Sponsored By:

Can't get rear rotor off

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 07:34 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Can't get rear rotor off

I am in the middle of doing a brake job on a 2011 Cayenne (rotors and pads) and can't remove the rear rotors. The rotor is loose, but I assume I can't get the inner lip of the rotor over the parking brake drum. Any tricks to this or do I need to put the EPB in service mode? I have my brothers Autel MK808, but it won't turn on...yes comedy of errors on this brake job. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:58 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Any pics? all bolts/hardware removed, I assume you know what you're doing.

Tried BFH (big effing hammer) yet? Sometimes it's just rusted on there. I'm about to do the same job on my same 2011 Turbo.... so assuming like you, probably never been changed lol
Old 03-12-2024, 09:16 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

EPB should be in service mode. Never had a problem removing the rotor when this is done. If you can’t set the EPB to service mode, you might want to loosen the brake shoes through the access slot / hole in the backing plate to release the shoes enough. Keep the BFH in the tool box.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,726 Posts

You do not need to put the parking brake in service mode. Is your rear parking brake engaged?
Old 03-12-2024, 09:19 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
Any pics? all bolts/hardware removed, I assume you know what you're doing.

Tried BFH (big effing hammer) yet? Sometimes it's just rusted on there. I'm about to do the same job on my same 2011 Turbo.... so assuming like you, probably never been changed lol
It was getting dark so I buttoned it up right before I posted and put the wheel back on for the night. Yep, I removed the caliper, the bolt holding the rotor on and I tried the big persuasive hammer and knocked it loose, but it won't clear the parking brake shoe. I can rotate the rotor a few inches left or right so it isn't rusted on the wheel hub any longer.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:22 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
You do not need to put the parking brake in service mode. Is your rear parking brake engaged?
Thanks
I didn't think so...no it isn't engaged. My wife and I even commented that neither of us have ever even used the parking brake in the 4 years we have owned it. Unless it is used for hill assist, but I rarely use that feature either.

I did get 67k miles out of the pads and rotors...so I was at least happy about that!
Old 03-12-2024, 09:25 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
EPB should be in service mode. Never had a problem removing the rotor when this is done. If you can’t set the EPB to service mode, you might want to loosen the brake shoes through the access slot / hole in the backing plate to release the shoes enough. Keep the BFH in the tool box.
That is my next resort and opened up that hole this evening, but could not see much in there...it rotates right to left to loosen the shoes? If the scan tool I have would work, I would put it in service mode so I can get them changed out. We are scheduled to go on vacation Friday morning...so I need to finish this up.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:35 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

From what I understand is that the parking brake shoes need to be retracted using a scanner tool otherwise they will hang on the drum.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
From what I understand is that the parking brake shoes need to be retracted using a scanner tool otherwise they will hang on the drum.
I've changed brakes more times that I can count and have never had to use any scanner tool.
The following users liked this post:
Chaos (03-15-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 04:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

same. These are not the primary brakes, so there is really no reason for any appreciable wear on the inside of the rotor hat or brake shoe.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:13 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

I tried to get it off again this morning with no luck even though it is loose from the wheel hub. I read somewhere that a rust lip can form on the inside of the rotor thus causing it to hang on the shoes. I am about to go out and try the drivers rear and see if it is the same issue. Front brakes were a breeze...just a PITA on the rear so far. If it is rust, I would think I should be able to free it somehow, but no luck yet. I just don't want to force it more than I am and mess up the shoes or something else for the parking brake. This is not my first brake job, but first with EPB.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:51 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Make a video for us.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:08 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

EPB should not be an issue unless you have it on.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:30 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Make a video for us.
Sorry didn't see this request until I came back in. Anyway, I moved to the drivers side and I got the brake job done on the drivers side. The rotor was stubborn, but I managed to get it off and get pads and rotor changed. I did take some photos of this rotor and some brake bits. If I can't get the passenger side tomorrow morning, I will take a video. I will just muscle it some more like I did on the D side.

Like I said, we got 68,000 miles out of these brakes. The car was CPO when we bought it and this is the first brake job in 4 years 3 months. I procrastinated 2-3 months after the brake light came on to change them, but we were using our other car more lately and I work from home (justification for procrastination). You can see a ridge on both the inside and outside of the rotor from wear. Could not have gotten anymore out of these brakes. I am going to do a brake flush in the next few weeks too. Anyway here are a few pictures. I am encouraged I got this side finished...I have hope to finish tomorrow. 75% finished...Thanks for everyones help so far...it is much appreciated.

Inside of rotor. Can see the outside ridge from pad wear and inside rust build up around the innner rim.

brake shoes and hub

top of brake shoe

close up of inner ridge that was catching on the shoe.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:38 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

If you remember plain drum brakes that adjusted automatically, as most did after some point in time, I believe the same thing happens with the electronic parking brake: The shoe get pushed out to the drum and only slightly comes off when you release the brake pedal. So when t goes on when you push or pull the switch and only comes off slightly when you pulled the drums on any car you had to FIRST 'back off' the automatic adjuster mechanically with a screw driver or brake tool. I believe that the scanner is the way you back off the parking brake shoes on these electric brake cars like ours. I remember living in NH and having the adjusters on VWs get so messed up from road salt that they would not turn to back off the shoes. Those were small diameter drums so you could, with much effort, muscle them off but it wasn't a picnic. The scanner retracts the parking brake shoes making it possible to get the drums off. If I remember I had to mechanically retract the rears on Subarus and Acura because of the parking brake drum.

Quick Reply: Can't get rear rotor off