958 Battery Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022 | 05:30 PM
ROG100
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another Battery ~9 years? You do lead a charmed life
Not so charmed - changing the battery was pretty straight forward. However I now have 4 chassis and headlight codes that need erasing. Tried with my Durametric without luck. I must have screwed something up 8>(

Does it have the "Do It Yourself" manual transmission, or the superior "Fully Equipped by Porsche" Automatic Transmission? George Layton March 2014

928 Owners are ".....a secret sect of quietly assured Porsche pragmatists who in near anonymity appreciate the prodigious, easy going prowess of the 928."

Old 04-08-2022 | 01:04 AM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Got a new battery installed in my 2013 diesel. I didn't want to deal with the seat or the 50 lbs of battery. Independent replaced the original Varta with a Bosch- I think they are the same. Yes, they had to re register the battery. I think if you keep 12 volts on the system when you are changing the battery you might not have to re register but then it is still working on the old battery specs. I watched as all the software reloaded. The original battery was dropping to below 12V after sitting for a few days. I keep a trickle charger on the old and new battery. I think the diesel must need more power to start because of the high compression but I don't know. Dealer wanted $900 + tax independent was $600- still a lot considering the cost of the battery but it took the tech about an hour to change the battery and reprogram.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022 | 01:40 PM
ROG100
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So I talked to my friendly Porsche tech about registration. He does it every time he changes a battery. For the record he pulls the old battery out and replaces with new. He does not apply constant power and it does not effect memory.
In PWIS he selects Gateway, battery, adds size (in my case 92ah), battery make (mine was a Bosch) we just selected Varta as Bosch was not a choice. Asks for two sets of codes, just make it up to meet the format required and you are done.
I just did the process again with Carsoft V3.0 and it is under service and not Gateway. Same procedure as above and life is good again.
afriedrich (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022 | 01:52 PM
afriedrich
Instructor

I have electronic gremlins in my 2012 CS 4.8 when the car is not driven for one week. Once I recharge the battery overnight with a trickle charger, all is fine again. Planning to replace the 3.5 year old VARTA G14 Silver Dynamic AGM 95Ah - 850, this is not the first time the Cayenne goes into "battery protection mode" after a couple of days only...

Will go with the Porsche recommended larger capacity VARTA H15 Silver Dynamic AGM 105Ah now.

Also, the old (well, 3,5 years :-((( ) battery was not registered in 2019, so maybe that did contribute also to the sub-optimal performance.
Will try to register the replacement battery for sure with the help of an iCarsoft POR II. The data from the VARTA H15 Silver Dynamic AGM 105Ah will work, or is there a trick to register the new battery?
Old 10-05-2022 | 03:08 PM
patpatpat
Intermediate

Is it necessary to register a new battery? I replaced my factory with a duralast. All my radio settings were preserved. But it sounds like the lack of registering might not be good for the electrical system or the car in general?
Old 10-05-2022 | 03:24 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

I spoke to a local Porsche shop about it. They said if your car has the auto-start-stop, it will disable itself at some point due to battery age, and programming a new battery resets that countdown, but otherwise, there's no difference. I was unable to register my new battery with iCarSoft or Foxwell, so I had them do it with their PIWIS. I've noticed no difference in charging voltages or anything like that,
Old 10-05-2022 | 03:35 PM
afriedrich
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tappet
I spoke to a local Porsche shop about it. They said if your car has the auto-start-stop, it will disable itself at some point due to battery age, and programming a new battery resets that countdown, but otherwise, there's no difference. I was unable to register my new battery with iCarSoft or Foxwell, so I had them do it with their PIWIS. I've noticed no difference in charging voltages or anything like that,
I found this and will give it a try with iCarSoft POR II:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1256...w-battery.html
Here are some codes that should work for the 105 Ah battery:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...iscussion.html
At around post #1090
Old 10-05-2022 | 03:38 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Those codes did not work for me - but I think the software version on my iCarSoft has a bug, no matter what you put in for amp hours, it submits "N/A", and the car rejects it. I tried the latest version too.
Old 10-16-2022 | 12:35 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Anyone try a Group 49 Lithium battery?
https://www.techbatterysolutions.com...anate-battery/
They are supposed to be lighter, have more power, and last way longer
Old 10-16-2022 | 01:06 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toreador
Anyone try a Group 49 Lithium battery?
https://www.techbatterysolutions.com...anate-battery/
They are supposed to be lighter, have more power, and last way longer
They are supposed to last way longer but they have a way shorter warranty? 1 Year is a no Buy in my book.
Old 10-19-2022 | 10:04 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
They are supposed to last way longer but they have a way shorter warranty? 1 Year is a no Buy in my book.
That's a good point
Old 10-20-2022 | 09:33 AM
englishbull911
Track Day

Default Battery question

We recently bought a used 958 with unknown service history.
Does anyone know how to tell when it is time to get a new battery?
thanks
Old 10-21-2022 | 12:21 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

You can check the voltage with a voltmeter when the car has been sitting for awhile and there is a 'battery tester' that also will tell. I have a 2013 diesel and changed the battery at 63K miles- voltage was down a bit after sitting so I didn't want to take a chance of it dying in cold weather.
Old 10-21-2022 | 02:15 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by englishbull911
We recently bought a used 958 with unknown service history.
Does anyone know how to tell when it is time to get a new battery?
thanks
If the Cayenne is more than five years old and you start experiencing almost any kind of electrical or electronic issue...and you post the question here...the very first question asked will be "how old is the battery."

That is when you know it is time to replace the battery.

(seriously...)
Dr. G7 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022 | 02:24 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
You can check the voltage with a voltmeter...
A regular voltmeter would not be an accurate (reliable) test. An almost dead battery will read about 12V. Any Autozone/O'Reilly/Pep Boys type place has specialized battery testers; they place a load across the battery when testing. They will do the test for free...and (depending on the store of course) will not try to sell you a battery if your battery is OK

Quick Reply: 958 Battery Questions..