finding the right clockspring for me

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 10:15 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts
Default finding the right clockspring for me

2014 CD was treating me as well as a leaking CD can (the difficulty in getting Strong Porsche booked and getting the vehicle to them when reservations are months out is a story for another day) but the sun was not treating the MF steering wheel's finish all that well. Originally, I assumed 'fine, I've swapped steering wheels, and I've even lived stupidly dangerously and done so without disconnecting the battery in multiple vehicles. So I found a salvage wheel, followed the instructions for removal of the original wheel, and presto-changeo, I get an airbag light. Durametric indicated two errors, one tied to both stage 1 and 2. In reviewing the matter, I determined the solution was 'Durametric is dumb' so I sourced an aftermarket reader (when VCDS failed to deactivate the light) and find myself now with an error tied specifically to stage 2. Voltage too low.

I see a couple possibilities; the first is that the airbag module itself has 'gone bad' in the violence of gently disconnecting it, setting it on the center arm rest, and then connecting it back up. The three connectors are color coded, and unless there is a specific sequence involved, I promise no hammer was involved in attacking the process.

The second possibility is that in removing the wheel, I have damaged the clockspring in some fashion. This is the more likely scenario, but I find myself looking at far more options than anticipated in trying to track down the -right- clockspring assembly to replace mine with. My CD has headlamp washers, the vehicle lacks radar guided cruise, there is no voice recognition. The steering wheel is heated. I decided 'because I'm already stupid' to go for the 958.2 upgrade, but while I'm waiting for that train to leave the station on the way for the next wreck, I'm hoping there might be someone out there familiar enough with the myriad of choices to provide a part number so I can rule out the clock spring as well. Thanks!

Quick Reply: finding the right clockspring for me