Sponsored By:

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 11:41 AM
958UK
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Squeal

Anybody else had brake squeal issues with new discs / pads ?

Originally put on Pagid pads but front right corner started squealing after a month or so - only when coming to a slow stop (light braking) or riding the brakes going slowly down a hill.

Read some negative reviews on Pagid pads and so decided to switch to Brembo and also installed new Brembo discs at the same time.

After a few days, squeal returned - the same corner. The other side is fine.

Everywhere is greased that needs to be greased (pins & metal/metal contact points) new calliper springs & calliper bolts (genuine) as well.

One bit of conflicting advice I am reading is about greasing the backs of the pads - should you or should you not.... both installations, I did and used a high temp ceramic grease.

Any similar experiences or any advice would be appreciated !

Thanks

Old 07-22-2024, 02:58 PM
Daveheardt
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2011 CD owner here. Bought mine a couple of months ago and started DIY'ing things. My breaks had the squeal on Day 1 and I initially thought the pads were nearing their EOL (or at least the front pair) since all 4 disks were almost brand new. I bought a full 4 set altogether, just so I can drive feeling safe that I have 4 brand new pads installed. It took me like 10 hours to install all 4 (I am newbie at this, don't judge :P) but I was proud to do it all by myself, alone. Took the car for a drive and in less than 5 KMs I heard the squeal when slowing down for a traffic light.
I went to the workshop that sold me the pads. They were surprised and considered the pads to be faulty since it's not supposed to happen with disks installed only 4 months ago (less than 1000 miles ago). They generously offered to change the pads for free with a brand new set. Went back a couple of days later and they changed the pads (much, much quicker than me). The very next day I took the kid for a drive and I had a very smooth stopping experience the entire time. That lasted about a week and the squeal returned.

I don't know what it is but I honestly can't be bothered more with it. I have just accepted to live with it, I am not going to change brand new disks or a 3rd set of pads just to get rid of the sound. As long as the breaks are working well - I'll just let them squeal.

P.S.
I bought the car with Brembo pads and disks. The disks are still in place but the pads I went for are more "budget-friendly" because I was warned that I'd be changing pads every 6 months or so. Thus I bought the ATE package, which was only $250 USD for all 4. With the cheapest option being $80, the $250 should be budget enough but not "too cheap", I suppose ?

Last edited by Daveheardt; 07-22-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:14 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 306 Posts

Are the rotors true - no warpage? Are they glazed at all? I had that happen when my brakes were changed and it drove me crazy - went back to my indy a few times until it was fixed. Can’t remember if I ended up needing new rotors or what but it solved the problem for sure.
Old 07-22-2024, 10:03 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 109 Posts

Try a proper bed-in process. (60mph to 5mph using moderately hard pressure x5- 10 times)
The following users liked this post:
twokbolt (07-23-2024)
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
958UK
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I am at the point where I have almost tried everything. Have even changed the piston seals in case one of the pistons was sticking a bit causing a vibration.

All the pistons looked fine and went back in OK - although one of them did require a bit more "persuasion".

The last thing I am going to do is replace the shims with the original ones with no grease - my reasoning being that there was no squeal prior to changing the pads and they were dry when I took them out.

After that... I'm stumped.. So frustrating

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal