Sponsored By:

2013 Cayenne GTS anomoly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:21 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts
Question 2013 Cayenne GTS anomoly?

Greetings everyone. I'm new here (well, been reading the forums for quite a while and joined a while back).

Anyway, I test drove a used '13 GTS this weekend at a Honda dealer of all places (Chantilly Honda for those in the Northern VA area). The vehicle seems to be in decent shape mechanically and cosmetically, about what you'd expect for a 60k mile vehicle. They did all the typical used car servicing prep, but some things I question such as the type of oil they used and front brake pad replacements (what brand, did they turn rotors, etc?). I know my Porsche dealer only does pads AND rotors at the same time. There also seems to be a pulsating noise at low parking lot speeds that sounds perhaps like a caliper dragging slightly on the rotor. Bothers me a bit obviously. No pulsing brake pedal though, all smooth.

So here's the question I have. Under the hood is the emissions decal on the right front underside of the hood as you're facing the vehicle. The model designation on the decal said 'Cayenne S', not 'Cayenne GTS'. Now I realize the motor in the GTS is a slightly modified version of the S 4.8, but I swear I've always noticed the emissions decal on every other Cayenne I've seen to list the specific model designation. My turbo has 'Cayenne turbo' for instance. I've also seen 'Cayenne GTS' on 957 gen GTSs. Are the 958s different, or is there something funny with this one I looked at?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Gages
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2013 GTS also says Cayenne S.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Ah, okay....very interesting. Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

There is no reason to replace the brake rotors if they measure out within spec. If your dealer "always replaces them", then he is padding his pocket.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:39 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Yep, I agree. I'm not sure if it's just the policy of my particular dealer (Porsche Tysons Corner) or if that's a Porsche-wide policy? But they will only replace pads along with rotors as a set.

As for this used '13 GTS I looked at, I'm not sure exactly what that low speed pulsating noise was I could hear, but I suspect it was brake related. If I ever got serious about it, I'd take it for a thorough PPI before a purchase anyway.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:32 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from Tysons. They wanted to charge me double, actually 2.5x, the cost of a major service at Auto Sport Systems (right down the road btw). They also wanted to charge me close to $800 to upgrade to the latest map. I went there to get a extra key cut (on the dealers' dime where I bought it as their key cutting machine was down) and was talking about how the only option I regret not getting was PDCC. The salesman didn't know what it was and wanted to look it up on the computer to see if they could install it for me. Bu they did offer me espresso and a car wash. No thanks.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:59 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

I purchased my CTT at Tysons and actually had a great buying experience there, my salesman was knowledgeable. But I have since noticed their service prices to be quite out of line IMO. I was recently quoted $975 for the 60k mile service which isn't a major service interval. At least it was better than Porsche Arlington's quote at $1200, but wow! I was also once quoted a price of $1250 to install illuminated door sills at Tysons!

My independent in the Warrenton area, whom I've have great luck with, quoted me $195 for the 60k mile service.

The GTS I mentioned above is at Chantilly Honda, so I'd want to get a through PPI somewhere if I ever pursued that vehicle. The mileage on that one is a just a bit high at 60k for a 2013.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:11 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Major service quote from Tysons was $2200. I think I paid around $800 down the road IIRC. Completed in 1 day. Only difference is they don't offer loaners but thats not worth $1400, and no way they would have it back to me in 1 day. They work on all models and set up and prep race cars as well. Excellent group off Dorr Ave. I guess they figure if you're buying a car/ living in Tysons you're made of money and they can charge whatever they want.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:59 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Thanks for the heads up on Auto Sport Systems. I just looked at their website, I'll have to check them out. I hadn't heard of them. Good to know.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,659 Likes on 4,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
There is no reason to replace the brake rotors if they measure out within spec. If your dealer "always replaces them", then he is padding his pocket.
If the rotors are still true, I agree with Dan, but I never turn rotors, especially on a vehicle as heavy as our Cayennes.

Turning them removes metal and what causes rotors to warp is heat build up. When turned their ability to heat sink is reduced. Our rotors are solid but vented so their ability to dissipate heat is already compromised. A drilled and vented rotor for street use is a great combination - although it has less metal and thus a smaller heat sink, it cools much faster because of the increased surface area exposed to the air (the metal at the edges of all the holes) and has better air flow through the holes to allow for cooler air to ingress and hotter air to egress. The holes also give rain and pad outgassing a place to escape so the pads make better contact with the rotor surface sooner. Drilled rotors should also not be turned as the holes have to re-chamfered to avoid cracking, and no one does this, but that's not an issue for me since I never turn my rotors.

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne GTS anomoly?