LED Headlight Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 10:34 PM
gr8ful4flat6
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LED Headlight Conversion Kit

Hello,

Has anyone done a retrofit for LED Headlight Conversion kit p/n 95804490090?

I have a 2015 CD with PDLS. Is this conversion a possible DIY?
Appreciate it!

Old 11-15-2022, 09:15 AM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes possible.

I did for my Cayenne 2016. You would need PIWIS though for programming. Also no PDLS+ unless you already have front camera (on Windscreen).
Its a bit expensive upgrade but totally worth it.
The following users liked this post:
gr8ful4flat6 (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 11:51 AM
gr8ful4flat6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sami_cayenne
Yes possible.

I did for my Cayenne 2016. You would need PIWIS though for programming. Also no PDLS+ unless you already have front camera (on Windscreen).
Its a bit expensive upgrade but totally worth it.
Thank you, that sounds great. I don’t have the camera, and I am ok without the auto high beam function. I didn’t purchase the kit yet, but it’s something that I wanted on the car since day 1, and it’s been 7 years already 🙂.

Does it come with a set of good instructions as to what parts do you need to remove/reuse and adjust relevant settings/levels?

Are the old headlamps sellable?

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2022, 06:33 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Subscribed...is this an option for a 958.1 or just the later cars?
Old 11-15-2022, 06:36 PM
gr8ful4flat6
Intermediate

This is the kit that I was referring: https://tequipment-finder.porsche.co...257F0300478A97
Old 11-16-2022, 06:42 AM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by gr8ful4flat6
Thank you, that sounds great. I don’t have the camera, and I am ok without the auto high beam function. I didn’t purchase the kit yet, but it’s something that I wanted on the car since day 1, and it’s been 7 years already 🙂.

Does it come with a set of good instructions as to what parts do you need to remove/reuse and adjust relevant settings/levels?

Are the old headlamps sellable?

Thanks again!
There are no instruction as you are supposed to get it done by a dealer. I have a Chinese PIWIS and I know my way around it so was able to code very easily. No sure of other hardware(e.g X431) can do programming.

For installation, all you have to do is remove old lights, install new one( same connector and no physical changes required) and programme it. I had to level it though using a wall as lights were a bit low (You can take it to a calibration center where they have some sort of hardware/mirrors that give exact position(its still manual though)

And yes, you can sell old ones on ebay as I have seen there many.. although I have been lazy and mine still sitting in my garage.
gr8ful4flat6 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 06:48 AM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
As per my info, 958.1 did not come with LED Headlight option.

You can see what upgrades are available from below.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/...ayenne%20Turbo

Old 11-16-2022, 11:13 AM
gr8ful4flat6
Intermediate

@sami_cayenne, thank you, does it need any “cloud activation” or something like that?

Thinking about taking it to a Porsche independent shop for programming, and according to them, they don’t have the cloud subscription access with Porsche like authorized dealers.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:24 PM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by gr8ful4flat6
@sami_cayenne, thank you, does it need any “cloud activation” or something like that?

Thinking about taking it to a Porsche independent shop for programming, and according to them, they don’t have the cloud subscription access with Porsche like authorized dealers.
No cloud activation is required.
gr8ful4flat6 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 02:13 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
.2 only

If you want those 4 dot LED headlights, go straight to AliExpress. Roughly $700 will land you a knockoff pair.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:26 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
.2 only

If you want those 4 dot LED headlights, go straight to AliExpress. Roughly $700 will land you a knockoff pair.
Do you have a link? I've tried to buy a few things on aliexpress and each time for whatever reason I couldn't complete the purchase. Unless it's because I live in the USA?
Old 11-17-2022, 09:07 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

There's a pair on Aliexpress for 700 and change and 1,800. I wonder if the quality is good.....seals well, etc.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:07 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
There's a pair on Aliexpress for 700 and change and 1,800. I wonder if the quality is good.....seals well, etc.
I think it's same ****. There are only a couple of major manufacturers out there. The rest are resellers. I used to be in the HID business and worked directly with the manufacturer. Then learned about the resellers, who's major downfall was warranty.

I've been thinking about those headlights myself, just keep forgetting after a while.

As far as ordering to the US from Ali.... shouldn't be an issue, I've ordered lots of random things mainly due to curiosity. The only stuff that gets held up are things with batteries.

Here are a few links. I believe AKD is the main brand here. The price difference seems to be based on one headlight or both. Average price $600

US $1,181.50 15%OFF | Applicable to 2011-2017 Porsche Cayenne LED headlights and headlight assembly installation
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOiNnF2

US $645.67 44%OFF | Headlight Assembly LED For Porsche Cayenne Macan 2011-2020 Car Day Running Lights Fog DRL Lamps Accessory Brake Stop Turn Signal
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLL1ZKu

The cheaper one is a LEFT headlight.
medphreak (11-18-2022)
Old 05-16-2023, 04:47 PM
Agencik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sami_cayenne
There are no instruction as you are supposed to get it done by a dealer. I have a Chinese PIWIS and I know my way around it so was able to code very easily. No sure of other hardware(e.g X431) can do programming.

For installation, all you have to do is remove old lights, install new one( same connector and no physical changes required) and programme it. I had to level it though using a wall as lights were a bit low (You can take it to a calibration center where they have some sort of hardware/mirrors that give exact position(its still manual though)

And yes, you can sell old ones on ebay as I have seen there many.. although I have been lazy and mine still sitting in my garage.
hi, can you tell where and what should be done to program led headlights please? As I’ve got 2015 with bi-xenon pdls and I want to do retrofit which already have set and Chinese piwis 3 too but never used piwis before so don’t want to mess up too much 🤷🏻‍♂️ thanks in advance
Old 05-17-2023, 12:55 AM
sami_cayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by Agencik
hi, can you tell where and what should be done to program led headlights please? As I’ve got 2015 with bi-xenon pdls and I want to do retrofit which already have set and Chinese piwis 3 too but never used piwis before so don’t want to mess up too much 🤷🏻‍♂️ thanks in advance
Below steps would help you but there might be some additional steps as you programme the lights. PIWIS will give you indication what module needs to be configured/calibrated. Also if you bought second hand lights, it might already been programmed and all you need to enable the option. But if you bought brand new lights(like I did), PIWIS needs to programme(new headlight module programming is different to the PIWIS option enablement and car control unit programming as per steps below. The car module programming as per below steps enables the option and headlight programming programme the new headlight and modules attached to it) it which take good 30 minutes and you need to follow the process in the headlight module(while programming it asks to you do certain steps like turn off the car, turn again and start etc) which you would need to figure out on the fly. But dont worry too much as you wont mess up things. In worse case scenario if programming failed, you can start over or revert back to original headlight.

So Connect the PIWIS to the car and open PIWIS on the laptop ( I have PIWIS II and not 3. But steps below would be same with probably different interface)

Diagnostics > Cayenne > 92A from MY 2011

Once you are the modules section selection ADDITIONAL MENU from bottom list (It asks to create a VAL, just select no)

Once you are in the additional Menu option

Maintenance of vehicle data > Next > Next > Next (here you will see all the option for the car)

Here you would have two options to change. Automatic Headlight which is High Beam Assit but for this your car needs to have front camera on the windscreen(just behind the rear view mirror). and the second option to change XENON headllights to LED under MAIN HEADLIGHTS. I have attached two snapshots of the settings my car have. For LED headlight there are 3 settings, one for USA, one for Right Hand Traffic and then for Left Hand Traffic. Me being in LHT country so I had selected that.

Scroll down and find MAIN HEADLIGHT and in Value Section Led option as per your region

Click Next > Next ( it will down you then a screen with new value and old value)

Hit Save(F8)

Click Back Twice which will take you to main control unit section screen.

Here you will need to select all modules and doing programming (usually if you know which control unit are required, you can just select two and programme) but in this instance I did select all unless someone can tell you which modules are programmed for this upgrade(but select all is find as well which I did)

Select All(Ctrl A) > Coding Adaptations > Automatic Coding > Next (it will start reading all codes and then writing and will take good 10-15 mins)
(BEFORE you do the programming, make sure your battery is in good condition and car is connected to a external power source as you dont want you car to shutdown while programming is in progress otherwise it could mess up the car and come back might be very difficult. ( I have Schumacher INC100 which can provide upto 100Amps of continuous power and allow car to remain on)

Once its done, check the Fault Memory of Headlight module and all other modules as well, to see whats errors or require further configuration(e.g new headlight calibration). and go from there.

It will take some time and go back and forward to get all done but its not that much difficult. Just follow the prompts and errors and you would know what is missing and what needs to be done.

Last edited by sami_cayenne; 05-17-2023 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: LED Headlight Conversion Kit