Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buying a used 2017 Cayenne S? A crazy story...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 01:29 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

@SoundsoftheSuburbs So...when they buy your old Cayenne, you need to chip in and buy *her* a membership to PCA and RL.

...and tell her, up front, that she needs to post pics, or it didn't happen!
Old 02-14-2023, 03:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
We talked it over for hours last night. My father was more adamant than I realized about trying to buy it back. We agreed that no more than a 10% premium would be paid to get it back and that other options should be considered. His other options to consider are to go to two other local Porsche dealerships to find her another one or to go get "a Range Rover or a Volvo."

She has absolutely no idea what a Porsche even is based on the conversation. She initially said she favored something with a warranty, but quickly quieted and indicated that she wanted whatever my dad wants. We also agreed that they would call me to come to the dealership before finalizing anything.
Good. 10% is the roadblock. Call the dealer and tell them to humor you and not to budge below 20%. Then head to the Volvo and lease a nice XC60. With a warranty.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:21 PM
SoundsoftheSuburbs
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Thinking on another level. Yes this thread has a lot of factors in play and it's not about your parents buying your Cayenne back, which should never be done. You and that car broke up, you don't get back together even at the same price you sold it for.

I'm taking it as pops is the 70 year old and mom's is the 50, good going pops! If he uses a wheelchair but thinks he's going to be driving again well, I don't know if he needs a wheelchair or just wants a wheelchair. All these factors that you've thrown into the equation, dad in wheelchair, parents not really into the auto game and paying more for wiper repair than the car is worth, tells me that you might want to consider talking with them and asking if you can be their transportation guardian, aka Auto Power of Attorney. Speak with them and help them choose the right vehicle for them. then once that vehicle is chosen, help them find the right one and absolutely help them close that deal as the elderly are being scammed out of all their money every second of the day.

If I was in a wheelchair, I'd want a Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey minivan..... Period. They aren't racing around they canyons and that type of vehicle will make their lives so incredibly easy and maintenance free, it's kinda a no brainer. I couldn't imaging your mom constantly folding up and throwing that chair in to the truck every time they went somewhere. That can get tiring real quick.

Oh, nice move putting the word "Crazy" in your title. This thread is going to get read by everyone. I'll have to put that in all my titles going forward.
Apparently, she is 49. He is turning 71 in a matter of weeks.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:30 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
Apparently, she is 49. He is turning 71 in a matter of weeks.
I picked that up in your first post. Sounds like he's still eating his Wheaties.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:16 AM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I sure do wish you the best of luck in this situation!
Old 02-15-2023, 11:06 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

This thread reminds me of the joke about the hunter and the bear, where the hunter shoots at the bear, misses by a mile, the bear takes "liberties" with the hunter, and the hunter keeps coming back, shooting and missing, and the bear keeps doing his thing. Finally, the bear says to the hunter "This isn't about hunting, is it?"

This isn't about your old Cayenne and getting it back from the dealer at a "reasonable" price; it's about your dad and his ego (which you freely acknowledge).

Good luck. My mom passed away a couple of years ago and looking back, the most loving and thoughtful thing she did for her children was about 15 years before she died, she moved into senior housing that started off as independent living but had sections of the facility that transitioned to assisted living, and even full nurshing home care. She'd seen too many of her friends try to stay 'independent' for way too long and the strife it caused their children. Losing a parent is never 'easy' but her living situation removed a huge stressor from consideration.

Anyway, back to your question: I have a 2014 CTTS with almost 90K miles on it and so far, it's been rock solid. As in, not one repair ever. It's by no means a cheap vehicle to maintain (e.g. Michelin PS4S only last about 20K miles and are almost $2K to replace), but I knew that going in and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm not expecting it to last forever and am planning on ditching it when the inevitable big repair comes up (air shocks anyone?). If your folks do end up getting your old buggy, I'd advise them to budget at least $2k/year for maintenance/repair and if they don't spend it to roll it over; eventually they will get hit with a big repair bill. Sounds like your dad knows the drill given his history of high end vehicles, but your step-mom not so much.

The advice above about giving the dealership a heads up and telling them not to go below 20% markup is great; IMO this isn't the vehicle for them.

If he absolutely HAS to have a European buggy, VW or Volvo SUV would be my advice. Minivan would be the ideal option IMO but from what you describe, there's no way in <expletive deleted> your dad's going to be chauffeured about in one.

Again, good luck and I appreciate that this must be a challenging situation for you.

The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:53 AM
SoundsoftheSuburbs
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

They were not able to reach a deal on the Cayenne last night—they were there from 5:30 PM to after 9:00 PM. The dealer got down to just above that 10% mark and I am heartened that my dad said no. The salesman pivoted them to an Atlas Cross Sport, which my dad told me that he was going to buy because "this salesman has been excellent." At that point, I had to walk into the dealer because everything I was hearing from them about VW Credit offers was marked up by the dealer to the maximum allowed. I sort of blew up the transaction. Today, Edmunds confirmed to me that the salesman blatantly lied about the promotional APRs, just as I told both of them while we were in the showroom. While I was waiting for them, I actually hung out in the nearby Mazda dealership. Talked it over and I'm thinking that they should at least consider a lease on the CX-9. It looks like you can get one well-equipped for around $500-550/month for 36mo/10k.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:46 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Good for you, sticking up for your parents when a salesman tries to take advantage. I handled purchases for my parents for many years.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Simeon
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

We purchased a CPO 2017 Cayenne S for my wife a little over a year ago, and I thank God it was a CPO or my wife would have murdered me. There would have been at least 15-20k in repairs that we took it back to the dealer for in the first two months of ownership (transfer case, oil leak, another oil leak, coolant leak, loss of turbo boost - just software update, broken window switch, bad trunk actuators, and I'm probably forgetting something). My father really wanted to get my mother a similar used Cayenne or a Macan around the same time, but seeing all of these problems we had decided to just get a brand new Toyota Highlander and I'm very glad they did that. It has a lot more driving aids which could become very useful only once ever and still make all the difference. And I know it would be a reliable car with much cheaper maintenance.

Quick Reply: Buying a used 2017 Cayenne S? A crazy story...