Sponsored By:

Oil Level not showing aftern oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 03:18 PM
jay958
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Level not showing aftern oil change

So got a problem here i just did oil change on my 958 and 100 miles after oil change the oil level is still not showing on the dash. The same message says oil level can only show after short distance etc.
I did reset the oil change light using iCarSoft which was a breeze took 1 minute to reset.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:02 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeap that's not uncommon and ridiculously stupid on Porsche's part (no physical dipstick and then locking the electronic one out after you change the oil).

I believe I read in one of the threads about the tool you are using that it can read the oil level for you, but I'm not positive.

Otherwise you will need to wait until it cooperates which should only take a drive or two (has to be long enough to get the motor up to operating temp).
Old 10-02-2016, 06:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

You can also read the level of the oil with iCarSoft.. on my V8 engine, 80mm is about "normal" and I believe 100mm is full. You can read it without the engine running, and right after changing it. The guys at Porsche access the same reading with PWIS to check the level when they do an oil change.
The following users liked this post:
Katrina11 (11-20-2021)
Old 10-03-2016, 12:44 AM
jay958
Advanced

Oil level just works after another 50 mile drive thank you guys for your advise as always
Cold-Gas (03-06-2022)
Old 10-03-2016, 12:45 AM
jay958
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You can also read the level of the oil with iCarSoft.. on my V8 engine, 80mm is about "normal" and I believe 100mm is full. You can read it without the engine running, and right after changing it. The guys at Porsche access the same reading with PWIS to check the level when they do an oil change.
was there a thread on that, i did not see that option, i will do a search thank you
Old 10-03-2016, 11:53 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

No thread. It's buried in the iCarSoft menus under the engine section I believe. The height I mention is what I read out when my oil was at the "normal" mark on the display.

I wouldn't panic about the lack of a reading. If you put in 8 quarts of oil you are well above the oil pickup in the sump. The top to bottom of the oil display is about 1.5 liters. Each segment of the display appears to be 0.25 Liter.

Since you didn't mention what engine your Cayenne has (there is a reason to add that info in a "SIG" file that displays on every post..) I can't say if these numbers are accurate for your particular Cayenne.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:22 PM
jay958
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
No thread. It's buried in the iCarSoft menus under the engine section I believe. The height I mention is what I read out when my oil was at the "normal" mark on the display. I wouldn't panic about the lack of a reading. If you put in 8 quarts of oil you are well above the oil pickup in the sump. The top to bottom of the oil display is about 1.5 liters. Each segment of the display appears to be 0.25 Liter. Since you didn't mention what engine your Cayenne has (there is a reason to add that info in a "SIG" file that displays on every post..) I can't say if these numbers are accurate for your particular Cayenne.
thank you for the note, it did show up eventually and it was one green bar lower than max and after i added an ounce or two I had to go through the process again waiting for it to show up. I was too lazy to pull out the icarsoft again but big thanks to pointing me to the right direction.
Dsandler (12-31-2019)
Old 10-04-2016, 12:24 PM
jay958
Advanced

Originally Posted by gnat
Yeap that's not uncommon and ridiculously stupid on Porsche's part (no physical dipstick and then locking the electronic one out after you change the oil). I believe I read in one of the threads about the tool you are using that it can read the oil level for you, but I'm not positive. Otherwise you will need to wait until it cooperates which should only take a drive or two (has to be long enough to get the motor up to operating temp).
i believe from my experiment that it is actually a time elapsed kind of setting. I took 15 mins to work everyday and after two days the level showed up. If its set up as engine temperature and it didnt show up adter 1st day it probably shouldnt show up the 2nd day. Just my guess anyway all is well now. Thank you for your reply.

Quick Reply: Oil Level not showing aftern oil change