Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne Diesel - Performance Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although all turbo'd cars will more easily get heat soak in hot weather.. And run better with cold air.. Your issue sounds acute. I googled toureg, q7 and 3.0 tdi + sluggish hot weather.. And there really isn't any chatter. Doesn't seem to be a wide spread fault. I think you definitely have a fault someplace. Sounds like the engine is retarding timing and reducing boost. I sure hope your car throws a code soon otherwise it's gonna be a bitch to sort out.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had issues with my fan running full bore at seemingly odd times (after a 80 mile trip in 70 degree weather, cold start in the 90s, etc..), but then not running at other times I would have expected. In all cases both the water and oil temps were sitting where they always do. I'll ask my dealer about it sometime, but I'm not too worried about it the moment.

No excessively hot days here yet.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We had a week of 100+ degF weather in SF Bay last week and while I do not have BSP I did not notice any meaurable issues driving the CD - mileage and acceleration seemed normal. I did get some loud fan noise at idle which sounded more like AC compressor than engine cooling/boost issues.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 PM
sarends
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 Touareg TDI and am strongly considering the Bluespark Pro unit - is there any reason to think it won't work as well as on the Cayenne diesel?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
That's with the tuning box. I'm at ~6400 miles, and have seen 36.2 twice recently

//greg//
6400 miles is still breaking in. Check back after 10,000.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 AM
canon_mutant
Intermediate

GrohGreg and I have both had problems with ours almost at the same time, though slightly different in nature. I'll let him chime in on his details.

As I eluded to above and in another thread, I had been having very sluggish performance when the thermometer got near or above 100F. I'm talking VERY sluggish.

I had just about resolved that it was NOT the BSP though when I took off for a trip to Maryland from Kansas and 50 miles into the trip was passing a long line of semi-trucks on the turnpike running about 78mph in a 75mph zone when I noticed a car coming up behind me, had to have been going 100+mph. So, since I had nothing but trucks to my right, I put my foot in it to get out of his way, went from 78 to 116 very quickly, so quickly in fact that he couldn't have passed me had I not pulled over and slowed back down once I got past the trucks.

I had no more than pulled over though and the dash started lighting up like a Xmas tree, numerous faults, finally settling on the "Catastrophic Engine Failure, Seek Service Immediately" icon . . . the same icon that is used for a glow plug problem when the engine is cold. See Owners Manual. Though the engine had almost NO power, since my vitals were all good, there were no noises of any kind, and frankly no safe place to pull over on the turnpike anyway, I limped to the next exit, pulled off, disconnected the BSP, and the problem went away.

After calling BSP, they suggested that the car had likely gone into limp mode and that I should not set the unit past setting 5 and 50%. I was on 7 and 75% and other than the undetermined hot weather sluggishness I had been VERY happy with the BSP's performance to date at that setting. I told BSP I did not buy the unit to only use 1/2 its capability so mine is on its way back. I am waiting to hear back from BSP on what they found with my unit, fix, replacement, or refund? I believe GrohGreg sent his back ahead of mine so he may have some more information by now if he chimes in.

I will update when BSP updates me . . .

BTW, without the BSP, my nephew and I went 2606 miles to Maryland and back on 82 gallons of diesel ~ right at 32mpg for the trip. Better than I was expecting. Would have loved to see the mpgs with the BSP on since it had been yielding 2-4mpg improvement over the stock tune just driving around here.

Garth
Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't automatically assume that the BlueSpark employee responding is actually a BSP+ technician. On rare occasion, I've received an occasional dubious response. I see it as a case of a sales type who over-estimates his/her technical knowledge on the device. Specifically, I don't agree with that one guy calling it "limp mode".

For clarification, the glow plug icon is a visual indicator that the ECU/ECM has thrown a minor error code. Restarting the engine extinguishes the icon, archives the fault, clears it, and turns the affected component back on. Examples; I saw P0236, P0199 (turbo over-pressure/under-pressure) and P0238 (boost sensor). The car does NOT go into limp mode. What you experienced, was the ECU disabling the turbo in preparation for reading the fault code. If you've ever driven a diesel that was NOT turbo-equipped, you'd likely have realized this. Once you restarted the engine, power returned because the ECM re-enabled the turbo. Limp mode is not involved.

These minor fault codes began to occur with increasing frequency, suggesting a progressive problem. For the longest time it would only affect a cold engine, then very randomly; about every 15th time I'd start and drive with a cold engine. But the frequency began to increase, until one day the GP icon illuminated after the engine was at operating temp. All downhill after that, ending in a Check Engine light. Now we're getting closer to limp mode, but not there yet. I checked the code analyzer and again found two of the three minors mentioned above, but this time there was a P0101; MAF sensor. That's considered a major code, and is what illuminated the Check Engine icon. IT still slowed the car down, but I was still under control. Using my code analyzer reset everything, but another mile down the road it happened again. I still don't believe I went into actual limp mode, but the car was definitely sluggish.

At this point I popped the hood, and removed the BSP+ boost leads - then reconnected the factory boost sensor leads. Problem solved. A month later and not one single fault code. But that also means I was no longer driving with the + part of the BSP+. I now had fuel pressure boost only, no turbo boost. That said, I finished my 328 mile trip that day getting 35.8 mpg. The next day - on the last 335 mile leg of the trip - I got 36.2 mpg.

But - because I paid for a BSP+ and now only had a BSP - I contacted BlueSpark. We ostensibly agreed that the turbo boost component of their box apparently failed. I'm expecting my replacement BSP+ in the mail this week.

FWIW, the temporarily missing BSP+ is costing me money in diesel fuel. There's a solid 3 mpg (combined) increase in fuel consumption. I'm down in 31-33 territory, which is still better than EPA estimates. But it's disappointing after being accustomed to so many months of 35-36 obtained when the BSP+ was installed.

//greg//
Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Interesting. I've got about 4k on mine and other than some dubious dyno results I don't have anything to complain about.

Greg, have you checked the connections at the box itself? I've found a couple of times now that the rings had come undone and the plugs started to work their way out. They haven't (yet) come all the way out, but I could see that causing issues if it worked out enough to that the connection was no longer sound.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM
grohgreg
Pro

No obvious connector issues, mine came with Porsche-compatible posi-lock connectors. In fact, the most time consuming part of removing my box for return was getting the damn connector locks to release.

//greg//
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Greg, I'm talking about the connectors on the box itself, not where it patches into the car. They are barrel plugs with a screw on ring to hold them in place. My rings have come undone and the plugs have started to work their way out a couple of times.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM
linksamui
Advanced

There a german system thats plug and play raise the commonrail pressure and boost level on the diesel model. My friend have ruf rd30s wasn't too happy with it so he added this extra box. even with the obd 2 scan by technician at ruf dealership. He still got away with having the box in place. No dyno graph to brag but the responsive and power measure by butt dyno feel faster.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Good chance it's the same architecture (if not the same box) that the BSP+ s based upon

//greg//
Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM
linksamui
Advanced

http://www.speed-buster.de/en/chiptu...69-5-335-1020/

The installer that did it for my friend he would asked for the chassis number to verify what year the car is and also which plugs for the car and also the type of ECU system it have. He would then have about 5 different setup he would let you test them out to pick the one that suited you most. Like I said never been on the dyno with this setup up. After going through all the setup the installer have and test drove through them all. You'll feel the different in the acceleration pedal and the way the car would move off the line or even going from 60km up to 100+km. A full pedal to the metal would send you serious glue to the seats at this point. Made the car more fun to drive.

Noted RUF RD30S use a different turbo than the standard cayenne diesel and they tuned the ecu to RUF spec. So Look up the spec sheet.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM
canon_mutant
Intermediate

Well, problem is that it didn't go away by simply power cycling the engine. Now I didn't think to just disconnect the turbo side of BSP like you did, I took it out, but I suspect that is what went bad in mine as well. Unfortunately, without a code reader, I am speculating. Frankly, not knowing exactly how it works, I would have been afraid to just disconnect one side and try driving it that way but you obviously know more about these things than I do. This is my first aftermarket performance enhancement attempt with turbodiesel.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this sounds exciting but is it really worth it !

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel - Performance Upgrade?