Sponsored By:

New owner of 2012 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:02 AM
Gadget
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 2012 Cayenne Turbo

I traded my 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe P31 for a 2012 Cayenne Turbo yesterday. The C63 ran 11s completely stock. Amazingly fun car to hammer on, but a little on the small side and not comfortable on long trips.

Stopped in a dealership just to look. Well, ended up driving it home. I know I should of done some research before buying, but it was love at first test drive.

Looked around on this forum for issues to look out for, but not sure they apply to my model year. The problem with the bolts on the variable valve timing actuators and a coolant pipe problem. Can anyone advise on these issues or any others I should be on the look out for?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

There is no coolant pipe problem with your 2012. There may be a bolt problem. Go to: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...s-failure.html

Go to the end. I explain there how to easily determine if you have the questionable bolts. It appears some 2012 Turbos do. Specifically read: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...ml#post4565648
Old 10-17-2016, 01:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

BTW - just thought of the only TADT (they all do that..) that I know of on the 958 series. The drivers side window controls - the end of the control (chrome bit) for the drivers window like to break off. Switch still works fine, but it's not as pretty. Replacement switch is around $135, and looks like a DIY to replace if you have any mechanical competence. Switch assembly should be ordered by VIN# since they vary depending on several options the vehicle might or might not have.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 PM
Gadget
Track Day

Thanks!

The window buttons are perfect so far.

Reading over the other thread about the cam phaser bolts, looks like I can do a visual check through the oil fill cap. I will get my bore scope in there and check/verify which bolts I have.

G
Old 10-20-2016, 01:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Gadget
Thanks!

The window buttons are perfect so far.

Reading over the other thread about the cam phaser bolts, looks like I can do a visual check through the oil fill cap. I will get my bore scope in there and check/verify which bolts I have.

G
Since you have a bore-scope I guess that's an opportunity to use it. I have one too - it's mostly used to try to find bolts and wrenches that disappear down into the bowels of the engine compartment. I've never owned a vehicle with such an appetite for metal..

It's also visible with a little mirror and shining a flashlight in the mirror to light up the back of the Variocam adjuster.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Gadget
Track Day

Wondering, does the engine have variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust cams?
Old 10-21-2016, 01:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Wondering, does the engine have variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust cams?
Just the intake.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Gadget
Track Day

I could not find my good bore-scope that can take pictures, so I used the old one. These bolt heads face the rear of the engine, correct? If so, mine appear to be steel with a black oxide finish with no pin in the center. From the sound of things I am in the clear on that issue.

Went on a nice road trip out to Dover AFB. The Cayenne is very comfortable, powerful, and is an awesome road trip vehicle. It seems that everything works and that adaptive cruise control is very nice.

Really loving the Cayenne!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

No pin in the center is the clue.. you've got steel.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Gadget
Track Day

The 8 speed tiptronic transmission, does it use a conventional type torque converter or it is like the auto clutch system from my AMG car? If it is a clutch type, does the car have a launch control?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Torque converter. No launch control.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Gadget
Track Day

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:45 AM
deilenberger
Banned

It would be rather unseemly to launch a Cayenne..
Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Gadget
Track Day

Many of the newer performance cars do not have a traditional torque converter. The new AMG cars don't either, they have an automatic clutch. So, you cannot power brake them without screwing things up. These cars have a launch mode that is supposed to get you off the line real fast. On my C63 I found it is was way to aggressive and got much better times just easing the throttle in.

Every time I drive this Cayenne I fall further in love with it. Just got back from the Euro-Philly Cheese-steak run. Over 300 mile round trip. Still got over 20 MPG. The run goes from Beltsville MD to Philly to get a Cheese-steak. Must of been over 200 euro performance cars. Nuts really. The Cayenne seems to be very fast and surprised a lot of other car owners especially one Corvette guy....

I drove back at normal speeds over 150 miles and the car is so nice and comfortable on the highway. Way better than the C63 I traded for it. Love that adaptive cruise control!

Anyway I have noticed one odd thing. The driver's seat moves back when the driver's door is opened. Sometimes it moves back properly on engine start, and sometimes it does not. I am thinking that the battery voltage drops to low on engine start screwing up the memory for the seat. Might be ready for a new battery.

Any input on this? Could it be something else?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:00 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 202 Posts

Many of the newer performance cars do not have a traditional torque converter. The new AMG cars don't either, they have an automatic clutch. So, you cannot power brake them without screwing things up. These cars have a launch mode that is supposed to get you off the line real fast. On my C63 I found it is was way to aggressive and got much better times just easing the throttle in.

Every time I drive this Cayenne I fall further in love with it. Just got back from the Euro-Philly Cheese-steak run. Over 300 mile round trip. Still got over 20 MPG. The run goes from Beltsville MD to Philly to get a Cheese-steak. Must of been over 200 euro performance cars. Nuts really. The Cayenne seems to be very fast and surprised a lot of other car owners especially one Corvette guy....

I drove back at normal speeds over 150 miles and the car is so nice and comfortable on the highway. Way better than the C63 I traded for it. Love that adaptive cruise control!

Anyway I have noticed one odd thing. The driver's seat moves back when the driver's door is opened. Sometimes it moves back properly on engine start, and sometimes it does not. I am thinking that the battery voltage drops to low on engine start screwing up the memory for the seat. Might be ready for a new battery.

Any input on this? Could it be something else?
Gadget,

I've been following your post because last month I just picked up a new-to-me 2012 Cayenne S as my winter DD to give my 2010 C4S Cab a break in our horrible Chicago winters. As I've settled into this car (which I love!) I've noticed exactly the same thing with my driver's seat. For me, it seems it's about once every 3-4 times that the seat doesn't reset when I jump back in. While my seat always moves back when I pull the key out, it seems to not always move forward. I hit the preset seat button and it always goes where it should, so it can't be a problem with the memory. The steering wheel always does what it should, it's only the seat that seems inconsistent.

I've got 2 years of CPO coverage so I can get it looked at by my P Dealer, but I'd love to hear if any other 2012 Cayenne owners have already experienced this and have a quick fix for both of us

Quick Reply: New owner of 2012 Cayenne Turbo