Sponsored By:

958.2 Fog Light Upgrade - Diode Dynamics Elite Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 03:45 AM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 958.2 Fog Light Upgrade - Diode Dynamics Elite Series

Don't you love it when something doesn't specifically say it should work, but you're pretty darn sure that it will, and then it does?

Well anyway, here's a truly plug and play fog light upgrade for the 958.2, and probably the best OEM style lighting upgrade by far.

From everything I could tell in my research, the Cayenne's halogen lights are one of the more common fog lights (I believe made by Valeo?) across many manufacturers, including the newer Subaru Outbacks which have quite a lot of support and attention from aftermarket lighting companies like Diode Dynamics. From the measurements I took, it seemed like the bolt pattern and housing dimensions on the DD Elite Series fog lights were near identical to our factory fogs. So I decided to give it a go. Worst that could happen is I end up having to return them.

The fitment of the Elite Series fog lights are 100% perfect fit into the original location with zero modifications. These fog lights do use a deutsch DT 4 pin connector, so I also bought some of DD's H11-DT adapter harnesses as well. This harness includes a tap for the fog lights' backlight feature as well, though I didn't really want to use it personally so I just wrapped and sealed off that 3rd wire. I went with the selective yellow option since I am getting these for the sole purpose of vision during rain, snow, etc. and not to have on all the time.

As can be seen, these have a really sharp cutoff and they're just as easy to aim as the factory fogs. They meet SAE fog light standards and are DOT approved for this reason, so no blinding oncoming traffic from a soft cutoff or uncontrolled beam pattern.

Another picture to show how bright they are and how good the cutoff is compared to the OEM LED headlights. For about $250 all in, I can't imagine anything better. Especially considering these are about 3 times brighter than the Morimoto XB's. The other nice thing is that they haven't given a bulb out warning or anything that would require an anti-flicker module or similar. Besides the annoyingly tight passageway through the fender liner for the install, there's really no reason not to do this upgrade if you're wanting more light you can use on the road. I'm super happy with the results, and hopefully this helps someone else wanting a good lighting upgrade.

Final Parts used:
Diode Dynamics Elite Series Type A Fog Lamps, yellow 3000K (Diode Dynamics SKU: DD5129P)
Deutsch DT Adapter Wires w/ Backlight Tap (Diode Dynamics SKU: DD4106P)

Last edited by RhinoComp; 03-27-2023 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Adding parts used
The following 8 users liked this post by RhinoComp:
Al Faromeo (03-27-2023), Blu RS (03-27-2023), ChrisTDI (03-27-2023), dbonds (03-29-2023), lml999 (08-09-2023), Subartender (03-28-2023), TMC. (03-27-2023), Visualistics (03-27-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:15 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks awesome! Looking to upgrade mine as well
Can you share a list of parts you ordered?
Old 03-27-2023, 10:56 AM
downtroddengoat
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks @RhinoComp !! I have been debating on upgrading my lights in my Jeep with DD and life got in the way. When I got the Cayenne I thought it would be a good opportunity to update multiple vehicles at once but could not verify fitment. Looks like I can add these to the list now!
Old 03-27-2023, 01:27 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisTDI
Looks awesome! Looking to upgrade mine as well
Can you share a list of parts you ordered?
Yes, just added them to the bottom of my original post. Knew I'd forgotten something!

Originally Posted by downtroddengoat
Thanks @RhinoComp !! I have been debating on upgrading my lights in my Jeep with DD and life got in the way. When I got the Cayenne I thought it would be a good opportunity to update multiple vehicles at once but could not verify fitment. Looks like I can add these to the list now!
Absolutely should! I actually thought about trying to fit the SS3 Max into this location since those have been fantastic on my work truck, but I do not believe anything larger than the Elite Series would fit without modification. There's not a lot of extra room on the 958.2 for the housing. Even with these Elite Series ones, I could only get them into the "pocket" of the factory mount (which isn't visible from the outside, it is behind the fog light fascia) by angling them downward and popping them through. Takes a little love, but it's not any sort of manhandling to get them into their location at all. I did have to use a lot more force with the H11 adapters though. The DD female H11 connect seems a tad undersized and I had to use a ton of pressure to get the car's male end into its home. On the second side, I used a razor blade to open the female side up a tad and it went in a little easier. That was really the only "hiccups" I would say the install presented.

Last edited by RhinoComp; 03-27-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:40 PM
carsandcapp
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Those look cool. I actually just sent an inquiry off to these guys. https://deautokey.com/I have a set of their yellow/white/strobe bulbs in my wife's Audi. I really like them. There are simply a bulb and a bulb "driver" that get installed with the bulb. The strobe features is pretty cool if you ever have to pull off on a two lane road (super high visibility) or maybe if you get to play "safety car" at your local track event.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:09 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks so much for posting your findings. Can you explain what a “backlight feature” is?
Old 03-27-2023, 06:27 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MountainStone
Thanks so much for posting your findings. Can you explain what a “backlight feature” is?
The backlight feature is just a low powered LED that illuminates the fog light housing dimly like a DRL when the fog light isn't on. This is one of the images on the DD site. It's purely for aesthetics if you're into that sort of thing.

From Diode Dynamics
Old 03-28-2023, 11:13 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Will they fit a 958.1?
Old 04-01-2023, 11:16 AM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by virkdoc;[url=tel:18712827
18712827[/url]]Will they fit a 958.1?
Yes they should. 958.1 I think has a lot more room behind that part of the bumper so even larger fog lights may even fit, but I couldn’t promise that. These should certainly though
Old 08-09-2023, 03:55 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Had to get back into my fog light area since my vehicle's OEM fog light bracket didn't like to stay attached very securely from dirt and grime. Just basically needed to clean up the area on the bottom right where it slides and snaps into place securely. Also figured it was a good chance to take an additional picture showing the clearance of the OEM fog light bracket since I had said in my previous posts that I don't think you could get any larger of a fog light pod into the 958.2 stock location without cutting, and I certainly believe this is true still.

The whole molded plastic bracket which the Diode Dynamics fog light bracket is screwed into is what creates the space limitations, at least on the 958.2. The areas I circled in red are to show just how minimal of clearance there is between the DD mount and the factory fog light pocket. What you can't really see in the photo is that the fog light itself is sitting with about half of its volume within the pocket. There's zero extra clearance on the bottom, and maybe a millimeter or two on the side where the pocket opening is a bit more squared off. To actually get the Elite Series foglamp into it's location, it almost has to "pop" in there.

985.2 Cayenne S RH fog light

Now, this certainly doesn't mean you can't put something like an SS3 Max or Baja Designs Squadron in the factory location at all, you would just certainly need to clearance the bottom part of the OEM pocket to allow for the larger dimensions. On non-turbo models that might be something doable through the fender liner but it's certainly not something I could do without removing the whole bumper cover (even with the wheel off and more fender liner pulled away I doubt I could safely do it). So considering this was able to be pushed and mounted into place almost entirely blind due to the intercooler, I still don't think it can be beat as a plug and play upgrade. For the additional lighting I want, I'll be mounting them on a Eurowise Baja light bar where I can really get some proper lighting power!
Old 08-09-2023, 09:27 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

THANK YOU
Old 11-06-2023, 01:01 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 64 Posts

This is awesome, I am going to order parts and try this sometime soon!
Thank you!
Old 11-22-2023, 10:56 AM
burnurass
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 52 Posts

Did this upgrade on my 958.1 Turbo S. For 958.2 turbo's the lights are different but non turbo/GTS it seems it'll fit like OP's.
It was a tight fit on mine with the intercoolers right behind but Lightwerkz in NJ got it done.
Just the fogs on

The following users liked this post:
RhinoComp (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 06:13 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Nice pic! Yeah the intercoolers definitely don't make it an easy place to get to, but it's well worth the effort. They add a great amount of contrast on wet roads that make rainy nights a much easier drive.
The following users liked this post:
burnurass (11-24-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:41 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just did the upgrade as well, using the OP's parts list.
Overall nice kit. I did not use the "parking" light harness and tap.
Couple tips:
Take wheel off, access is limited. Remove most or all of wheel liner.
Use phillips stubby to remove old fog, the upper screw is hard to get to with inter coolers in the way. Once fog is removed, I used the fog hole in the bumper to connect the new harness to the fog harness. I wasnt able to get the new fog harness connector to click into the original harness, were you guys able to do it?. Some of the orange insulator is still slightly exposed. Its fully seated though. I connected the negative on the new harness to the brown wire in the original harness, new harness is labeled. Overall awesome kit with no aiming or adjustment needed.

Quick Reply: 958.2 Fog Light Upgrade - Diode Dynamics Elite Series