Sponsored By:

958 Cayenne Turbo Market Snapshot

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 09:00 PM
twokbolt
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
I just picked up a Turbo S with 143K miles. Had a PPI done and the rotor condition was inconclusive; I passed on the $1100 fee for the Porsche dealer to use the carboteq tool to evaluate rotor quality.
The rotors look fine and stop fantastic. After I got the car home, I went to the parts guy at the local P-dealer and his quote for rotors and miscellaneous hardware (no pads) came to $23,700 tax included.
That's $5801 for the front rotors and $4490 for the rears. He said they could usually give some discount on those list prices, 20% or so. I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes to pass that new rotors are needed.

Mark
There are three inspection circles you can check, you can mic the thickness of them and you can weigh them. My inspection circles are barely noticeable and they mic'ed within 1mm of new thickness after 80k miles. I haven't taken them off to weight them yet.
Old 07-22-2024, 09:22 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,562 Likes on 2,132 Posts

What a great thread!
I'm a long time Cayenne owner and currently own four. And yes, I am aware that there is a fine line between "hobby and mental illness".

The four:
09 Turbo, 85k, Sand over Grey and slathered in options.
16 Turbo S, 93k, Rhodium Silver over two tone Silver/Black. Slathered in options Burmester, PDCC, ACC, PDLS, Soft close doors, Insulated glass, Sport exhaust, it goes on and on and on.
17 GTS, 62k, Sapphire Blue over Black. nicely optioned chassis like PDCC, PDLS, ACC and sport tips but not much in additional leather and only Bose Stereo.
16 Turbo S, 28k, Guards Carmine Red over Red/Black and slathered in options! Newly acquired...

I'm chiming in because it is a real and current data point for all to consider; did I pay too much?

I wanted one that was highly optioned and unique - plus it had to have relatively low miles (28k). So the real world data point on this car was $79,000. Yes - above the market. I might have bought it for less, but that would have involved the risk of someone else buying it. My rationale is: Try to spec one like it today and see what you will pay? Likely this car would hit $300,000 on the configurator and then I'd be stuck with the highly depreciating touch screens that I do not like.

This is it:

Last edited by 928 GT R; 08-03-2024 at 09:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 928 GT R:
hlee96 (07-25-2024), will_atl (07-25-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 05:36 AM
boldish
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
I'm chiming in because the last one it is a real and current data point for all to consider; did I pay too much?
It's very hard for me to know what the price should be for a lower mileage car. It looks like a great spec and I don't think what you paid is unreasonable considering what you got. If I'm getting the exact car I want with low miles, I'm comparing it to the cost of what it would cost new, not necessarily comparing it to high mileage, heavily depreciated versions. Lower mileage means it's also cheaper to get an extended warranty if the car is out of warranty and not sold as a CPO.
​​​
Your GTS seems like it is the car that would be on the chopping block for me.

If I were to have 3 Cayennes (not happening, I want 1 Cayenne and 2 sports cars) I would have to chose:
1. 957 overlanding project car.
2. 958.1 GTS (or extremely well optioned S)
3. 958 Turbo or Turbo S
​​​​

Last edited by boldish; 07-24-2024 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
928 GT R (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 09:27 AM
NKCowboy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

928 GT R wrote above:
​​​

16 Turbo S, 28k, Guards Red over Red/Black and slathered in options! Newly acquired...

I'm chiming in because the last one it is a real and current data point for all to consider; did I pay too much?

Liike beauty, depreciation is in the eye of the beholder.

Boldish's analysis above shows that, while CTTS depreciate the most is absolute terms, the percentage drop, spread over miliage, is in line with other Cayenne turbos.

There will be outliers. The MSRP of a very high spec CTTS was over 200 grand, It could even go over 300 if the buyer let Porsche Exclusive run wild. The paint to sample option alone cost ... wait for it ... twenty-five grand. Inside, the buyer could self indulge with things like leather-clad ventilation slats. Some years ago, there was a $305K MSRP Cayenne 958.2 CTTS for sale in NYC. Everything including those slats was powder blue. Not just a truck -- a work of art.

So, did 928 GT R overpay for his Guards Red 958.2 Cayenne CTTS? It too is a work of art, the exterior, interior and carbon fiber trim integrate very well to my eye. If it was a Ferrari, we could say "resale red" was the safe bet. Red is probably also a good choice for a Prosche Turbo S ... it beats powder blue! If we assume the new price was 200K and 928 GT R paid 79K, the prior owner(s) average depreciation per mile over 28K miles was $4.32. "Crikey!" the British would say. If 928 GT drives it a further 100K miles, his depreciation per mile will be less than a buck --even if the next owner is the scrap yard.

On the other hand, if this Cayenne gets to be garage queen and only gets driven 5000 miles in the next few years, the eye-popping depreciation will continue. There are way too many Cayennes to expect even the nicest ones ever to start appreciating. The only way to get the investment back is through enjoyment behind the wheel. My CTTS is for the second home in the country. It will not be driven that much per year. To avoid losing too much money, I needed to find a high mileage example in good shape and well maintained. That took time and a wide search. Finally I found one, a 2015 in Midnight Blue. With silly things like leather air slats (in luxor beige), its MSRP was some 200K euros (the seller claimed 230K but had no proof). I paid 50K. Driven 90K miles when I bought it, the prior owners' depreciation averaged 1.66€ per mile. A euro each kilometer. High, but not crazy.

Now it falls on my whip hand to do better.

Last edited by NKCowboy; 07-24-2024 at 10:23 AM.
928 GT R (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 09:48 AM
NKCowboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
I just picked up a Turbo S with 143K miles. Had a PPI done and the rotor condition was inconclusive; I passed on the $1100 fee for the Porsche dealer to use the carboteq tool to evaluate rotor quality.
The rotors look fine and stop fantastic. After I got the car home, I went to the parts guy at the local P-dealer and his quote for rotors and miscellaneous hardware (no pads) came to $23,700 tax included.
That's $5801 for the front rotors and $4490 for the rears. He said they could usually give some discount on those list prices, 20% or so. I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes to pass that new rotors are needed.

Mark
PCCB came standard on the 958.2 CTTS. Porsche wanted to show off its top technology and relatively few buyers of the 958.1 CTTS were willing to pay an extra ten grand for this option. Those huge rotors look great and outperform. But with such high replacement cost it does make for an initimidating choice. Someday, as depreciation grinds on, it may even make a CTTS with them cheaper than others. That's the "poverty trap".

In my view your situation demonstrates why PCCB is, nevertheless, a good investment. At 143K miles, your brakes are still fine. That's a good run already and with more to come. IF and when they wear out, they could be replaced with cheaper steel brakes. There is also a market for used PCCBs pulled out of junked Cayennes with lowish mileage.

I read one poster who used his Cayenne to haul a boat over mountains. He wrote he would have replaced his steel rotors three times already, but the PCCBs were still doing the job. In my case I also look forward to hauling a little mahogany boat over some mountains. Also getting some hot laps on the track with the local Porsche club. PCCB for me!

Last edited by NKCowboy; 07-24-2024 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:09 AM
NKCowboy
Rennlist Member

Boldish wrote above:

3. From my understanding, the default options for a Turbo S are primarily PDCC, the bodykit, and a ~50hp increase. (Please let me know if there are other important standard options). So paying that premium for what is really just a bodykit and a badge doesn't quite seem worth it *to me*. As far as power, a tune applied to both the Turbo and Turbo S usually result in the same power numbers so if someone cares about power, tuning a Turbo with a tune seems to be the best bang for the buck.

While everyone has a different veiw as what the "important" standard options are, here is my understanding of the differences in standard equpment between the CTTS and the CTT, seen from the perspective of the European version of the 958.2:

--PCCB
--Sport Chono
--PDLS plus
--PTV
--PDCC
--four Porsche crests embossed on the seat headrests
--carbon fibre interior trim (other trims could be substituted for little or no extra cost)
--the V-8 has fancier trim underneath the hood
--Bose sound system
--the ECU is re-mapped to put out marginally more hp and torque.

Note: in Europe at least the body kit, which I interpret to mean the Sport Design cladding, was not standard on the CTTS. Buyers had to pay another five grand for that.

Last edited by NKCowboy; 07-24-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 04:12 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^ It was the PTV, and some interior options came standard. PDCC was standard on the CTT in our region. There was no specific body kit for the CTTS, it just came with different painted wheel arches design.

In 2012, Porsche offered a power kit option on the CTT (on the Panamera as well), which was essentially a tune and new turbos. All were recalled for potential cracks on these turbos. They fitted these affected vehicles with the standard turbos. Porsche had to drop this option from the configurator. Couple years later, the CTTS was introduced.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:31 PM
VicS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, while we're showing off & a related question: Where could we acquire a breakdown of colors/ models per year produced? Would love to know how many Carmine Red Turbo S models were produced. ChatGPT is of no use
This one's a 14' Turbo S in Carmine Red with with 70 K miles, all (most all) the good options, including the Sport Design Package with side skirts ($5,600) & Burmeister, PDLS, PASM, PTV & PDCC.
Spec'd out price was $168K.

OK and for today's random statistic, Carmine Red, is very similar to that of Imola Red as evidenced by this guy's stable mate, a 2002 E39 M5:

Last edited by VicS; 08-02-2024 at 07:57 PM.
max911 (08-02-2024)

Quick Reply: 958 Cayenne Turbo Market Snapshot