Coolant leak found...I think

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 04:16 PM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coolant leak found...I think

Hi everyone,
I've been experiencing a slow/sporadic coolant leak on my 2015 CS for about a year now. It's never bad enough that I had to immediately drive to the repair shop to fix. Sometimes I could go couple of months without seeing the reservoir level go down, sometimes it would be only couple of weeks and it would go down to the MIN level. So, I've been procrastinating repairs by just kept checking every few weeks and refilling as necessary. There's never any signs of coolant on my garage floor but I do smell coolant once in awhile in the garage. This past weekend, I (think) I finally found the location of the leak after removing the engine cover. There are 2 rubber tubes connected to the sides of the intake manifold where I see dry coolant residue flaking off. In fact, you can even see what appears to be residual liquid spraying out pattern around both areas of the tubes. I didn't show it on these pictures but there were actually some coolant-cicles that were solidified running down the joint of the tube that I removed. I checked those tubes for any hardening or cracking but they seemed fine and are securely clamped down by the metal rings. Has anyone run into a similar issue? I'm tempted to remove those tubes to see what's going on but afraid of breaking something. Any tips or anything to watch out for before I remove them? I do all my engine/transfer case oil changes and brake jobs on my own but would appreciate more tech savvy folks to chime with any pointers or words of wisdom. TIA.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:12 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

looks like you have a squirter
Old 01-17-2023, 12:34 AM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

It looks like the leak is coming from under the manifold and spraying that rubber line and all around it.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:53 AM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Those aren't coolant hoses on the intake. One's a sensor (MAP likely) and the other's an air hose.

You have a leak down below, something is squirting upwards.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:10 AM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Originally Posted by gutenfreibier
It looks like the leak is coming from under the manifold and spraying that rubber line and all around it.
I think you're right. Damn. Is it easy/straightforward to remove the manifold to look under it?
Old 01-17-2023, 04:11 AM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tappet
Those aren't coolant hoses on the intake. One's a sensor (MAP likely) and the other's an air hose.

You have a leak down below, something is squirting upwards.
It appears so. Now I need to see if I have enough courage to disassemble the manifold to have a look underneath.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak found...I think