Sponsored By:

need help on 958 CTT with trailer hitch install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
Pretty straight forward but if I didn't have some guidance I wouldn't have known where the bracket was installed or how to plug in the trailer module.

1) Metal bracket that came with the setup wasn't needed as mine was already in place and housed the existing back up camera/sensor module. Some systems will have the rear infotainment system computer in place there as well which changes how the trailer module connects. Mine was placed just beneath the back up camera computer (since I don't have rear infotainment) and the silver bracket comes out with 3 screws to attach the trailer module.

2) The BOSE sound system needs to be removed to reveal the bracket and location as well

3) Vehicles are pre-wired with the red plug (attaches to the trailer module) and the green plug (which is on the trailer wiring harness) attaches to a green plug already in the vehicle (you can see in photos).

4) The dummy body plug underneath pops out and the wiring harness is pulled through there with the supplied rubber grommet.

Overall, not to bad. I took a couple pics of the rubber rivets (which broke for me) along with one metal clip that also was damaged and it broke when I was bending it back. These were used to hold on the rear panel which needs to be removed to get this job done.

Note: I removed the tie down hooks on the passenger side (to remove this straight inlay) along with the rear chrome/metal guard. This allows the rear side panel to come out easier.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers,
Bryan
Great clear pictures. I did mine kind of in the dark and thus didn't take pictures, but with there was a nice clear write up on the fact that you can just buy Tuaereg parts and nice write up with pictures like these.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by darrona
How in the heck do you get that rear panel to access the trailer module? Also, how does the rear metal guard come off in the vargo floor where the lid closes?

Thank you,
David
If i recall correct, the spring hooks or loops or whatever you want to call them unscrew using hex (don't recall size) then the rear metal plate with grooves just pops up and the panels that hold the hooks first needs to slide forward or reverse (one of those ways) before you can pick it up. Make sure you slide it first otherwise you'll break small plastic tabs. Mostly everything in the rear is self explanatory once you start and also especially once you have it apart.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:45 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dapopa9
X98 - Did your 958 already have the plug that the trailer lights/brakes plug into on the back/underside of the bumper? Or does the kit you bought from Sunset include that piece also?
Use Ebay, use Amazon... everything else is way too much money for what it is.

Quick Reply: need help on 958 CTT with trailer hitch install