Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What Next? - A totaled Cayenne (Diesel w/ Air) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 11:01 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Man that sucks. I’ve got a black over black 2014 CD with air suspension and premium plus at 96k mikes. I bought it with 36k on the clock and it has been pretty much flawless from a reliability stand point. It’s starting to show its age a little (wheels need to be refinished, back bumper is bit scratched up, plastic trim is starting to look a bit tired, etc…)

I’ve been debating if it is time to let it go and move on to something else but, based off what I see in the market I’d probably need to get about $45k out of it to make it worth the headache of selling and missing it.

Realistically I’ll probably keep it, get the cosmetic stuff taken care off and add a third car in the next year or two.

Good luck on your search. I’m partial to diesels as well. We had two X5 diesels and a 335d with m sport package. I don’t trust rovers so not going there. I find the merc diesels boring and soulless. Audi TDI would be hard to go to after the Cayenne.

For non-diesel options I’ve been considering a Cayenne Turbo primarily. Also the Land Cruiser/LX from a standpoint of probably being able to put a billion miles on it. There’s an off the wall thought of a Bentayga but, the price point is up there and I would probably just go with a newer better equipped Turbo.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 08-06-2023 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FormerRotor (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 08:33 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
With a desirable car, the first two sentences on the phone are:
"Is it still available?"
"Do you have a pen and paper? Write down my credit card number and run it now. I'll wait."
Seriously....
It's definitely good advice. This particular vehicle was a high-ish mileage newly-CPO'd Turbo S for <$45k. Wouldn't still be searching if I would have taken this advise the night before. I mistakenly assumed there wasn't much interest as the vehicle had been on the lot for 2 months.
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Man that sucks. I’ve got a black over black 2014 CD with air suspension and premium plus at 96k mikes. I bought it with 36k on the clock and it has been pretty much flawless from a reliability stand point. It’s starting to show its age a little (wheels need to be refinished, back bumper is bit scratched up, plastic trim is starting to look a bit tired, etc…)...based off what I see in the market I’d probably need to get about $45k out of it to make it worth the headache of selling and missing it....Realistically I’ll probably keep it, get the cosmetic stuff taken care off and add a third car in the next year or two....Good luck on your search. ...
Right there with you. My personal DD is a 2011 m-sport 335d retrofitted with all of the BMW Performance kit from Germany (and one of the first half-dozen in the country to go full "alphabet soup" delete roughly a decade ago). Tough to argue with a car that dyno's at 560 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels at 170k miles and can still eak out 45+mpg on highway trips. If you change your mind on selling (especially if you have ventilated seats and a heated steering wheel), definitely LMK. Insurance in the State is required to provide us with an equivalent vehicle with equivalent specs (and yours definitely meets the legal definition being w/in 1 model year and w/in 3,000 miles on the odometer).

From the Maryland Law regarding the insureds (claimant's) rights to reject and counter the insurance's initial offer...
Sec. 31.15.12.06 Response by Claimant to Settlement Offer [Latest version]
A. In General. After receipt of a settlement offer, a claimant may:
(1) Accept the offer; or
(2) In writing, reject the offer and make a counteroffer based on:
(a) Dealer quotations for a substantially similar motor vehicle;
(b) Advertisements for a substantially similar motor vehicle; or
(c) Any other source of valuation for a substantially similar motor vehicle.
B. Duty of Insurer. If an insurer rejects a claimant's counteroffer made pursuant to §A(2) of this regulation, the insurer shall, within 5 business days, send to the claimant a written explanation in clear and understandable language of why the information relied on by the claimant in the counteroffer does not provide a more accurate valuation than the information relied on by the insurer in its offer.
Imagine the heart attack the insurance company would have if the rare diesel+air owners who actually know their car's worth suddenly listed their vehicles for their actual asking price. I think they'd have a heart attack trying to debate value with truly comparable vehicles (with comparably knowledgeable owners & complete maintenance records) on the market.

On a side note: It should be fun when they test my fluids when trying to provide "a list of all deductions that will be made from the value of the motor vehicle" and realize that I changed the engine oil, fuel filter, transmission filter, and transmission & differential fluids less than 3 weeks ago (and its sitting on barely used tires). I'd bet good money that they try to deduct on interior condition for sand on the carpets (we were returning from the beach and hadn't finished unloading/cleaning the car), but it would be even funnier (assuming I can find it in myself to laugh about these things if they try to deduct for saw dust/wood chips from the tree removal).

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-07-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:56 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Id suggest just keep hunting if you can hold off! I've got an old beater ranger I daily drive doesn't hold lots of people but (4max) but I love the manual and the simplicity of it.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:01 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Round #2 beginning to hit here now, would be over your way in 30 mins or so. WTH....
Old 08-07-2023, 07:42 PM
tojo92
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

@FormerRotor Sorry your dealing with this, but glad no one was injured! Amazing it will still run. These things are build like tanks (fast, efficient ones)!

I have a 2014 Cayenne Diesel. About 130,500 miles on it, CPO until May 24, 2024, (unlimited mileage warranty, zero deductible) It is a Platinum Edition, white, with two tone interior. Unfortunately, no air suspension, but it does have factory tow set up, but I believe it has every other option you noted.

It is my understanding the CPO status goes with the vehicle if sold to a Porsche dealership or an individual, but please confirm that on your own.

I can supply the VIN via DM if you would like to run a VIN report on it, if you decide it may be an option.

It had a catastrophic HPFP failure recently and it is currently at Porsche Austin having an ENTIRE fuel system replacement being finished up.

I purchased it from Porsche Downtown LA with 108K miles on it after they CPO'd it and had it shipped to Texas. Front and rear bumpers refinished, new tires, all the normal CPO stuff. I bought it specifically to travel every week (2X) from Plano, TX to Victoria TX (about 340 miles each way) and I no longer have that need now. My new commute is less than 10 minutes 3X a week and I cannot justify doing that to a CD. Using my 997.2 for that!

One wheel has a blemish on it from road debris, but otherwise it is in amazingly great condition, inside and out. Shows like a 40K mile CD.

I will be putting it up for sale within a few days of getting it out of the shop in Austin and returned to me in Plano (D/FW area) which should be any day now.

FWIW, I believe the HPFP failure was a rare event for these but it was great having CPO cover the very expensive repair. I am forever a believer in Porsche CPO coverage.

If interested, please DM me and we can discuss.

HPFP fail in Killeen - headed to Austin Porsche

Headed to Porsche Austin

Last edited by tojo92; 08-07-2023 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FormerRotor (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 11:24 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
Realizing you named the vehicle "Grandma" for it's slow, stately demeanor, I'm not sure this would be a valid option, but have you considered the Macans?
Great question! Fantastic vehicles, but unfortunately the Cayenne was already a little small for our family unit. It worked perfectly with the rear cargo tray, but anything smaller would be a bit too restrictive for everyone.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Round #2 beginning to hit here now, would be over your way in 30 mins or so. WTH....
It came & passed down here (thank goodness). Hope you & your car/home/family made it through the storm OK!
Originally Posted by tojo92
@FormerRotor Sorry your dealing with this, but glad no one was injured!...I have a 2014 Cayenne Diesel. About 130,500 miles on it, CPO until May 24, 2024, (unlimited mileage warranty, zero deductible) It is a Platinum Edition, white, with two tone interior. Unfortunately, no air suspension, but it does have factory tow set up, but I believe it has every other option you noted.
Thank you & beautiful CD, @tojo92 ! It definitely makes me miss ours! Unfortunately, I think the Air Suspension is on our "Must Haves" list, but I really appreciate you letting us know. At the moment, the Air Suspension Premium is critical to our valuation exercise with the insurance, but that beauty won't have any trouble selling finding a new hope, especially with the CPO still active!). Someone's going to be a lucky buyer.

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-07-2023 at 11:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FormerRotor:
tojo92 (08-07-2023), TRINITONY (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 12:12 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Default Calling All CD+PASM+AIR Owners! We need some legitimate comps!

OK, folks who are lucky enough to have a Diesel with Air (here's looking at you, @Roman ACS @hotrod468, etc): We need Comps (and potentially a new vehicle)!

First, let me convince you: We all know that well-maintained CD's with air are commanding a serious premium (even more these days than when @911-997 's 110,000+ mile CD with Air Sold on Cars & Bids for $30,000+ in 2022 after being purchased just 2 years earlier for ~$20,000), and--let's be honest--Safari CDs are having a moment to boot. Case & Point: @GBX 's non-air diesel was just featured in PCA Mart Fresh (before he decided to keep the fun for himself!).

Add to that this: My Insurance Co is presenting comps to me without PASM, without Air Suspension, without Ventilated Seats, without Premium Package Plus, without 14-way Seats with Memory...some don't even have Keyless Entry & Drive. We have the legal right to decline their offer and present a counter, BUT this would best be performed with the support of current comparable vehicles they can't argue with. And for that, we need to show listings of comparable vehicles (CD+Air Owners who might be willing to part for a premium, we need your help!).According to our local laws, the ideal comp ("substantially similar motor vehicle") would be a Cayenne Diesel (can be 2013, 2014, or even later) with "at least the same major options as the damaged motor vehicle", including...
  • PASM + Air Suspension (definitely needed for the sake of calculating the premium that the PASM+Air Demands in the resale market)
  • 89,725 to 109,663 miles (preferably, but not absolutely mandatory)
  • Especially helpful if also having...
    • Premium Package Plus
    • 14-Way Power Seats (or better)
    • Heated/Ventilated seats
    • Heated Steering Wheel
    • Keyless Entry & Drive
    • Rear Seat Heating
    • and/or more
SO: We need your help and maybe your CD. Everyone has some sort of price in the back of their head that they would be willing to sell their CD for. If you've considered selling in the next few years, might I suggest that now is the time and implore that you go ahead and list for whatever your asking price would be. I'm not talking pity-pricing; just whatever you feel would be a good enough price to make you part ways with your Diesel w/Air in today's market. On the especially bright side: you may very likely wind up with a generous offer from another party (other than me/my insurer) who's been on the Diesel+Air lookout for months/years...been on that train twice now...it's exhausting.

If you happen to list your vehicle up (especially in the next 24-to-48 hours), PLEASE let me know so that I can include it in the supporting analysis for our counter-offer to our insurer per the below...
(2) In writing, reject the offer and make a counteroffer based on:
(b) Advertisements for a substantially similar motor vehicle; or
I know you love that Diesel+Air, but if there was ever a time to let that rare beauty be appreciated in another garage: this is it! I don't know if our insurer will wind up attempting to purchase one of the comps we send or if they will attempt to settle for less, but---if we do happen to wind up purchasing your CD--I can tell you: we'll care for & appreciate it just as you would have and it deserves!

Thanks in advance for any help the community can provide. Best to all! ~FR

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-08-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:10 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

Insurance companies are a royal pain. I once had a Lexus LS430 Ultra luxury edition, which represented 5% of LS430's built. It had alcantera, air suspension, much higher end leather, rear seat controls (seat reclined), as well as a rear seat AC system with its own compressor. A guy t-boned me and totaled the car. His insurance company kept offering comps on average LS430. I finally told the guy, "No point in arguing. You go find me a LS Ultra same year and similar mileage, and I don't care what you pay for it. If you get a deal that's less that you're offering good for you." He called back thirty minutes later with a very fair settlement.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Well I have a 2013 CD Platinum edition with 124,000 mi on it I bought an extended warranty because the rear chain tensioners are starting to leak but if we were in a serious situation I would have the insurance policy pay for any engine issues that were found by the Porsche dealership since my out-of-pocket is 300 bucks. Vehicle runs and drives tow package a few upgrades 10 in black two-tone interior with heated and ventilated seats heated steering wheel rear heated seats. Original headlamps and upgraded headlamps two brand new factory keys and the infamous entry and drive aftermarket option. I cannot imagine it commands anywhere close to the price you paid as yeah but hey catches your fancy let me know.

Very fancy heated and ventilated seats with crust

Mr 12 volt automotive solution

Cross climate 2 tires with less than 8,000 mi on them

Recently upgraded aftermarket LED headlight assemblies originals included

Yes I installed an Alcantara headliner and accessory pieces I'm not going to say it was an OEM fit The nice thing is someone else can always go back in and correct my mistakes

I really did hunt down the shuffleboard wood trim

It's not an off-roading vehicle however it has been on some dicey roads

OEM tow package
My lack of price is not so I can drop something ridiculous It's not special. Previously last owner had young children one of them would always ride behind the driver and made it a habit of opening the door into everything also the driver side swipe something at some point Go me.

Last edited by Davebrossi; 08-08-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:15 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

1234567890-
Old 08-08-2023, 11:33 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Insurance companies are a royal pain. …He called back thirty minutes later with a very fair settlement.
This is similar to our last experience, BUT we found none of the front line employees are empowered to do anything but gate keep. Once you’re on the line with the right person, coming to a reasonable conclusion doesn’t seem to be too hard (especially if you have the knowledge/data to back up your ask).

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Well I have a 2013 CD Platinum edition with 124,000 mi on it
Thanks, Dave! Awesome CD! Does this have PASM+Air?

The main goal at the moment is to be able to point insurance toward listings for the well-maintained, premium loaded diesels (PASM+Air, etc), which are commanding an appropriate premium for rarity.

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
1234567890-
I’m missing something. How did you know my banking password?
Old 08-08-2023, 11:37 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

It does not. But as a matter of price comparison, I paid 18.5 for it. My misadventures add maybe a couple grand in terms of upgrades? PASM really is a premium. At the time we had another platinum in the area (no PASM) with 87k miles at 23k.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:43 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
It does not. But as a matter of price comparison, I paid 18.5 for it. My misadventures add maybe a couple grand in terms of upgrades? PASM really is a premium. At the time we had another platinum in the area (no PASM) with 87k miles at 23k.
Thanks, @Davebrossi ! Yeah, they're really all super vehicles. I think the difficulty of finding one of the rare ones with PASM+Air (especially a well-appointed one)--none the less the premium versatility of the driving experience--only adds to the premium people want to sell theirs (no one wants to do that search twice). All kidding aside, my Wife wouldn't have let me sell hers for <$55k and--even then--she was probably too emotionally attached to let it go. It's funny, around here you occasionally get the oddball well-heeled diesel-lover who sees what it is and makes a parking lot offer $45k-50k+ (they're usually driving a Ram Diesel, F-250, X5d, or the likes). Within the last year, my wife received a gas station offer (after some initial questions) for $47k from a guy with an F-450 Lariat. She declined, but he got a real kick out of it when she offered to trade him instead (wasn't expecting the truck love from a little city lady in a P-"Car").

How about those listings, CD+Air Owners? Clear it with the better half and let's get a few CDs+Air on the market (at the appropriately justified premium of your liking)! Has @RS-America received his Grenadier yet?

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-08-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:51 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
How about those listings, CD+Air Owners? Clear it with the better half and let's get a few CDs+Air on the market (at the appropriately justified premium of your liking)! Has @RS-America received his Grenadier yet?
Our Ineos Grenadier, which has been named 'Chelsea Tractor' (mall crawler in UK speak), is expected at the beginning of next year. We have been to three Grenadier events, one static in Seattle, one driving at Rowher Flat OHV outside of LA, and driving on an ADV motorcycle course in BC Canada. Honestly, we have never been this excited about the delivery of any of our P-cars! Like you we have a lot of memories from where and how 'Otis' has taken us. Photo below of 'Otis' contemplating what the stable will look like when Chelsea arrives. Realistically we will need to part with one vehicle but like family how to chose which one?
When the time comes will definitely post, IF 'Otis' it will come with our full kit - other option is a stock 964 RS America purchased w/o sun-roof.

Last edited by RS-America; 08-08-2023 at 03:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RS-America:
FormerRotor (08-09-2023), tojo92 (09-03-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 09:00 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS-America
…Realistically we will need to part with one vehicle but like family how to chose which one?… When the time comes will definitely post, IF 'Otis' it will come with our full kit - other option is a stock 964 RS America purchased w/o sun-roof.
That’s going to be a tough call (if for no other reason than just the memories in either vehicle). Maybe it’s time to buy some land and build a pole barn for more room in the stable. From afar, I’m excited to see the Ineos start to hit the trails. Should be a fun new chapter for you & the better-half (though no need to burn through a set of summer tires at autocross so they can be swapped for KO2’s this time!)
The following 2 users liked this post by FormerRotor:
lml999 (08-14-2023), RS-America (08-09-2023)

Quick Reply: What Next? - A totaled Cayenne (Diesel w/ Air) Thread