Sponsored By:

Can't get rear rotor off

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 10:40 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
If you remember plain drum brakes that adjusted automatically, as most did after some point in time, I believe the same thing happens with the electronic parking brake: The shoe get pushed out to the drum and only slightly comes off when you release the brake pedal. So when t goes on when you push or pull the switch and only comes off slightly when you pulled the drums on any car you had to FIRST 'back off' the automatic adjuster mechanically with a screw driver or brake tool. I believe that the scanner is the way you back off the parking brake shoes on these electric brake cars like ours. I remember living in NH and having the adjusters on VWs get so messed up from road salt that they would not turn to back off the shoes. Those were small diameter drums so you could, with much effort, muscle them off but it wasn't a picnic. The scanner retracts the parking brake shoes making it possible to get the drums off. If I remember I had to mechanically retract the rears on Subarus and Acura because of the parking brake drum.
Exactly.
So glad I don’t live in the rust belt. Never seen such a mess. I would hate to see my car so eaten up with rust.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:04 AM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

In around 1965 I had a 356 Convertible D that came from NY, I don't remember how many miles it had but the floor on the drivers side was rusted through. I was told that if it was humid when they built the laterals on those cars they would rust from the inside out.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:14 AM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Ironically this is a southern vehicle. I bought it in South Carolina in December of 2019. It has lived its entire life in South Carolina. I just brought it north 2 years ago when we moved to upstate NY to be closer to my wifes family. I am from GA and am not used to rust on cars either, but the only thing rusty on this vehicle are the rotors. My 1965 Chevy C10 truck has less rust than this, but it only comes out of the garage from May thru October same with my 1988 944.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:09 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

It must be from the humidity or being around the ocean at some point.

I once had a 46 Chevy Pickup in NH- no rust. Good to keep your truck in the garage.

I'll be curious to see how the rest of the brake job goes.
The following users liked this post:
roll_the_dice (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:57 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Finished up first thing this morning! I had to use all the muscle I had (not as much as I used to) a big a** screwdriver and wiggle relentlessly. Took me longer to get this one rotor off than it did to the rest of the 3 brakes combined. Here are 2 pictures...one after the rotor off and one with new rotor installed.

This spring, will be doing a brake flush in conjunction with painting my calipers...that will force me to keep them cleaner. Also building a new 4 car garage this summer so all my vehicles can be inside. This one currently lives outside and all maintenance is done in the driveway. Can't wait for a better "shop/garage"!

Old 03-14-2024, 01:59 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 03-14-2024, 04:45 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Nice and new. I hope you had some stands or other protection other than just the floor jack. Having an indoor space will make it easier and keep your cars in better shape too.
Chaos (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:11 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Gotta love these Syracuse winters! Mine has spent the last 5 years here and I did my brakes last year and they were not this rusty, but since retiring in 2019 I don’t venture out in the salt unless I absolutely have to and then the first sign of salt on it and off it goes to the car wash.
roll_the_dice (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:51 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
Nice and new. I hope you had some stands or other protection other than just the floor jack. Having an indoor space will make it easier and keep your cars in better shape too.
Yeah I am happy I got it done. We leave tomorrow on a mini vacation to Chicago and are driving the Cayenne. Yes, you can't see it in the picture but there is a jack stand under there. Safety first.

Originally Posted by Boomer80
Gotta love these Syracuse winters! Mine has spent the last 5 years here and I did my brakes last year and they were not this rusty, but since retiring in 2019 I don’t venture out in the salt unless I absolutely have to and then the first sign of salt on it and off it goes to the car wash.
I like it here though...the heat in Savannah was oppressive in the summers...the older I got the hotter it got. haha The 2 winters I have been here I have been told they have been mild. I was also told when we have a mild winter the DOT uses more salt on the roads...because the ground never froze....lovely!
I have about 7 more years until I retire...I want water hookup in the new garage and a french drain so I can spray cars off and even wash them in the winter inside the garage since it will be heated.

Wonder how many other Rennlisters are in Syracuse?
The following 2 users liked this post by roll_the_dice:
Boomer80 (03-15-2024), Chaos (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 11:52 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Some posts have city locations some don't.

Always good to be safe. Even with stands I push the tire/wheel under the car as added safety- just in case.
roll_the_dice (03-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Can't get rear rotor off