Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Looking at CTTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 11:37 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

No better deal, but I am getting the car. But I have a choice to make.

The $32K was with car restored to stock exhaust. Right now it has a valved Fabspeed exhaust, and I believe it has secondary cat delete. It has a tune. One reason I went back out was to see how loud it was on the highway.
With valves closed, it is perfectly fine, you can't really hear the engine/exhaust over the tire/wind noise. It's not much louder on highway with valves open.
But - with valves open on startup, or accelerating, it really gets your attention.

I am inclined to take it with the Fabspeed exhaust, although that will cost a bit more. It seems fine on the highway where we'll use it most.

Essentially, the car is a pristine hot rod right now. The tune is Boost Dynamics, stage 2. Never heard of them and they don't list Porsche on their website so I called them and actually got the main guy.
He knew exactly which Cayenne I was calling about as it sounds like it's their first foray into Cayenne tunes. He said it was "mild" with something like +80 hp and +100 lb-ft torque. No idea if they have dyno data to confirm.
Boost increased to 23-24 PSI at mid RPM's but tailing off at higher RPM. I have a bit of concern about overstressing a higher mileage engine. But I'm not going to be hot rodding it anyway.

Pretty excited to get the car!

Old 06-08-2024, 10:32 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Right. It's not so much paralysis by analysis for me, but logic vs emotion.
Logically, why would I even think about buying this CTTS which has the PCCB issue, maybe transfer case (no indication there), and whatever other $$ maintenance, and will get 14 mpg on premium to boot.
But marketing is powerful, and the car has all the right options, color, features, very clean etc. There will be other nice care, of course. Or I can just keep driving my minivan lol.

Mark
I'm with ya, and I'd add "prior experience" to marketing.

I've had a 2014 CTTS for 10 years and it's at about 105K miles now. From my rational brain, it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned (nothing other than routine maintenance; never even had the transfer case issues) and is surprisingly practical for a 2-row SUV. From an emotional POV, it's a blast to drive--hard to remember it's a 2.5 ton truck when the summer wheels/tires are on and I'm on some of the twisty roads where I live. However, like any vehicle it's aging and the little things like lack of Android Auto (I don't want to go aftermarket) are starting to bug me. Keep thinking I'm on borrowed time and I know the pain of $$$$ repair bills on older luxury imports (don't get me started on the M-B GL550 I had before this; I refer to it as "The Alabama Trash Can"). So my rational brain is steering me towards a plug-in hybrid like the RX450h+ (Lexus must've been to the Porsche school of model designation, LOL). Plug in hybrid would be a perfect fit for me for DD as my commute to work is about 25 miles round-trip; I probably would only fill up every couple of months or so. Could still do long road trips in the summer w/o worrying about range, charging, etc.

So just when I think I've conquered the emotional side of my brain, a 2023 Cayenne Turbo GT pops up at the shop I bought my CTTS from. 8K miles, nicely optioned, midnight blue metallic (one of my favorite colors; had a 2015 Boxster GTS in a similar color; dark blue metallic), $220K sticker; now listed for $170. Could probably get him down to $160K and get about $20-25K from my CTTS, so looking at $135-140K. Less practical than the CTTS: no towing due to exhaust placement, less rear headroom due to sloping back, 22" wheels probably very harsh (not even really a fan of the 21" on the CTTS), PCCB (which probably means the smallest wheel that might clear the front calipers would be 21"?), etc. I've got a 981 Sypder so I have a "fun" car to drive.

And now my rational side of my brain is screaming at the emotional side to resist the temptation to test drive it b/c the rational side knows how that plays out, i.e. if I test drive it, I'll want it and will probably end up buying it. Ah, the joys of being human!

Old 06-08-2024, 11:19 AM
Rootwitch
Racer

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
I'm with ya, and I'd add "prior experience" to marketing.
It is the Porsche disease. Seems there is no cure.
Interesting that I'm in the same boat on plug-in hybrids. I've been back and forth between a RAV4 Prime and the Cayenne.

Mark
Old 06-14-2024, 07:52 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

It's home! And got 22.5 mpg on the 140 mile drive back.

The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (06-17-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 07:55 PM
twokbolt
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheels, the body color and the roof rails all complement each other nicely.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:31 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

looks very nice!
The following users liked this post:
will_atl (06-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Looking at CTTS