Sponsored By:

Radio Always on After Car Starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
NSDDS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Always on After Car Starts

Hey guys. New here. Just bought a 2011 Cayenne. One little thing that's not a big deal but is driving me nuts is that the radio is always on after I start the car. Sometimes the volume is really high and it startles me. I tried turning it off and storing it to seat memory before I shut the car off. Nothing is working. I have the Bose package so I don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 AM
VorsprungDurchTechnik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NSDDS
Hey guys. New here. Just bought a 2011 Cayenne. One little thing that's not a big deal but is driving me nuts is that the radio is always on after I start the car. Sometimes the volume is really high and it startles me. I tried turning it off and storing it to seat memory before I shut the car off. Nothing is working. I have the Bose package so I don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice in advance.
I have an '09 Cayenne and it does the exact same thing. I have yet to figure out a workaround solution. Dare I say it, but I fear that it might be a carryover from the VW parts (Touareg) bin...... I say this because my Cayman S radio does not behave in this manner.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't own a '09+ Pepper but have driven a few loaners, as was posted here in the past you need to push and hold the power button to turn it off. It drove me nuts because all I was doing is muting it, then when I got back in the car it was on again. I was never turning it off in the first place.

Hope this solves it.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Don't own a '09+ Pepper but have driven a few loaners, as was posted here in the past you need to push and hold the power button to turn it off.
+1. This way on start-up, you might be able to get a cameo glimpse of the Porsche logo in full color on your screen.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 AM
NSDDS
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. Tried it and works. Only thing is the whole screen shuts off, and not just the radio, but now i'm just being spoiled.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NSDDS
Thanks guys. Tried it and works. Only thing is the whole screen shuts off, and not just the radio, but now i'm just being spoiled.
If you want the screen to already be on when you turn on the ignition, but don't want the radio to be blaring here's an idea. Instead of shutting PCM down, switch to an inactive audio mode like AUX where there is no sound. You could also switch to switch to NAV or MAP etc. The next time you start the ignition the screen will come on displaying map info but there will no annoying blast of music. And the backup camera will be enabled if so equipped.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-29-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 AM
NSDDS
3rd Gear

That's a great idea. I'll try that. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Cayenne1
3rd Gear

There are a lot of posts around about this design flaw with the PCM audio. Porshe has refused or can't fix this issue. It's more than it coming on when you start the car, it'll come off mute any chance it can get when driving.

In my e-mail from Porsche after getting my Cayenne, I had several comments to the "what can be done better?" question. I submitted that even my '57 Beetle had an off position on the radio that worked. Perhaps they should consult with VW engineers on how to do it.

As you might gather, I'm really annoyed by this lack of cabin basics. There are some other poorly thought out cabin features as well that will influence my decision to look at this car at trade in time. Things come to light once the new car honeymoon is over and you start looking at the Cayenne as a daily car verses a show pony. I wouldn't be so harsh if Porsche wasn't so obstinate.

So, Porsche, if you care, patch PCM so we can turn the radio OFF. And, while you’re at it, let us turn the radio on with the car off without timing out to save the battery. Otherwise, if you do want to listen to the radio while waiting to pick someone up, you have to keep the car running. Kind of defeats that auto-stop feature.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayenne1
There are a lot of posts around about this design flaw with the PCM audio. Porshe has refused or can't fix this issue. It's more than it coming on when you start the car, it'll come off mute any chance it can get when driving.

In my e-mail from Porsche after getting my Cayenne, I had several comments to the "what can be done better?" question. I submitted that even my '57 Beetle had an off position on the radio that worked. Perhaps they should consult with VW engineers on how to do it.

As you might gather, I'm really annoyed by this lack of cabin basics. There are some other poorly thought out cabin features as well that will influence my decision to look at this car at trade in time. Things come to light once the new car honeymoon is over and you start looking at the Cayenne as a daily car verses a show pony. I wouldn't be so harsh if Porsche wasn't so obstinate.

So, Porsche, if you care, patch PCM so we can turn the radio OFF. And, while you’re at it, let us turn the radio on with the car off without timing out to save the battery. Otherwise, if you do want to listen to the radio while waiting to pick someone up, you have to keep the car running. Kind of defeats that auto-stop feature.
What other issues are you referring to with the cabin? I'm really happy with mine after 3 months and close to 2,500 miles. I rarely use the mute function or turn off the radio, but when I have, it seems to work just fine. I've also never owned a car that allowed the stereo to be turned on when the car is completely off, usually you have to at least turn the ignition to the on position without starting the car so the battery is engaged. Guess everyone can't be happy....
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cayenne1
So, Porsche, if you care, patch PCM so we can turn the radio OFF.
I don't understand the part about not being able to turn off the radio. If you press and hold the on/off button it turns the radio off and it stays off even when the car is restarted, until you press the button again.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

what I think the problem is .. or at least my problem .. I would like to be able to start the car with the radio off and the PCM on. meaning if I am backing up I would like my rear view camera to be on without my radio being on. So PCM on when car starts, but not the radio, cd,ipod, etc.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:11 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
what I think the problem is .. or at least my problem .. I would like to be able to start the car with the radio off and the PCM on. meaning if I am backing up I would like my rear view camera to be on without my radio being on. So PCM on when car starts, but not the radio, cd,ipod, etc.
How about just turning the volume all the way down or muting it prior to shutting the car off? Not exactly the same thing, but essentially gets you to the same place. If it's coming back on when you get back into the car, it's being stored in the key- just need to store it again the way you want.

I really don't know how many times I've ever turned off a car stereo. I get it when things just bug, but this one seems so easy to solve for?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

I turn it down to 0 all the time. When car is turned on, it goes back to some volume that is higher than when I shut it off. A factory preset volume. I wish it was that easy. Radio should be able to be off ... when the PCM is on. Most likely a simple fix for Porsche or someone to figure it out.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
See post #6 above.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

yes I read the post. I have Ipod through my aux, so that doesnt help me.

Quick Reply: Radio Always on After Car Starts