Sponsored By:

Creaking me out. . . ,

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 12:12 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Creaking me out. . . ,

2017 GTS - 60K miles - Love this vehicle but get highly irritating creak sounds when traversing/hitting small sharp bumps in road. Otherwise the car is remarkably quiet without rattles or squeaks. Seems like this noise is coming from the drivers side door and maybe near the upper part of the door. Externally, nothing seems to be loose when you try to find some part that moves. The creak sound has been there since I acquired it at 30K miles but recent local road construction has greatly increased the frequency of hitting bumps with the accompanying creaks. Anyone else suffering this condition and/or have found a solution? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

The door panel is comprised of a few pieces (wood trim, armrest, and panel) with some plastic on plastic connections that can squeak and creak. You can remove the wood trim and arm rest pretty easily and put some felt tape around there. That did help my drivers door feel a bit more solid.
Old 07-22-2024, 03:06 PM
Daveheardt
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for felt tape.
I live in a city with a lot of cobblestone. I was super excited to take my childhood dream car home but that "plastic on plastic" experienced ruined it. The very first thing I did after acquiring the car was to Google this and then how to remove various trim pieces. I felt tape everywhere I can hear creaking noise when applying soft pressure with my hand and I haven't heard a creek since. My breaks squeal and my suspensions sound like a horny porcupine but the interior is silent
The following users liked this post:
will_atl (07-25-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:03 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, thanks for your quick responses and relevant suggestions, particularly since you've had some positive outcomes using felt tape. At the moment I don't have a clue about how to disassemble the various panels on the door so I'll likely Google as suggested. While I'm at it, my curiosity may force me to Google for horny porcupine sounds just to see what I may be missing out on. LOL
Old 07-23-2024, 02:21 PM
NKCowboy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

On my Mercedes CLK 55 AMG in the rear it sounds more like gerbils doing something naughty.

Felt tape might work there too. Where to buy?
Old 07-24-2024, 10:51 AM
Daveheardt
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NKCowboy
On my Mercedes CLK 55 AMG in the rear it sounds more like gerbils doing something naughty.

Felt tape might work there too. Where to buy?
Most hardware stores should have that. Since you are in France you can also just order it from the French Amazon:

Quick Reply: Creaking me out. . . ,