Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2015 Cayenne with 700 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:52 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Not unusual to see these 'new' older hybrids. Paramount in Hickory had one for the longest time, just couldn't sell it. I can't remember if it was a 14 or 15. Didn't it change from just a hybrid to an e-hybrid from 14 to 15. I think that is why theirs didn't sell.
It sounds like a good deal. It likely was taken on test drives and moved around more then they are saying. I personally wouldn't be concerned about buying it...but if you can get a CPO on it all the better particularly with the reduced price.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:30 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by thescratt
You probably realise this but just in case not: AFAIK the "starter battery" is the main hybrid battery, and the "starter motor" is the hybrid electric engine. And the battery, at least, is warrantied for 6 or 7 years.
Interesting. I was thinking separate starter and motive batteries. What did Porsche do? Put the electric motive motor between the engine and tranny?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:10 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not an expert. I've looked around for technical info because it interests me a lot. But most of my info is gleaned from the internet and articles. So I am willing to be corrected and would love to hear from people that know more.

My understanding is that most (if not all) hybrid engines use the electric motor to start the ICE, and that it is a lot less stressful that way as the ICE is accelerated to pretty close to 1000RPM almost instantly. I've read that there is a lot more wear and stress cold starting on traditional cars. And that hybrids also can circulate some oil prior to the ICE being started. Not sure if the Cayenne does that last bit or not. But it's pretty busy at startup, even in all electric mode.

With the current Porsche Hybrids, unusually compared to other electric vehicles, you can actually change gears in all electric mode as well as hybrid mode. Which is actually pretty neat IMHO. But you do lose some of the constant torque that pure electric cars provide.

The integration into the transmission is not trivial in these hybrids, is also my understanding. Also part of the reason they didn't get the PDK until this next generation. But what you do get is the ability to boost the ICE with the electric motor, as well as charge from the ICE, and all the other various modes.

Worth noting also that even when your hybrid battery is "flat" for driving, there is more than enough to start the car. Typically around 25%. So even then you have a lot more battery at your disposal than in your average 12 volt car battery.

Mine will report elective all electric is not available any more a couple of kms before it will force the ICE on. And it still has plenty of juice in the analog gauge on the battery.

Quick Reply: 2015 Cayenne with 700 miles