Sponsored By:

958: Sport Chrono questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 958: Sport Chrono questions

Even though my Analog clock wasn't broken, my dealer replaced it with a chrono stop watch under warranty due to the ticking driving me nuts.

However they set it up, the seconds hand is always running and it ticks too (aren't cars supposed to be quieter these days?), though its not as bad as the analog clock (lower pitch and consistent through the whole minute).

What I didn't find, however, is the Chrono menus where I can setup the stop watch and use it. So I have two questions.

1) For others that have had their analog clock upgraded like this, do you have the chrono menus now?

2) For those that have the chrono menus (chrono package buyers?), when in clock mode does the second hand always run? Can you turn it off?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

No one has the chrono in a 958?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 CTT.. When my clock died it was replaced with another analog clock. MY13 CTT did not offer sport chrono so I was certain that if I got a sport chrono clock there would be no menu (or software) to facilitate it. That may be your issue.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How fitting, I just got my car back today with the clock finally replaced after being back-ordered forever from Germany.

Same looking analog clock I had before, but now works! (at least for the drive back from the dealer)

I also now hear the ticking! ... not sure if it was there before (during the brief instances when it worked) ... or if gnat's incessant complaining about the ticking has now heightened my senses, and it has started bothering me now that I have become "aware".

I think I can live with it though
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Glad I could help pass on my neurosis Steve
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

I was obsessive compulsive long before reading your posts gnat!

All morning on the way to work I have been listening to the ticks, and you are right, they are not consistent throughout the minute sweep. Each second has a different amplitude, or sound signature, and there are auditory patterns within each quadrant.

I am starting to kind-of like this feature, the clock is talking to me. Like whales communicating, or a bat flying blindly through a dark cave! My brain is creating a synced temporal link through my ears!

Ok, gotta stop reading gnats incessancy!

P.S. Had the same same issue with a $6000 swiss watch. Was driving me crazy at night, since I started counting minutes to the slight difference in tick sounds throughout the sweep. Had it serviced, and they stated they modified the design for me, since nobody had ever complained about this! Although I can just imagine the look on the Porsche Mechanics face when you complained your clock ticking sounded inconsistent!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I just said "clock" and they immediately started telling me that there were lots of issues and Porsche was upgrading them to the chrono option. I feel kinda bad since it was still functioning, but I like the digital display there better and I can drive around in mostly silence now
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Rick Schmitz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced clock

finally got my clock replacement in - this one ticks too, but much "softer" than the old one. One interesting thing I noticed is that when the old clock was "resting" only the small second had needle would go to sleep at 12:00, now with the new clock, all of the hands go to the 12:00 position when it is asleep. I think our Swabisch friends are WAY over thinking this whole clock thing
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Aarrrggg!! I have gone insane, damn you gnat!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Oh my. That was good.

I think I'll start following you around the forum and just respond "Tick Tick Tick" to all your posts
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Thanks to all who posted this. I am DEFINITELY getting the compass option!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

you get a compass in Vehicle Displays if you desire.
Kinda no need to get the compass display on the dash, when sport chrono offeres so much more in the way of driver info and koolness.
Its one thing to replace the ticking analog clock with chrono (provided software installed) but I would not get compass display on a factory order car that can have chrono.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by RAKLAW
you get a compass in Vehicle Displays if you desire.
Kinda no need to get the compass display on the dash, when sport chrono offeres so much more in the way of driver info and koolness.
Its one thing to replace the ticking analog clock with chrono (provided software installed) but I would not get compass display on a factory order car that can have chrono.
What does chrono do besides display a stopwatch? I didn't think it served any function on a Cayenne besides that...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Besides stopwatch feature it offers choice of digital display for stopwatch time or regular clock time.
also has a baby (minature round clock in guage that displays time with hour and minute hand.
As i said, in Vehicle Display guage in the cluster guage next to tach, you can display a linear compass all the time.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the chrono is ordered (with software) can the ticking on the mini clock be stopped? If the ticking on the mini clock can not be stopped, is it as loud (and annoying) as the standard option clock ticking?
I guess the dash compass option would be nice if you like to have nav or another screen in view instead of the digital lcd compass screen. If driving to the mountains to ski, the altimeter function on the dash compass is also kind of cool.

Quick Reply: 958: Sport Chrono questions