Sponsored By:

Cayenne e-hybrid e-noise generator

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
Thanks for the info... I went to the garage got out my trusty multi-meter and took the unit apart to measure. Once apart, I noticed the speaker actually had a sticker on it stating 4 ohms (measured 3.5 with my meter). But nothing stating the Watts. Is there an easy way to figure that out? I know it is some factor of volts and amps, but no clue to to decipher that based on the wiring in the car.

I would like to try the ceramic resistor if I can figure out which one I need.

Thanks
It's unfortunate but not surprising that the wattage isn't on that sticker. Watts isn't something you can really measure. I suppose you could measure the amps going into the noise maker module, and multiply that by 14.4v. Looking at the fuse and doing some math would tell us the maximum wattage the amp could draw, but that's not terribly useful.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the fuse and its a 5 amp... and draws 13.4v at the fuse. I was hoping that pulling it would deactivate the eSound and not throw a warning...but I still got the warning. Ironically the fuse is described as ehybrid outside sound / inside sound. Which indicates there is an inside speaker too... jeez.

Probably just going to try the 4 ohm 20w Ceramic Resistor. If it works, great. If not, I will just move on to the next useless project

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 05-05-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM
gman99
AutoX

Having seen the speaker first-hand, I'd estimate that it is rated for 5W-15W.

Perhaps one could use the following resistor:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...esistor--004-4

Anyone disagree?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:10 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gman99
Having seen the speaker first-hand, I'd estimate that it is rated for 5W-15W.

Perhaps one could use the following resistor:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...esistor--004-4

Anyone disagree?
Seems reasonable. With that 5a fuse, the MOST it could draw is < 70 watts, but that'll be a peak situation that blows a fuse.

Really, there's no problem with getting the highest-watt resistor you can find. All that a Watt rating means on a resistor is how good it is a dissipating heat.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM
gman99
AutoX

Can anyone figure out where, assuming one actually exists, the accompanying inside speaker is?..........if there also is noise generation inside the vehicle, I would imagine that they'd use the existing speaker system......
Old 05-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Well I silenced the car today. I followed the advise posted above and replaced the speaker with a 10ohm (20 watt) resistor that I ordered for $5 off of amazon. It worked great... car is completely silent and no warnings on the MFD. Easy fix if you want to remove the fake engine sound. Also completely (and easily) reversible.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:10 PM
gman99
AutoX

Vehicle is surely noticeably quieter now, right? Any evidence of another (inside) speaker? I am poised to order a new Cayenne e-hybrid to replace my 2012 1st gen Hybrid. If I wait a little longer, it looks like I'll have more plug-in hybrid offerings from other manufacturers to choose from......no less than Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW. There have been times that I wished the Cayenne could squeeze in two more people, but apart from other offerings having potentially more room inside, I doubt that any will handle and drive as well as the Cayenne. Comments?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:31 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Vehicle is surely noticeably quieter now, right? Any evidence of another (inside) speaker? I am poised to order a new Cayenne e-hybrid to replace my 2012 1st gen Hybrid. If I wait a little longer, it looks like I'll have more plug-in hybrid offerings from other manufacturers to choose from......no less than Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW. There have been times that I wished the Cayenne could squeeze in two more people, but apart from other offerings having potentially more room inside, I doubt that any will handle and drive as well as the Cayenne. Comments?
Was waiting for options as well.

- Volvo, not much range. Way less than what was originally advertised. No Fast charge option, limited to 3.3-3.6kw charger. Can not fully recharge the battery with the ICE. Base price is close to $70K and have you looked at the option list pricing? They are close to Porsche (air suspension, skid plates, etc.)!

- BMW - Enven less range. very disappointed.

- Cayenne - Fully charge the battery with ICE, 7.2 KW onboard charger as an option. Decent range up to 20 miles. Operates as a Sporty SUV in Sport mode. $5500 tax credit
Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Vehicle is surely noticeably quieter now, right? Any evidence of another (inside) speaker?
I think it is noticeably quieter when i start in my garage and at low speed, but once you are driving faster you have tire / wind noise, so it is not a huge difference there. Still think it is better overall (quiet). The electric motor still has a very slight hum.

I have not found any evidence of an interior speaker (regardless of what the description on the fuse said). In fact with the eSound off and it being eerily quiet, I would have no problem hearing an interior sound generator...but don.t hear anything.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 02-05-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM
appleco1
2nd Gear

Default hum killer

I followed your advice and soldered that exact resistor to the top speaker and i still have the hum...matter of fact,it might be louder! I wonder if there is another speaker?
More not good news..check engine light

Is yours still working?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:35 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by appleco1
I followed your advice and soldered that exact resistor to the top speaker and i still have the hum...matter of fact,it might be louder! I wonder if there is another speaker?
More not good news..check engine light

Is yours still working?

You don't solder it to the speaker. You solder it between the incoming leads and leave the speaker disconnected.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Well I silenced the car today. I followed the advise posted above and replaced the speaker with a 10ohm (20 watt) resistor that I ordered for $5 off of amazon. It worked great... car is completely silent and no warnings on the MFD. Easy fix if you want to remove the fake engine sound. Also completely (and easily) reversible.

Nice fix and write-up. Has anyone ever had the speaker disabled using PIWIS? Also, could you post a part number or a link to the resistor at Amazon? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Nice fix and write-up. Has anyone ever had the speaker disabled using PIWIS? Also, could you post a part number or a link to the resistor at Amazon? Thanks.
Here is the link to the 4 ohm 10 watt resistor. I actually installed a 4 ohm 20 watt (as you can see in the pic) but the 10w should work w/o issue also.

uxcell 10 Pcs Fixed Ceramic Cement Resistor 4 Ohm 10W Watt 5% - Fuses - Amazon.com uxcell 10 Pcs Fixed Ceramic Cement Resistor 4 Ohm 10W Watt 5% - Fuses - Amazon.com

They have the 20watt on Amazon also but it seems to be nearly out of stock

uxcell® Ceramic Cement Power Resistor 20W Watt 4RJ 4Ohm 10Pcs White: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific uxcell® Ceramic Cement Power Resistor 20W Watt 4RJ 4Ohm 10Pcs White: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 02-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19psi
You don't solder it to the speaker. You solder it between the incoming leads and leave the speaker disconnected.
Correct. In fact I removed the speaker and keep it out of the car.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Here is the link to the 10 ohm 20 watt resistor. I actually installed a 10 ohm 4 watt (as you can see in the pic) but it worked w/o issue also.

uxcell 5% 20W Watt 10 Ohm Ceramic Cement Power Resistors 2 Pcs: Fuses: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Thanks - just ordered. I'm going ask my dealer about disabling with PIWIS next week - even if they can do it, doubt they will since it would probably be "against the rules". I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Cayenne e-hybrid e-noise generator