Sponsored By:

Diesel used oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 05:26 PM
v-diddy
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Diesel used oil analysis

I've never used SPEEDiagnostix and wanted to see how it compares to Blackstone that ive used forever. the weird part is that there is a discrepancy between the findings
in any case im a little concerned about the wear

Old 06-19-2024, 12:41 PM
Munkustrap
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What a great and timely post! I have had experience with BOTH and here's my 2 cents.....

I have used Blackstone for years, and they continue to provide generally good service and their GC analysis remains reliable. But today, there is a BIG difference between Blackstone and SPEEDiagnostix.

1, Blackstone does not provide an oxidation value - IMHO this is an important number and is a good measure for how well the lubricant has stood-up in the application. SPEEDiagnostix does provide this.
2. For some reason, Blackstone continues to report and comment on TBN - Since the introduction of ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel in the US, this has been completely abandoned by the major diesel engine manufacturers, as, without sulfur, there is negligible H2SO4 being produced in the engine. Why Blackstone still thinks it is significant is beyond me.
3. Blackstone is an oil analysis company that is neither in the racing industry, nor in the engine internal parts analysis/testing business . SPEEDiagnostix is a part of Lake Speed Jr's universe, which is primarily focused on the science of the interface of lubricants to actual engines. They are intimately familiar with the nuances of their customers' engines, and give reliable recommendations based on that knowledge. (For example, the complex interplay of Lokasil cylinders and aluminum pistons with iron-coated skirts)
4. My impression from having used both services is that I get more relevant and reliable Porsche-specific guidance from SPEEDiagnostix than I do Blackstone.
5. Lake is a strong supporter of PCA and PCA education, and has been for many years. He owns and operates Porsches, and applies his tribology expertise in recommending specific lubricants for specific Porsches.

I would rely on Lake's recommendations; you can take them to the bank, literally.

Good Luck!!