 1.5". Passenger rear dropped under 1/4" and the driver rear rose about 1/2". So basically that tells me that there is a leak in the passenger front strut. Need to take it in before it kills the compressor...
Mine was exactly the same - I could have sworn my passenger front strut was busted as I could actually watch it drop and hear air noise as it did so. But as I said above, I will bet the farm (if I had one!) that your compressor is already dead. New compressor fixed the issue.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:18 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

With that quick of a leak you will (probably) have your answer if you spend 15 minutes with a spray bottle and some soapy water...
Old 12-23-2016, 01:43 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Im never suprised @ how unresourceful some are. You can get a PIWIS for far less than that. Its not easy, you have to know where to look. A real one. I just bought a Bosch kts 650 based PIWIS 1 with 670 upgrade( motherboard,memory, ram) and a 120gb ssd. Its fully functional and installed from original dealer base discs, not vm ware , and no time bomb v34, the last version before PIWIS 2. No china crap 100% authentic.​​​​​​​ Its boils down to how bad you want it and how much work you put into making it happen, like anything else.
I'm glad we didn't surprise you. Would hate to do that.

So what'd the PIWIS-1 cost you? I don't see the need for it since iCarScan seems to do about everything the PIWIS does that I need to do. And less than $200. Plus it will do 4 other makes of vehicles included in that price, and $50/each will buy you any other make of vehicle.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:06 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

There is only one question:
Do you have developer mode?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:46 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

So what'd the PIWIS-1 cost you? I don't see the need for it since iCarScan seems to do about everything the PIWIS does that I need to do. And less than $200. Plus it will do 4 other makes of vehicles included in that price, and $50/each will buy you any other make of vehicle.
Well, Im sure the icarscan will be great until you have a real problem. For the money its probably the best deal in its class, agreed. I paid $2300 for the PIWIS 1 kts, a charger, bosch case, pin saver, a very very high quality Porsche obd cable, and a giant bosch kit of hundreds of test leads and adapters for the oscilliscope and multimeter contained in the PIWIS 1. If you think about what 1 trip to a good indy or the dealer can cost its nothing. Especially since the dealer wont let you bring your own parts. I can do so much with the PIWIS its mind boggling. Including flashing the DME with e81 powerkit, turbo S files. Would you pay $3,4,500 for a Porsche made DME reflash that gave you 50 extra? Not to mention all the stuff it does that dealers will tell you no to. Theres all kinds of information that is needed like sensor values for example that Porscdhe didnt put in the FSM. Funny (not really) how they spread the information across so many sources.

This things a money maker from every angle!

Developer mode is in PIWIS 2, its only written in German, which most shops are still using , and I understand 3 is either already being implemented or will be soon.

Im really interested in what the icarscan can do on other makes, you should do a writeup and some screenshots.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:49 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

700$ ipd plenum? Now thats stupid and gives you nothing on the Cayenne. But people still buy them.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (02-09-2023)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Im really interested in what the icarscan can do on other makes, you should do a writeup and some screenshots.
We should take this out of this guy's thread so we're not crapping it up.. but..

Nice idea - but - last time I did this sort of article (for Roundel BMW-CCA's club magazine) I was paid for my time, and it took a LOT of time.

To do a real in depth review - one would need say every model of Porsche that this device covers, then a matrix of items supported - and check each model to see what items it cover. That's for one car manufacturer. Doing it for a manufacturer like BMW - who has had OBD on about 100 different models would take an impossibly long time - especially considering the engine variants and such.

What I can tell you on the iCarScan Cayenne 958 Turbo diagnostics - it breaks out the car about the same as the service manual does. It allows reading data from almost any module (things like ride height, switch positions, system voltage, output conditions, etc.) and on most modules you can also activate or change settings. Some of temporary setting changes - others can be programmed to the module. Looking quickly at it - it appears it may be useful for setting ride height. It appears to have the ability to set the basic ride height for each wheel.

It also does things like reads the oil level sensor in MM - actual oil height on the sensor. That should be useful when changing oil and the instrument cluster won't display the level because the oil isn't hot enough. iCarScan just gives you the measured level. I understand PIWIS uses that data to tell you how much oil to add (I assume by comparing measured with what the full level should be.) I've measured the full level on my Turbo - so I would be able to determine if the oil was full after changing the oil.

It's useful tool - but it doesn't do hand-holding like the PIWIS does. For the price (currently around $165) - it's a steal IMHO.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

This turned ugly... I took the truck to a highly recommended independent mechanic.

They called back and said that rear passenger strut was done and the car was not driveable. That did not feel right because I brought them the car that was driveable and the front passenger corner was dropping, not rear. Anyway, they told me that it was possible for a different corner to drop and keep the car till it's fixed.

Ordering the strut took another two weeks because it had to come from Germany.

3 weeks later, they replaced the strut, gave me back the car. Overnight the front dropped, but this time both corners, not just one.

I'm out almost $4K now - strut, labor, and over 3 weeks of rental, and the car is in the same or worse state than it was. Not sure what to do at this point - take back to the independent? go to dealer? torch it?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
This turned ugly... I took the truck to a highly recommended independent mechanic.

They called back and said that rear passenger strut was done and the car was not driveable. That did not feel right because I brought them the car that was driveable and the front passenger corner was dropping, not rear. Anyway, they told me that it was possible for a different corner to drop and keep the car till it's fixed.

Ordering the strut took another two weeks because it had to come from Germany.

3 weeks later, they replaced the strut, gave me back the car. Overnight the front dropped, but this time both corners, not just one.

I'm out almost $4K now - strut, labor, and over 3 weeks of rental, and the car is in the same or worse state than it was. Not sure what to do at this point - take back to the independent? go to dealer? torch it?
On older Cayennes a 'leaking strut' is often due to the air valves not holding up anymore, not air bag itself. I've replaced all 4 air valves on my -08 over the years due to leaks (costs peanuts).

The 958 has a closed nitrogen system though, so I'm not sure if it has similar valves. I'm quite astonished that the air bags would be shot on a 958, did they send a photo of the damage?

I know it's too late, but when something major goes on one of my cars I try to get a second opinion always before starting to fix something.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torre
On older Cayennes a 'leaking strut' is often due to the air valves not holding up anymore, not air bag itself. I've replaced all 4 air valves on my -08 over the years due to leaks (costs peanuts).

The 958 has a closed nitrogen system though, so I'm not sure if it has similar valves. I'm quite astonished that the air bags would be shot on a 958, did they send a photo of the damage?

I know it's too late, but when something major goes on one of my cars I try to get a second opinion always before starting to fix something.
The irony is I took it to independent mostly because what I heard about the dealer is that they replace pump without even looking and then if it does not fix the issue replace all struts. So I hoped an independent would be more selective on what to replace. Kicking myself now.

They showed me the replaced strut. There was no visible damage. They told me it just would not hold air.

I tried raising the suspension to the highest level, and it would not go there - says "Not possible" while the pump keeps pumping, with the truck being extremely high. The mechanic says it's because the strut was shot and kept overworking the pump, so the pump is dying and cannot keep up now. Could be true. But the truck would go up fully before I sent it to them.

Also, I noticed the hose to the front strut that was dropping is replaced. They did not tell me about that. Could have forgotten, but that's weird.

Quick Reply: Chassis system failure