Sponsored By:

OE fit dashcam DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 01:07 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
Today is another DIY, installing an OE fit dashcam for my CS.
It was a super easy 5 minutes install.

I wanted a dashcam that does not obstruct my view when driving in anyway.
While searching for one, Google lead me to a website where I could buy what I just wanted.
It was a I didn't have to do any wiring, just plug in and done type install.
Thanks for posting this. I ordered a Front + Rear 128g last night. I like that it has a clean look and seems pretty simple.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:18 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

oooh this is so clean, Gotta buy them for all the P cars
Old 07-18-2023, 10:52 PM
Subartender
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks even better from the outside.

The following users liked this post:
afriedrich (07-22-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 01:55 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

how is the resolution?
has anyone also installed the rear camera extra option of this same camera?
seems like. the "rear" camera option its only 1080p so not sure how good it is (or even if it can read license plates?
Old 07-20-2023, 11:05 AM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Bought mine but haven't installed. I believe I've run into an issue with it interfering with my Blendmount that a Uniden R8 hangs from. There's not enough clearance for the camera's housing to allow it and the radar detector mount to coincide in the same area.

Bugger...could have really used it yesterday when some **** in a Corvette decided to ride my *** doing 85+, swoop into the right lane, then cut back over in front of me nearly colliding with me and the car he was trying to avoid.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:57 AM
afriedrich
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Subartender
Looks even better from the outside.
Great, same cam form factor and type like mine... Do you have interference problems with the PCM navigation?
Mine has despite using faraday tape and takes up to 10 min to lock up to satellites - seems to depend on the chip set used by cam manufacturer...
Old 08-17-2023, 05:16 AM
pmendoza
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super psyched i discovered this thread.
Ordered myself the 4k front, 1080 rear kit.

Cant wait for it to arrive!
Old 09-05-2023, 12:41 AM
BrewDude
Racer

So I finally installed it this morning, but I'm having issues with maintaining the Wi-Fi connection between the camera and my Android phone. The phone will see it, prompt for the password, and initially connect, but then it drops connectivity. When attempting to try and reconnect to the camera's Wi-Fi network which gets saved, it will shut off due to timing out and I have to attempt the entire process again to no avail.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:45 AM
Subartender
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by afriedrich
Great, same cam form factor and type like mine... Do you have interference problems with the PCM navigation?
Mine has despite using faraday tape and takes up to 10 min to lock up to satellites - seems to depend on the chip set used by cam manufacturer...
I actually had to test this since I have been using my phone. It does interfere with the PCM, I had to turn off the dashcam for the GPS location to work again.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:03 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Must of got a dud for a camera.

After several attempts to pair it and it disconnecting from my phone, this morning it wouldn't come on when the pig was started. Had to press the power button and it came on with still the same result of not pairing to my phone. Factory reset has done nothing to alleviate the connectivity issue.

A long support email to FitcamX has now got a replacement camera on the way to me. Hopefully this one works better than the last one.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:51 PM
will_atl
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
So I finally installed it this morning, but I'm having issues with maintaining the Wi-Fi connection between the camera and my Android phone. The phone will see it, prompt for the password, and initially connect, but then it drops connectivity. When attempting to try and reconnect to the camera's Wi-Fi network which gets saved, it will shut off due to timing out and I have to attempt the entire process again to no avail.
Reach out to FitCam, I had a similar issue with one for my wife’s GLS, they replaced it for me with very few questions asked. I bought one from AliEx for my S Class, the FitCam app is much better.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:20 AM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by will_atl
Reach out to FitCam, I had a similar issue with one for my wife’s GLS, they replaced it for me with very few questions asked. I bought one from AliEx for my S Class, the FitCam app is much better.
Got the replacement and it's working as advertised. Further investigation of the unit on my part revealed the ribbon cable that is connected to the camera was disconnected and torn. I questioned the cable when I did the first install as it didn't look right to me, but pressed on hoping for the best.

In any case, all is good and Fitcam while a bit on the delay for responses via email was prompt in sending me a new unit.
The following users liked this post:
HWDLND (10-10-2023)

Quick Reply: OE fit dashcam DIY