Sponsored By:

958.1 base VR6 PCV "external" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 09:19 AM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geetee
Quick update....I've put 30k+ miles so far on the external PCV....only change i've made is that a catch can was added 9-10k? miles ago.

I see that someone posted above that the dayco hose collapsing. It's been averaging 90 degrees where I'm at and I've redlined 1-3rd gears without any issues. I've repeated this many times over the past month without any issue. I wonder if this is a 957 issues? as the person posted has a 08. My 2012/958.1 does not have this issue.
Sweet! Just ordered all the parts you mentioned, gonna do it over the weekend. Can you share an image how you installed the catch can and which one ?
Old 07-16-2024, 09:25 AM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

Originally Posted by mdistel
Both of mine made different noises that could be traced to the back of the engine but it was tough to pinpoint. Covering the hole and having it go away was key to diagnosing. My 2009 was throwing codes, the 2016 I only heard so possibly caught it early.

​​​I did the aftermarket PCV repair rkxtexh.com on my 2009. 2016 was covered by CPO so new valve cover. The external fix should stop the noise as that is basically a whistle or harmonic sound due to air pass through that shouldn't.

Mark
It was indeed the PCV, got a mechanic stethoscope, tested all pulleys they were fine. When covering the hole, the noise changes its tone. Weirldy enough I am not getting any codes. Oil pressure is fine, no misfires, air filter is clean. Found some oil residue on the PCV hose going into the engine.
Old 07-19-2024, 08:52 AM
jeffro22
Track Day

Originally Posted by geetee
Quick update....I've put 30k+ miles so far on the external PCV....only change i've made is that a catch can was added 9-10k? miles ago.

I see that someone posted above that the dayco hose collapsing. It's been averaging 90 degrees where I'm at and I've redlined 1-3rd gears without any issues. I've repeated this many times over the past month without any issue. I wonder if this is a 957 issues? as the person posted has a 08. My 2012/958.1 does not have this issue.
Thanks for all the info! you just saved me a bunch of time!!

I Ordered the parts and they should be arriving over weekend. will be converting our 2014 with 105K miles. Any info on your catch can addition?
Old 07-19-2024, 03:07 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll grab a picture later but catch can is a amazon $21 one
Aluminum Alloy Oil Catch Can Reservior 300ml Automotive Replacement Catch Can Breather Tank.
Old 07-19-2024, 03:18 PM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

Success story!

Job was relatively easy to do, the "squeak" noise is now gone! The only thing that worries me is the "durability" or flexibility of the Dayco hose. I've driven the car a bit after doing the conversion and the Dayo hose looks difference (like vacuumed)

May this cause any issues or mess up the oxygen/oil mixture back to the engine? Attached pics

Final Result

Before driving / engine off

After Driving / engine on
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
jeffro22
Track Day

Thanks again for the write up! I never would have even thought to convert to the external PCV. You saved me a bunch of time and aggravation

I did add the 1/2" metal tube to the inside of the Dayco hose , as mentioned by another member to prevent the hose from collapsing.

Idle has returned to normal and i cleared the engine codes and they have not returned.

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

Originally Posted by jeffro22
Thanks again for the write up! I never would have even thought to convert to the external PCV. You saved me a bunch of time and aggravation

I did add the 1/2" metal tube to the inside of the Dayco hose , as mentioned by another member to prevent the hose from collapsing.

Idle has returned to normal and i cleared the engine codes and they have not returned.
Congrats for the convert!

if i may ask, which metal pipe did you install and how?
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
jeffro22
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gio_Hb
Congrats for the convert!

if i may ask, which metal pipe did you install and how?
I used a 1/2" aluminum tube that i had. I cut a small piece and a large piece to fill in the straight sections. I just used motor oil on the inside of hose and pretty much pressed the tube in. The 1/2 galvanized conduit mentioned by bartekgombos is pretty cheap from lowes or home depot. I think around $6 and seems like a good option to stiffen the hose. Just have to make sure it doesn't collapse at the bend

Quick Reply: 958.1 base VR6 PCV "external" conversion