4th Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 12:21 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by riteoff
I'm sorry to hear about your luck.
I'm guessing these transfer case issues are temp and running temp related.

Mine Tc was warranty replaced. 2 weeks later a 9hr hwy road trip had my cayenne almost undrivable after exiting the highway. Stopped for a few hours to shop, eat and the Cayenne was driving like new again.
All fall and winter no issues. We'll see if summer brings on the symptoms again.

I believe more air flow and or external cooling will be the long term answer.

​​​​
When my TC was bad, oddly enough, it was the opposite for me. In the morning, TC felt fine-ish. Once warmed up it felt awful.

For what its worth, I have a 2011 CS. TC replaced at 55k (I purchased Oct 2020, TC done in November 2020 under warranty). I'm at 100k now and the TC still feels great. Car has lived in Scottsdale and Denver across the past 3 years. So temps have been all over but both places are relatively dry.]

I drive pretty aggressively and have been towing a lot recently (building a deck, hauled a few tons of rock last week). BUT, I change my TC fluid every 5k miles when I change my oil. I've actually put ball valves on the TC to make draining and filling a 5 minute job.

Last edited by AnAlbumCover; 04-12-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:08 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Do you freeway cruise mostly, or mostly stop and go?
All of the above. Plenty of long distance driving on highways, and plenty of in town driving too. Even occasionally tow a 23 ft 6500 lb boat - never any issues. I’ve put on 115k miles in 6 1/2 years and this is my daily driver in all weather and wherever I need to go. Never any off-roading though. Overall this has been one of the most reliable cars I’ve owned.

I wasn’t having any issues at 100k when I changed the fluid, but I had all fluids changed at the same time. Every 5k miles? Total overkill and 32x more frequent than Porsche recommends 🤪

Last edited by leftlane; 04-12-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:27 AM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by riteoff
I'm sorry to hear about your luck.
I'm guessing these transfer case issues are temp and running temp related.

Mine Tc was warranty replaced. 2 weeks later a 9hr hwy road trip had my cayenne almost undrivable after exiting the highway. Stopped for a few hours to shop, eat and the Cayenne was driving like new again.
All fall and winter no issues. We'll see if summer brings on the symptoms again.

I believe more air flow and or external cooling will be the long term answer.

​​​​
Regarding your road trip where your Cayenne was nearly undriveable after exiting the highway... are you in a TT V6 958.2? And have you had the oversensitive knock sensor TSB addressed if so? I ask because I'm dropping off my 958.2 CS this Friday for this issue as well as potentially my transfer case, right at 75K miles. Other major notable issues regarding the knock sensors were that my car can't hold speed on the highway with cruise control because it can't build boost.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:24 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AnAlbumCover
...I've actually put ball valves on the TC to make draining and filling a 5 minute job.
Mind sharing the part number and maybe a couple pictures of your quick change setup?
Old 04-20-2023, 11:24 AM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
Mind sharing the part number and maybe a couple pictures of your quick change setup?
No part numbers, this is a home depot special. The TC plugs (drain and fill) are 3/8 NPT. I picked up an aluminum 3/8 NPT ball valve (the TC body is some version of an aluminum alloy so I wanted to keep the metal similar). Then I put two plugs on the open ends of the ball valves finger tight and she's been good for the past 40k miles. Changing the fluid is as easy as undoing the caps, turning the valve. Refilling is even easier as I put a female 3/8 NPT to 1/2 ID hose barb and hook up fluid pump/pressure thing (I use a home depot garden sprayer with the spray tip removed and 1/2 ID hose attached but you can use the dedicated oil pump tools,
like this like this
). Refills in a like a minute, unhook, close the valves, finger tighten the caps and you're done. I don't even lift the car for any of this as I can reach under with 1 hand (I'm on steel, not air).

NOTE: NPT fittings and the factory TC plugs are TAPERED THREADS, DO NOT overtighten, you WILL crack the transfer case housing. The original plugs and/or anything else you decide to thread into the holes WILL NOT BOTTOM OUT/SIT FLUSH with the TC, DO NOT continue to tighten. I know the yelling here is a little obnoxious but I'm hoping I save at least 1 person from cracking the TC.

Last edited by AnAlbumCover; 04-20-2023 at 11:26 AM. Reason: tightening disclaimer.
The following 4 users liked this post by AnAlbumCover:
HeavyHanded (05-03-2023), skinnytirez (04-21-2023), TXCOMT (05-01-2023), wyowolf (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 01:36 AM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PFDGSB
My 2016 Cayenne GTS is getting it's 4th transfer case today.

1. New

2. 14,xxx miles

3. 36,xxx miles
My ownership begins.

4. 58,xxx miles
Have I set the record?

This SUV was babied and well-maintained by myself and the previous owner. It's in fantastic shape otherwise. I love my Porsches, but this is full-on ridiculous.

This will be my last transfer case, however. My CPO ends soon. I hope this one lasts. These new ones have an improved clutch coating or something, right?
I don't know how anyone can defend this... this is Ram territory bad... hell maybe Yugo.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 09:49 AM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by wyowolf
I don't know how anyone can defend this... this is Ram territory bad... hell maybe Yugo.
Yah. And probably the worst part is the number of attempts Porsche has taken to fix this. First it was water, now it's a coating. Coatings wear off, no? I'd love to see some documentation specifically calling out exactly what the problem is. After this amount of time, Porsche should know 100% what is causing these failures. I'm not convinced a coating is a long-lastong fix. I hope I'm wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by PFDGSB:
Robocop305 (04-28-2023), wyowolf (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 08:55 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

This TC issue will be probably be the next the next big Porsche class action thing. These TC issues seem ridiculous. One would think that the engineers would have figured out the cause of failure and fixed the issue. Maybe the data hasn't told them the root cause yet.
wyowolf (04-22-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 02:20 AM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wyowolf;[url=tel:18759262
18759262[/url]]I don't know how anyone can defend this... this is Ram territory bad... hell maybe Yugo.
For what it’s worth, it really just seems like Porsche has decided to keep replacing them instead of digging into the issue since they’re not going to have to deal with it much longer. My 2015 is already not covered anymore.

On a separate note, has anyone actually had the transfer case fail? I’ve seen a couple of instances where someone found clutch pieces which is no bueno, but it seems like 99% of cases are replaced for the symptoms. My transfer case felt absolutely awful when I took it in last Friday. Ended up just changing the fluid for $240, and it drives like new. We’ll see how long that lasts I suppose, but it does beg the question of if it’s just something that’s life can be extended indefinitely by semi-frequent fluid changes.
wyowolf (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 12:28 AM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RhinoComp
For what it’s worth, it really just seems like Porsche has decided to keep replacing them instead of digging into the issue since they’re not going to have to deal with it much longer. My 2015 is already not covered anymore.

On a separate note, has anyone actually had the transfer case fail? I’ve seen a couple of instances where someone found clutch pieces which is no bueno, but it seems like 99% of cases are replaced for the symptoms. My transfer case felt absolutely awful when I took it in last Friday. Ended up just changing the fluid for $240, and it drives like new. We’ll see how long that lasts I suppose, but it does beg the question of if it’s just something that’s life can be extended indefinitely by semi-frequent fluid changes.
I now change mine every other oil change, its relatively cheap and super easy to do
TXCOMT (05-01-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 12:28 AM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RhinoComp

Ours had definitely failed, we didn’t even have the typical stutter type symptoms prior. After 2-3 minutes of driving, the transfer case fault would flash up, we’d feel a small kick, and you could immediately notice you were in rear wheel drive only.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:35 PM
GTS_Jay
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Well since I bought my Cayenne used in January with 63k on it. How do know if a transfer case is going bad? What signs does it show?
Old 04-30-2023, 07:15 PM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Jay
Well since I bought my Cayenne used in January with 63k on it. How do know if a transfer case is going bad? What signs does it show?
Do a search and you'll find some descriptions, however my best description: it feels like your car is bucking or hesitating at low speeds, especially turns.
TXCOMT (05-01-2023)

Quick Reply: 4th Transfer Case