Sponsored By:

Cayenne e-hybrid e-noise generator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:07 AM
gman99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne e-hybrid e-noise generator

I own a 2012 Hybrid Cayenne that's been rock solid (30,000miles), and I lease a 2015 Panamera e-hybrid.......love them both, but like the full silence of around town distances electric-only driving the Panamera can offer. Thinking of leasing a Cayenne e-hybrid, too. Recent test drive was disappointing because I found the car much noisier. Although dealership was unaware and I found no reference to this in the manual, I lifted off a couple of the plastic engine covers and readily found a made in Italy speaker/sound-generator box. I disconnected the two wire plug to it......and the quietness returned. Error code appeared, however: "E-Sound" not operational.......wish I could disable this function another way, but I can't see how. The error code is not terribly annoying other than the fact that it comes on everytime I start the car (dealership lent me their demo for a few days so that is how I was able to sort this out). I'm all for pedestrian safety, but I don't live in an urban setting and prefer the silence. I wonder if the error code would go away if I simply jumped the two wires going to the stupid E-sound box...........any electrical engineers out there?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:58 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Can you post a pic of the speakers/sound generator... curious if they are on my SEH.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 04-30-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 AM
ndx
Racer

It can be disabled with Piwis
Old 05-01-2015, 02:06 AM
gman99
AutoX

here's a picture-see attachment
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2015, 02:10 AM
gman99
AutoX

Default piwis?

Forgive my ignorance but what is piwis?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Darn, mine has it also. I removed it and tried to figure a way to defeat it. No love w/o getting the eSound error. I removed the box, not much in there but a speaker and two wires. Tried to jump the wires, no luck. I will have to figure out the PIWIS option.

Here are some pics.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You might be able to leave everything connected but stuff the front of the speaker with foam or cotton so it can't vibrate. No vibration, no sound.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom M
You might be able to leave everything connected but stuff the front of the speaker with foam or cotton so it can't vibrate. No vibration, no sound.
That may be an option. Hoping some one smarter then me will figure how to just deactivate it. Maybe a resistor between the two leads.

Glad to know Porsche spent time building a warning into the MFD if you just unplug the speaker.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:54 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the reason?

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ctric-vehicles
Old 05-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997xpress
Yep. I am sure that it is. Just like the confirm button we have to press before accessing the Nav and the stickers about air bags. Gotta love the bloated regulations we have.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:39 PM
gman99
AutoX

I think that mechanically stopping the speaker cone from vibrating will work, but I worry that this solution could cause the speaker coil to heat up......perhaps excessively so......given that the speaker seems to be on at high volume at all times, I'd prefer to find another way to disable this system.....without having to deal with an error code every time I restart the car.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned PIWIS......what is that?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:11 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

You can buy high-watt ceramic resistors in 2, 4 or 8ohm configurations. I don't have a e-noise unit available, but I'd check the wattage and impedance of the existing speaker and simply replace it with an appropriately-sized ceramic resistor, such as can be found at Parts-Express:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...esistor--004-8
Old 05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gman99
I think that mechanically stopping the speaker cone from vibrating will work, but I worry that this solution could cause the speaker coil to heat up......perhaps excessively so......given that the speaker seems to be on at high volume at all times, I'd prefer to find another way to disable this system.....without having to deal with an error code every time I restart the car.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned PIWIS......what is that?
PIWIS is the diagnostic tool the dealerships (and some flush indies) use to diagnose and code different modules in Porsches.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
You can buy high-watt ceramic resistors in 2, 4 or 8ohm configurations. I don't have a e-noise unit available, but I'd check the wattage and impedance of the existing speaker and simply replace it with an appropriately-sized ceramic resistor, such as can be found at Parts-Express:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...esistor--004-8
Thanks for the info... I went to the garage got out my trusty multi-meter and took the unit apart to measure. Once apart, I noticed the speaker actually had a sticker on it stating 4 ohms (measured 3.5 with my meter). But nothing stating the Watts. Is there an easy way to figure that out? I know it is some factor of volts and amps, but no clue to to decipher that based on the wiring in the car.

I would like to try the ceramic resistor if I can figure out which one I need.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

You just require a resistor that matches up fairly closely to the speaker, it says 4 ohms of resistance on the speaker, just need to install one resistor to mimic the speaker being in the system.

Quick Reply: Cayenne e-hybrid e-noise generator