Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne S vs 2014 Q7 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016 | 10:52 PM
MIQ7TDI
2nd Gear

Default Cayenne S vs 2014 Q7 TDI

I have a '14 Q7 TDI. My first Audi and I love it! I don't drive a lot of miles, but enjoy it in all conditions. Big enough to haul 2 kids and stuff around, tow a 5,500 lb boat, etc. I especially like how it doesn't drive or feel like a bus, which is what I think every time I drive a Yukon.

I am thinking about giving the Q7 to my wife to go full time hauling kids and getting a Cayenne S for me. Pricing is affordable but frivolous. Looking for feedback on all around performance/utility.

Can anybody offer comments compared to Q7? Obviously a bit smaller and the S has more horsepower. Wondering how that translates to experience?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2016 | 11:55 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Which MY CS are you shopping? I compared the Q7 (very nice) & CS (958.1) and the Porsche made the Audi feel like a bus.
Old 02-02-2016 | 02:20 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Do you like driving? Like is it fun to you? The cayenne will give you a lot more communication. Audi SUVs have more over-boosted steering and the suspension is tuned for the masses. There is going to be more understeer, vaguer steering and just less sharpness overall. Then there are the packaging and aesthetic differences that are up to the individual to decide. Audi interiors always feel a bit sterile to me. Like a really nice German Buick. Still, this is a super easy thing to figure out. Go drive a CS!
Old 02-02-2016 | 11:02 PM
MIQ7TDI
2nd Gear

My bias for my ride is new. I hand wash and wax my car and keep it spotless. Wife's car is another story. I'd consider a low mile used. So looking at 2015 to '16 model most likely.

I am one of the warped who like to drive an SUV, but want performance of a car. Seems Cayenne might be the best at that.

Thanks for input. Keep it coming!
Old 02-02-2016 | 11:32 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

"I am one of the warped who like to drive an SUV, but want performance of a car. Seems Cayenne might be the best at that."

I have the same "problem" and yes, nothing does that better than a Porsche SUV (Macan included). I'd love a 911 in principle, but in everyday use I love the SUV versatility that the Cayenne offers. The Cayenne suspension can be configured a number of ways that really chnage the feel of the car (Air Suspension, PASM, PDCC, PTV, etc). S models are tougher to find with suspension upgrades but I highly recommend you try out the different set ups if you can. FWIW, After having a standard suspension loaner for a day or two, my air suspension CS feels so much sharper. Whatever you choose, the CS is a physics defying SUV. Don't test drive a turbo either, you will regret it...
Old 02-03-2016 | 03:16 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

You can get a lot of car in a lightly used turbo for the price of a new CS. There are many used cars that are a couple years old that for all practical purposes are new. Like they are so lightly used in appearance that it's a non issue to me from a standpoint of wear. So if the vehicle costs many tens of thousands less doesn't that offset any latent concern about repairs? One is so much more likely to win with a used luxury car than not. I guess I'm just not so picky that I have to have my vehicle tailor made just so to be happy. I'd rather have a well optioned turbo or gts with a few miles and save some real money (like $30-60k). I respect that we are all different and some really want the joy of being the first owner of something that was made just to their specifications. For me it would just set up too many expectations from which to fall down from. I can't get butt hurt about a dash rattle when I got a huge discount from msrp by buying used. So in the end I'm happier not buying new.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs 2014 Q7 TDI