958.1 Turbo Brake Rotor Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 11:04 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Question 958.1 Turbo Brake Rotor Options

Hey all-
It's that lovely time... got the bright red "BRAKE PAD FAILURE" or whatever light on the dash, and my pedal feels like mush. I'd venture to guess the brakes on my 130,000 mile vehicle are original. Definitely time to change.

Why am I having such an incredibly difficult time finding some quality options from Hawk, Brembo, StopTech, you name it? Especially for the FRONT rotors. I'm finding lots of fun drilled and/or slotted options for the REAR, and tons of stuff for the NON-TURBO models that either have 350 or 360mm front disc rotors. But from what I have researched, I need to be looking for 390mm FRONT IRON disc rotors, but NOT the ceramic ones that were optional. Unless I'm totally wrong and the Turbo model does have 350 or 360mm in the front? But I really doubt it. I've tried 10 different "auto parts" online stores, or "brakes only" type places to no avail. I know I could just buy the crazy $1200+ kit for OEM replacement for all 4 wheels from like, FCPEuro, but I'd rather not.

I was really hoping for at least some slotted rotors, or maybe the cryo-treated ones, or drilled. Or at the very least, some kind of slight upgrade over factory. I know at least for the pads I was able to find the HAWK 5.0 option.... which I am still not 100% sure is for the 390mm iron front discs, but all my research seems to indicate that this part number is correct: HB720B.575. Of course, it doesn't come with any hardware. So it looks like I will have to buy hardware and bolts (i.e. caliper bolts) from somewhere like FCPEuro?

I swear when I first purchased my 958 back in March 2022, I was playing around looking at brake upgrade options and there were more options available back then. Then again, I probably didn't know the difference between all the difference brake rotor sizes for the Cayenne models at that time.

It seems as of writing this, my only option really is to go with OEM type front disks and maybe the cooler Hawk pads, then could get some Centric or StopTech cross drilled/slotted rear rotors with Hawk pads. That's weirdly annoying though.

Any opinions on the brake sensor(s) brand? Stay away from any or stick to any particularly?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I tried searching, but most people seem to be discussing the other Cayenne models that are NOT the Turbo NON-CERAMIC type iron discs that are 390mm.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:08 PM
rich c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Try FCPEURO.com. I just did rotors and pads on the rears for my 2012 CCT. Original rotors had 120k miles. To my surprise, no sledge hammer needed to break the rotors loose!
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 01:45 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Care to share what "fun stuff for the non-turbo" you have found?

As for Turbo models, all I can suggest is what you've said you don't want to do (FCP Euro). When doing research for iron rotors to potentially replace some ceramic discs, I did find a few places that did 390mm iron rotors, but would have to find that thread to remind myself of the different suppliers. I know that those options were a lot more money than OEM style discs.

Edit: here is the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-and-tear.html

Last edited by Gus B.; 01-07-2024 at 03:26 PM.
ElSpoon958 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 02:23 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I installed these 390mm Centric rotors from RockAuto about two years ago and have had no problems. Not sure if they’re still available. A lot cheaper than anything my Indy quoted, and everything he quoted was back ordered anyway. Installed new wear sensors while I was at it.

ElSpoon958 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 05:37 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by rich c4s
Try FCPEURO.com. I just did rotors and pads on the rears for my 2012 CCT. Original rotors had 120k miles. To my surprise, no sledge hammer needed to break the rotors loose!
Appreciate the input! But as I stated, I was trying to stay away from FCPEuro and/or simple OEM replacement options. I was interested in an upgrade i.e. drilled/slotted (arguments commence) or even cryo-treated rotors. Seems we simply don't have a lot of options for those of us with the red caliper "performance" big boy 390mm iron front rotors.

I may have to end up with those OEM style replacements as mentioned, with an upgraded Hawk pad set. However, I did find these: https://frozenrotors.com/front-left-...32-fzr-sl.html

So that's an option. Only $450 a piece lmaoooo
Old 01-07-2024, 05:47 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus B.
Care to share what "fun stuff for the non-turbo" you have found?

As for Turbo models, all I can suggest is what you've said you don't want to do (FCP Euro). When doing research for iron rotors to potentially replace some ceramic discs, I did find a few places that did 390mm iron rotors, but would have to find that thread to remind myself of the different suppliers. I know that those options were a lot more money than OEM style discs.

Edit: here is the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-and-tear.html
Thanks for that link! Yeah you're right, the price factor is just, yeah, yikes. Almost makes you think it would have been better to get the fancier carbon ceramic fancy yellow caliper option where you can brake on a dime and get 9 cents back, and they last a longggg time. But also, cost a fortune to replace. lol

The "fun stuff for the non-turbo" models were all the usual like stuff from Hawk or StopTech etc like cross drilled slotted cryo treated blah blah blah all 350 and 360mm options only.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:57 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by fourthirteen
I installed these 390mm Centric rotors from RockAuto about two years ago and have had no problems. Not sure if they’re still available. A lot cheaper than anything my Indy quoted, and everything he quoted was back ordered anyway. Installed new wear sensors while I was at it.

Dude thanks so much! That's weird, when I checked RockAuto for my 2011, none of those options showed up. And I made sure I was looking at the TURBO specific models. But it only showed me the 350 and 360mm sizes. I imagine those part numbers for those discs in the photo for your 2013 would also fit my 2011...

Alas, just a plain jane OEM style replacement. Nothing fun or fancy. But oh well, I should just be happy we have rotors the size that other cars have WHEELS/RIMS of lol

Edit: found em... https://www.buybrakes.com/centric-12...sc-brake-rotor

Only $600+ each!!! And backordered. LMAO! Might as well get those "Frozen Rotors" I linked to earlier for $450 each. Sheesh!

Last edited by ElSpoon958; 01-07-2024 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:53 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like Amazon has the Centric iron disk under the StopTech brand name. And in stock.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:20 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts

FCP def carries the 390mm, they are way cheaper., $230 for one. Its not centric or stoptech but they are made in germany. The sebro's are a smidge more. I don't think you're going to get a huge upgrade from discs. going with a more aggressive pad like an EBC Yellow will get you more performance.

jaystonewee (01-12-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 12:36 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

And if you are a fan of EBC pads, they have a more aggressive compound (Red). I used the Greenstuff once on a BMW M Coupé I used to own. Wont be making that mistake again....

I may give the Power Stop Z23 pads a chance when time comes to replace my stock pads on my GTS.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

online porsche dealer parts counter, like delawareporsche parts has oe turbo rotors for $440 a pair. There is no reason to go aftermarket here.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:48 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts

And if you are a fan of EBC pads, they have a more aggressive compound (Red). I used the Greenstuff once on a BMW M Coupé I used to own. Wont be making that mistake again....

I may give the Power Stop Z23 pads a chance when time comes to replace my stock pads on my GTS.
I think yellows are the most aggressive before the super dusty race pads. Green > Red > Yellow > Blue. I've found the yellow's to be as dusty as I can take it....they make so much dust but stop so well. I've started putting them on everything, the Z4, RX350, LS460. All improved braking performance, feel.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/87/75...e7ea72a46a.jpg
Old 01-08-2024, 07:17 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Hawk FTW (for the win)
Old 01-09-2024, 10:50 AM
Simeon
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Its hard to believe you actually need any higher performance brake options than "just" the standard 390 mm! OEM brake rotors. Slotted or drilled rotors would just end up making more dust and honestly not sure what benefit. Maybe slightly better bite when you're straight out of the car wash and slightly lighter with the drilled rotors. Otherwise how can you possibly need anything other than oem replacement rotors? I'm genuinely curious, are you doing serious towing or taking it to a track?

Also as mentioned already, pads are what would truly give you better braking performance feel, at the cost of more dusty wheels and possibly more brake squeal and rotor wear.

Last edited by Simeon; 01-09-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:51 PM
jaystonewee
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I got rotors and pads from FCP Euro for my 2011 Turbo a couple years ago (20k on rotors so far). Stock pads fade quick/bad after more than a couple hard stops from highway speeds, I ditched them for EBC Yellows on the front which are great.

Quick Reply: 958.1 Turbo Brake Rotor Options