Sponsored By:

Power Steering Plus Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 05:40 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power Steering Plus Problems

I can't seem to find any information about the "power steering plus speed sensitive steering compensation" installed in my 2014 GTS. Information like, is there a fuse or a relay like servotronic? I've seen information that implies that it can be enabled/disabled with PIWIS.

So, problems... my steering is intermittently over-boosted. Like, the system can't tell whether the car is travelling at low or high speed. This has happened independent of other problems, but I'm concerned that it's related. My other problems are documented in this thread. Two years ago, my steering wheel electronics stopped communicating with the gateway module. No turn signals, heat, wipers, radio volume, etc. And codes for every system that relies on steering wheel position (ABS, PDCC, PASM, etc.). I couldn't figure it out myself and my local dealer replaced the clock spring. They had some problems programming the new one, and eventually, leaving it disconnected from the battery for more than an hour fixed it. Well, it's happening again.

The overboosted steering has come and gone over the past couple of years after the clock spring replacement. I can't help but think the two are related. Like, maybe the power steering control is spamming the gateway module with bad comm packets and causing it to lose communications with the steering wheel electronics. I want to pull the fuse on the PS plus, but there doesn't seem to be a fuse. My local dealer was useless--they told me the power steering is working fine and that they never have any problems with those electronics. It's pretty clear to me that the steering boost level is not "fine". There's no high speed stability or road feel.

Mainly I'm just venting here, but if anyone has any information about PS Plus that might help me, please throw it out there. I do have a PIWIS and will probably try disabling it there. I may even try replacing the battery for kicks. Both times I've had the steering electronics problem have been when the weather has turned cold.

Happy Holidays,
Steve

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus Problems