Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bad CV axle? Cayenne Turbo 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 09:39 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 286 Posts

+1 on sending the front and rear lube off for analysis.

Last edited by CAVU; 03-07-2023 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:32 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
While I'm sure the factory has its reasons to fill it how it recommends, you're likely fine filling it the way you did it. I just wanted to answer your question and concern as to why there seemed to only be 1.0 liters in the rear.

I'm not sure why your oil would look that bad; maybe you guys have different oil fills for your part of the world, where it starts out black?! Looking at oil, and analyzing it are different things, so if you're looking at a $4000 repair, it might be nice to get an oil analysis. It's interesting that your differential drain plug has a magnetic center piece to catch debris; none of the Cayennes I've seen have that. It is interesting/curious that yours does. Have you owned this Cayenne since new? If not, someone might have known of the pending differential failure, and this was a measure to try to slow its destruction.
Filled the oil back to the same level as what was in there before, so 0.5 in the front 1.0 in the rear.
I’ve noticed the magnetic drain plug as well which got me slightly worried. On the other hand I am owning this car for 5 years now and it was under extended Porsche warranty when I bought it.

I’ve ordered 2 blackstone kits to get the oil analyzed.

Spoke with a local shop doing full differential revisions and these guy told me that most likely I am right on time getting the oil changed. But as long as there is no grinding noise coming from the differential they don’t recommend getting it rebuild.

They recommended changing the CV axle first as also the single clunk in the turn according to them
is not differential related.

I hope this week I have time to replace the CV axle and I will also pull the output shaft out to check the snap ring, and seals.

keep you guys posted.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:44 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Another update.

today jacked up all four wheels put the car in drive and listened with a mechanic stethoscope. No noise from front or rear diff.

tried to reproduce the clunk full steering left and little power. I was unable to reproduce the clunk.

decided to change the left cv axle and check if the output shaft of front diff is loose. Output shaft it solid, wheel bearing is not making noise when rotating manually. Installed new cv axle.

Went for a test drive. Clunk and growling noise on full steering output still there 😑😑😑.

on slow turns there is no clunk.. sway bar link? Tie rod? Ball joint?

Old and new cv axle

Output shaft feels solid.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:10 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

If you have metal shavings, and noise, and yucky looking oil, the spider gears in the differential might be worn, hence the noise when loaded and/or turning. My hunch remains (for whatever that's worth ) there is an issue with the differential.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:17 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Another update.

my issue has much worse now. On acceleration highway cruise and deceleration it’s like the whole car is droning, vibrating. On lower speeds when switching gears or little power I feel shuddering.

Took the car to the local Indy shop, they couldn’t find anything wrong with the suspension but they except the clunk coming from the upper or lower control arm on the right side.

For the vibration they suspect the transfer case. But they are not for sure.

So I did the following, unplugged the Transfer case and took it for a test drive. Growling / Howling sound in is gone.

But on acceleration and higher speeds the car is still vibrating / droning. Although less as before…

The following users liked this post:
958nurse (05-09-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 08:34 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAVU
+1 on sending the front and rear lube off for analysis.
Got the results from black stone from the front and rear diff.

seems like nothing unusual

Attached Images

Last edited by Joostem; 12-13-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:32 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Recently did fluid changes on 2014 Cayenne base 115k km (~75k mi). Same color of diff fluid as in your pics and the fill plug on front diff had same black residue.. i suspect its foam or oil residue as the fill plug is higher than fluid level. No residues on rear diff fill and both drain plugs. Fluid kevels - Front 0.5 and rear 1.0.. just pumped the same quantities back but new 75w90 fluid was way more viscous that what drained out.

TC was replaced at around 75k km under cpo warranty but fluid drained was very dark (but no metal.) Tc indicator on icarsoft showed about 38k km.. so plan to keep changing fluid in 25k km intervals. changed with ravenol dtf-1 ..

So it could be TC - did you check fluid in tc or replace it? Tc clutches tend to stick when fluid is old. Also wouldnt rule out wheel/hub bearings even if no play.. could be early stage wear ..

Quick Reply: Bad CV axle? Cayenne Turbo 2011