Sponsored By:

2011 Turbo purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 02:31 PM
Mless5
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2011 Turbo purchase

Hi, I am picking up my first 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo next week if all goes well, planning to drive it from CO to AZ. This seems to be a great community and I am excited about our Cayenne and being able to get off the pavement. I've been doing a lot of research and digging around before and after purchase - lots of valuable info on these forums! I do still have some questions with planned upcoming maintenance in mind:

1. Water pump brand - is Geba good? Should I not overcomplicate things and go with standard composite impeller?
2. iCarSoft - is it still the best off the shelf tool for an average DIYer?
3. Could TPMS sensors "listed" for Audi use (through ebay) be used with Cayenne? 433 MHz Porsche part 7PP907275F seems to cross reference into Audi world. Partsgeek lists one at $76, a set of 4 on ebay is $120 - both are HUF brand.
4. Has anyone had any luck replacing transfer case through the dealer outside of the warranty window?
5. Do replacement batteries absolutely have to be synced right away or can the car be driven after punking replacement battery in?
6. Is the center chrome portion of the key fob replaceable?

Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mless5:
amsu (03-06-2023), Monetizer (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:00 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! Post some pics when you get a chance. I'll take a stab on questions 3 and 5.

3. Check out TPMS.com as they list a set of 4 HUF sensors for $140. A bit more than eBay but then eBay sellers can be suspect sometimes. I was able to get Discount Tire to get pretty close to their price when I got my tires replaced there last year. That way if there was any issues synching them up they would take care of it.

5. Lots of threads on battery replacement here but I recently changed out the battery on my 2011 S. I didn't bother to do any coding and it's been working fine with no issues or electrical gremlins. Some people have tried coding with no success, others are able to code, and still lots of others do without coding like myself with no issues.

Have fun on the drive from CO to AZ!
Old 02-26-2023, 07:51 PM
Mless5
Intermediate

ShdwFx - thank you!
Old 02-26-2023, 10:45 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

2. Depends on what you want to do. Search or check out the Coding stickie on this forum.
4. Some people, myself included, have received new transfer cases when a few weeks or months out of warranty. Not aware of any being years out of warranty.
5. Car can be driven without battery reprogramming.
6. Yes. New sides and chrome centers available pretty cheap on Ebay. I carried a beatup fob for years before discovering this.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:18 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

I hated my icarsoft.

Icarscan is supposed to be better.

I now use Launch and Durametric
Old 02-28-2023, 01:01 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I hated my icarsoft.

Icarscan is supposed to be better.

I now use Launch and Durametric
Launch and recently landed a pwis clone
Old 02-28-2023, 01:44 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I also have a 2011 CTT. I use a launch, a PIWIS clone, and I successfully received a new transfer case a few months outside of warranty.
Now that I'm due for service, I'll start paying them back for it.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:52 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TMC.
successfully received a new transfer case a few months outside of warranty.
Don't hold out on us.... how?
Old 02-28-2023, 02:21 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

What Launch unit is everyone using?
Old 02-28-2023, 03:31 AM
snikwad
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mless5
Hi, I am picking up my first 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo next week if all goes well, planning to drive it from CO to AZ. This seems to be a great community and I am excited about our Cayenne and being able to get off the pavement. I've been doing a lot of research and digging around before and after purchase - lots of valuable info on these forums! I do still have some questions with planned upcoming maintenance in mind:

1. Water pump brand - is Geba good? Should I not overcomplicate things and go with standard composite impeller?
2. iCarSoft - is it still the best off the shelf tool for an average DIYer?
3. Could TPMS sensors "listed" for Audi use (through ebay) be used with Cayenne? 433 MHz Porsche part 7PP907275F seems to cross reference into Audi world. Partsgeek lists one at $76, a set of 4 on ebay is $120 - both are HUF brand.
4. Has anyone had any luck replacing transfer case through the dealer outside of the warranty window?
5. Do replacement batteries absolutely have to be synced right away or can the car be driven after punking replacement battery in?
6. Is the center chrome portion of the key fob replaceable?

Thanks.
Geba makes a ton of the cooling stuff for Porsche. i went with a geba water pump for this reason. I suspect its like the fuel system where its VDO and Continental, but gets the audi and porsche logo added and the price doubles and they say OEM.
i used iCarsoft por2. love it, works great. I am thinking about getting launch for coding abilities tho.
I've bought TPMS off ebay HUF brand and put them on and work successfully.
TC flush and flush and flush...
dunno, havent done a battery yet
yes. ebay ones for cheap cheap.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:36 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Don't hold out on us.... how?
In my case, through some miscommunication, ongoing transfer case issues that the service writer documented weren't properly communicated to the techs resulting in the car not being serviced for it until a few months after becoming otherwise illegible.
TLDR.
I didn't describe the problem properly, but it became apparent what the issue was after a second service writer, and I discussed it.
They handled it promptly and without too much egg on my face.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:14 PM
Mless5
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

We've made it home yesterday, roughly 780 mile trip that was packed with mind blowing scenery. Our new Turbo performed great yielding 23.3mpg if one was to trust the on board computer - a very healthy figure if you ask me! Laser guided cruise control is a very neat feature which played a role in that 23.3mpg number. Those comfort seats are amazing for long trips. The only area of concern is that I went through a quart of oil during this trip - something I am already looking into. We love the car, she will be getting an oil change and a much needed bath today.

Last edited by Mless5; 03-06-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:35 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ripking
What Launch unit is everyone using?
X431 Pro Mini. Got for $500 on offerUp with 2year subscription.

I'd say get the one with bigger screen. It's better when you're looking at graphs
Old 03-06-2023, 03:18 PM
Mless5
Intermediate

Things escalated quickly: after an oil change I took the car out to get the oil level reading and after parking it nose up in the driveway. I was greeted with a nice puddle of engine oil where transmission and engine join about 1/2hr later. I started looking researching and noticed a puddle of oil in the V of the engine that appears to be darker than the oil I just put in there. Based on that, I am hoping it isnt RMS that is leaking profusely from vent holes on the bellhousing. I pulled the intake manifold and was greeted with lots of oil. Prior to purchase of the car, I had Porsche perform vario cam bolt recall on the vehicle. I hope that what I'm seeing is the aftermath of leaking valve cover gaskets + upper timing cover gaskets. I also checked the membrane of the ventilation system that sits on top of the driver's valve cover and it appears to be in good shape.

1. I have a coolant vent line on order, as well as updated upper front cover bolts that I will be extracting next - upper 2/3 bolts on each head appear to be broken off and I have an oil leak up front. I was going to cut a slot where they poke out the back and thread them out with a flat head screw driver - is that a good idea or not so much? Never had much luck with those "reverse thread" extractors.

2. I need to gain access to the valley to clean up old oil. The question that I have is how to properly depressurize the fuel rail before removal since the manifold is already off.

3. Also, I crawled under to look at the transfer case with a hope of determining locking vs non locking. It appears to be that mine is locking: there is a box with electric connector going into it on the engine facing side of the TC, pass side of the driveshaft - is my assertion correct?

As a side note, Mahle filter that I purchased for this car did not fit until I trimmed down the cloth part around the opening. For S&G I whipped out my spare oil filter I have for BMW (Mann HU925/4 - $5.5) and compared the 2. I'll leave the pictures below.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mless5; 03-06-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:11 PM
VarioSpam
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Prior to purchase of the car, I had Porsche perform vario cam bolt recall on the vehicle.
Shouldn't they be fixing this up then?

Quick Reply: 2011 Turbo purchase