Bad CV axle? Cayenne Turbo 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 06:42 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad CV axle or front diff Cayenne Turbo 2011

So I have the following situation on my Cayenne Turbo 2011

Car is vibrating at different high speeds, also when braking at high speeds the steering wheel starts shaking.
When making a left turn under power I hear a clunk coming from the left mid section of the car. strange enough I hear the same clunk once I turn right under power. at turns with no power no clunks.

I had the wheels balanced but without a change.
All 4 discs and pads were replaced 1,5 years ago and I barely made any miles.
Car has 71000 miles.
Had a look al the axles and the left has some play and making a ticking noise see video, the right side has the same play but no ticking noise.

Any ideas?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1485 (3).mov (19.06 MB, 50 views)

Last edited by Joostem; 03-01-2023 at 11:35 AM. Reason: title change due to other symptoms
Old 02-24-2023, 07:32 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Took a video from the single knock on a left turn. It seems actually only when turning left.

its a always a single knock and a little growling noise which stops as soon as I stop turning.

high speed turns there is no sound at all…

Anyone has an idea what this could be?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (11.37 MB, 32 views)
Old 02-25-2023, 01:20 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Can't hurt to change that axel.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Today I jacked up the car and checked more carefully and the play and ticking is not coming from the cv axle.

The clicking sound is coming from the output shaft on the differential which seems loose. No play on the passenger side.

Is assume this is not normal... will drain the oil from the differential tomorrow to check for metal particles.

Also can I just pull the output shaft out to check the snap ring without damaging the seal inside?

Old 03-02-2023, 02:46 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Story continues, received parts late in the afternoon so only had time for the front diff.

Got 0.5 liters out of the diff very dark dark oil
Ive managed to get 0.85 liters in until the filler overflowed. 0.35 liters short…?

Oil didn’t look flakey but the plug had some tiny bits of metal and was filled with some sort of metal pulp. Will do the rear diff tomorrow to compare.

I noticed that the diff on the left doesn’t have the same gap as on the right side. Perhaps output shaft not fully engaged. Will wait for the new cv axle to arrive to check.

Oil out of front diff

Drain plug with metal pulp

Output shaft on passenger side (right)

Output shaft on driver side (left)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:15 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

At 71k miles, the front diff oil should look like new (clear/amber). You have a compromised seal for whatever reason(prior repair, submerged front end?), and the contamination has likely destroyed the bearings and probably gears. A new front diff is the likely necessary fix.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:32 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrett376
At 71k miles, the front diff oil should look like new (clear/amber). You have a compromised seal for whatever reason(prior repair, submerged front end?), and the contamination has likely destroyed the bearings and probably gears. A new front diff is the likely necessary fix.
Hi Garret,

Today I did the rear diff and the fluid is totally black as well. The front diff fluid looks a bit more greenish than the rear.

Also interesting is that I drained only 1 liter out of rear, should be 1.4 on the turbo and I took 0.5 out of the front which should be 0.9 on the turbo.

if bearings are shot shouldn’t I have a major grinding noise from the front?

Looking for places to maybe do a front diff rebuild..

71k miles but mostly city traffic and let’s face it the car is 12 years old..

Left jar is front diff fluid, right jar is rear diff

Last edited by Joostem; 03-03-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:40 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers, but if you do not have PTV+, the rear diff capacity is 1 liter; PTV+ differentials are 1.3 liters. And the front diff capacity is 0.5 liters.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:59 AM
Joostem
Advanced

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers, but if you do not have PTV+, the rear diff capacity is 1 liter; PTV+ differentials are 1.3 liters. And the front diff capacity is 0.5 liters.
Well I just followed the alldata procedure to fill till to lower edge of the inspection hole on both front and rear differential. I was able to get 0.85 in the front and 1.4 in the rear.

All data for rear front is 0.5 but my inspection didn’t let fluid out till 0.85
Old 03-03-2023, 12:10 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Level ground?

Level car?
Old 03-03-2023, 12:31 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Level ground?

Level car?
Indeed sir, level ground level car also I didn’t move the car since the change so it’s strange that the rear takes the exact amount of fluid as according to alldata but the front takes 350 ml more..

still doesn’t explain why there was only 1 liter in the rear before.. 😅
Old 03-03-2023, 12:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joostem
still doesn’t explain why there was only 1 liter in the rear before.. 😅
Sure it does: whomever did it before you did it right, and you are doing it wrong! 1 liter is correct! Your blurb from AllData above is not!

So do you have a PTV differential? If you do NOT have a PTV differential, the fill quantity is 1.0 liters. Reason: you are not supposed to fill it until it runs out - that's why you are adding more than 1.0 liters, as you are overfilling it. As specified in the workshop manual, if you have a V8/V8T with no PTV, you are supposed to fill it to 6mm below the lower edge of the fill screw. If you have PTV, you fill it TO THE LEVEL of the fill screw, meaning it runs out.

I'd tend to believe the workshop manual over AllData's interpretation of it.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:56 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And yes, same goes for the front differential: the fill quantity is 0.5 liters. It's supposed to be filled to around 5mm below the fill screw level. Looks like AllData leaves that bit of info out.
Old 03-03-2023, 02:23 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Sure it does: whomever did it before you did it right, and you are doing it wrong! 1 liter is correct! Your blurb from AllData above is not!

So do you have a PTV differential? If you do NOT have a PTV differential, the fill quantity is 1.0 liters. Reason: you are not supposed to fill it until it runs out - that's why you are adding more than 1.0 liters, as you are overfilling it. As specified in the workshop manual, if you have a V8/V8T with no PTV, you are supposed to fill it to 6mm below the lower edge of the fill screw. If you have PTV, you fill it TO THE LEVEL of the fill screw, meaning it runs out.

I'd tend to believe the workshop manual over AllData's interpretation of it.
My car does not have the PTV rear diff so in that case I will stick to your recommendation and drain and fill again with .5 in the front and 1.0 in the back. I am assuming that this is stil the original fluid...

I am disappointed in Alldata now.. I thought it was pretty accurate. Do you know where I can find an actual copy of the workshop manual?

Back to the fluid, can I assume that my rear diff is in trouble as well if the fluid is that black? Rear diff doesn't make any noise at all, front diff neither but I sometimes have drive train vibrations at random speeds and this single loud clunk every time I make a sharp turn under power.

I hope tomorrow I have time to remove the CV axle and see whats up with this output shaft on the left side.

Thanks a lot for your help guys!
Old 03-03-2023, 02:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

While I'm sure the factory has its reasons to fill it how it recommends, you're likely fine filling it the way you did it. I just wanted to answer your question and concern as to why there seemed to only be 1.0 liters in the rear.

I'm not sure why your oil would look that bad; maybe you guys have different oil fills for your part of the world, where it starts out black?! Looking at oil, and analyzing it are different things, so if you're looking at a $4000 repair, it might be nice to get an oil analysis. It's interesting that your differential drain plug has a magnetic center piece to catch debris; none of the Cayennes I've seen have that. It is interesting/curious that yours does. Have you owned this Cayenne since new? If not, someone might have known of the pending differential failure, and this was a measure to try to slow its destruction.

Quick Reply: Bad CV axle? Cayenne Turbo 2011