Sponsored By:

All season tire recommendations for 21”

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 07:43 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Plourde
I replaced my DWS06 tires in December 2022 with the Pilot Sport All Season 4s. 7 Months and 10,000 miles later, the rear two are at the wear bars! Truth be told, I have been doing a fair amount of towing for go-kart racing and camping, so am wondering if others have had similar experiences with these tires when towing...or if you recommend a different make/model for avid towers. I have a '16 CTT. Thanks!
I've used Michelin Pilot 4S on my CTT since the beginning. They lasted 18k miles at the very most with rotation. Now on the All Season 4S tires and they still look great. Think I'm about 5k miles into them. They look like they will last a lot longer than the regular 4S. I think if you have not rotated and you're towing, your rears are taking the brunt of the wear.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:37 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

My two local Porsche dealers say that rotation is not recommended for the GTS even though the tires are a square set up. When i asked why, they both said its a "Porsche thing" and could not offer anything else. Fronts will go 22k and rears 10k with no rotation. Wear is perfectly even across all tires both front and rear, just accelerated rear wear. My guess is the rear drive transfer case bias is the culprit but a good trade in my opinion for the handling ability of the big old girl.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:16 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

For something different, consider Vredstein. Can get them with the severe service snowflake as well. I’ve had a very good experience with these tires.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:45 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
My two local Porsche dealers say that rotation is not recommended for the GTS even though the tires are a square set up. When i asked why, they both said its a "Porsche thing" and could not offer anything else. Fronts will go 22k and rears 10k with no rotation. Wear is perfectly even across all tires both front and rear, just accelerated rear wear. My guess is the rear drive transfer case bias is the culprit but a good trade in my opinion for the handling ability of the big old girl.
Interesting! Doesn't make sense as you'll constantly be installing two tires at a time and putting undue wear on the center diff. I rotate and the only requirement that tI know of is that the tires must remain spinning gin the same direction as they started. This means right tires stay on the right side of the car for life. With the cost of these tires, I'd go broke not rotating.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:54 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts

I think it's more of an AWD thing. I was told the same by my dealer, and it was the same for a previous Audi I had. Not recommended to rotate.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:04 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The TOYO PROXES ST III are a great A/S tire. I also have a friend in Denver that uses them year around and in the snow and he says they are great there also.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:33 PM
958nurse
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CX750
Hi all

about to pull the trigger on a ‘12 CTT - with Turbo 2, 21” wheels.

Living up north so want something year round - any recommendations and considerations of the swap? More tire wear, noticeable change in feel and handling?

yokhamas, or Pirelli scorpions?

thanks.
I have ran both Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus and the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Sport 4s on my CTT in 295/35/21. Both are top pics for all season tires.
In my driving experience with both sets there isn't much difference to me in tread wear, noise, performance.
There ARE differences in all of the categories for these tires, but for the average driver it probably will not be enough to worry about deciding which one
To me, the real differences are the looks and the price. Michelin cost more but look better, Continental is cheaper but do not look as good.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:07 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 623 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Interesting! Doesn't make sense as you'll constantly be installing two tires at a time and putting undue wear on the center diff. I rotate and the only requirement that tI know of is that the tires must remain spinning gin the same direction as they started. This means right tires stay on the right side of the car for life. With the cost of these tires, I'd go broke not rotating.
It can make sense for them as they'll sell a lot more tires by telling people not to rotate, and that they have to buy in sets of 4, and charge 4x the labor.
Old 08-08-2024, 06:16 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to buy a 14' Turbo S and need to replace the tires on it. I'm in Michigan and have traditionally done winter tires and all seasons. Now that I don't have long commutes in the winter, I'm thinking about running the PSAS4's year round. Does anyone else have experience with this? I know winter tires make an insane difference in handling, I almost feel heretical not buying another set of rims and tires for the winter.

Another question I have is does anyone have a definitive answer on why we shouldn't do rotations? Based on the PPI I got, the rears wear way faster. They're a square set up, why not rotate them? They all have the same circumference when new so I don't buy that "it's a Porsche thing."

I'll be rotating every 5k miles with an oil change.

Last edited by rjshar; 08-08-2024 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 12:40 PM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The last five years, i have used winter tires in Chicago all year round on all my cars. They seem to last longer and are great in rain and gravel. I don't notice any extra noise.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:15 PM
Malmenator
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Using Falken FK460 all-seasons on my 21" Sport Classics. Dry performance is great. I just got them, so I can't speak for rain/snow performance yet.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:22 PM
Shadows89
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been using a set of TOYOs which so far is doing great!
Old 09-02-2024, 01:13 PM
Dave16
Advanced

Received 123 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 2018 S. I'm the second owner. I replaced the original Goodyears with Michelins shortly after I bought the car at the end of 2020. I got about 10K miles out of the Michelins so I switched to DWS 06s. Those wore out after about 25K miles but Continental gave me 50% off of a new set of Control Contact Sport SRS Plus. So I am rocking those now. After a couple hundred miles they seem great. Hopefully they last. Also, I upsized to 295/40/21 and the new tires make the car look a lot better. They really fill out the wheel wells.

Old 09-03-2024, 12:03 PM
Malmenator
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

^^ That's a nice meaty sidewall on 21" wheels, looks good! Since your overall diameter is altered, did you have to re-calibrate the speedo for accuracy?
Old 09-03-2024, 02:10 PM
Dave16
Advanced

Received 123 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks. In addition to looking good, the ride feels a little smoother too. May be my confirmation bias though

My speedometer was always 2-3 MPH higher than my actual speed so according to Discount Tire's tire size calculator tool ( https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator ) the size difference should work to bring my indicated speed and actual speed closer to aligning.
The following users liked this post:
Malmenator (09-04-2024)

Quick Reply: All season tire recommendations for 21”