Cayenne S no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 07:25 PM
Kkamel
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne S no start

Hi folks,
2012 Cayenne S. 130k. Had it less than a month.
Tried to start it. Lights come on but no crank. Battery is showing 12.5v. Replaced starter relay. I think I can hear it click but still nothing. Any recommendations?
Old 08-10-2024, 09:19 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Voltage is only one of several numbers needed but informs you little about the health of the battery. Really need the info from a battery tester, aka conductance tester and the battery's born on date. Autoparts, Walmart auto service stores have them and you can get them on Amazon, search "conductance battery tester", about $30. Your battery is an H8 AGM. Walmart is my go to, decent warranty and they are everywhere.

Whether it is the battery or not, if you order the battery tester, also order a Triple square bit 3/8 drive size 10 for the 4 seat rail bolts, and some torx bits if you do not already have them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-caye...nt-access.html

Old 08-10-2024, 09:30 PM
Kkamel
6th Gear

I didn't think it was the battery simply because I didn't see any weakness in the lights or radio but I'll look into it. thanks. Oh, and I tried jumping it and it didn't change anything.
Old 08-10-2024, 09:54 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

you might try disconnecting the ground cable at the rear of the driver's footwell. It is under a precut area of the carpet. Leave it disconnected for about 30 minutes. Then reconnect. More than one Cayenne owner has had this trick work. We have so many modules (computers) through out the car that sometimes a complete cold reboot of all of the modules works.
Old 08-10-2024, 11:02 PM
Kkamel
6th Gear

I'll try it. Thanks for helping me.
Old 08-11-2024, 05:18 PM
Kkamel
6th Gear

Ok so I disconnected the battery for 30 mins. I charged for 30 mins bc it was reading 12.3
The car still doesn't want to start (no sound) plus I get an error message saying "Battery discharge protection battery at 70%" which wasn't there before.
Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2024, 05:55 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kkamel
Ok so I disconnected the battery for 30 mins. I charged for 30 mins bc it was reading 12.3
The car still doesn't want to start (no sound) plus I get an error message saying "Battery discharge protection battery at 70%" which wasn't there before.
Any ideas?
Well 12.3 volts is about 70% for an AGM.

Under the drivers seat, left side, there is an opening to a switch, of sorts. Post 11 in https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...on-active.html
Old 08-11-2024, 06:14 PM
Kkamel
6th Gear

I reset the switch and the warning went away. thanks for that.
But the car still doesn't start. Could it be that a starter cable is loose? or maybe a ground cable is loose somewhere?
Old 08-11-2024, 06:35 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

If you could get under the hood and listen for the click of the starter solenoid while someone turns the key, that might provide a clue. The starter lives at the top rear of the engine under the intake manifold. There is a second test using the jumper connecting point under the hood. put your volt meter across the positive and negative and have the helper turn the key again to start so you can look for voltage drop.

I assume that you have checked all of the fuses related to powering modules and items related to starting.

You mentioned getting lights when you turned the key. I presume that you are referring to the instrument panel lights.
Old 08-11-2024, 08:38 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Similar symptoms lead to starter being replaced. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...o-codes-2.html

If you replace the starter, see post #26. Since you would have the manifold off, Garrett (and many, if not all of us) highly recommends pinning the thermostat housing pipes, replace with new the coolant vent line, pinning the rear driver's side firewall coolant pipe, and might as well replace the o-ring at the hose to coolant tank connection (it is inside the hose).
Old 08-11-2024, 09:54 PM
Kkamel
6th Gear

The stater relay is brand new. I replaced it hoping it would be that simple.
I did check the fuse (48) and it’s good. I don’t know about powering modules. How do I check them?
also, I think it’s time for an OBDII scanner special to Porsche. What do you guys use?

Quick Reply: Cayenne S no start