Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 12:18 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Always a good idea to replace the O rings or crush washers when changing oil on any car. In the old days we never bothered with this but I think now the tolerances are more exact so changing is a good idea. The old type filters that screw on always have a new O ring. Sounds like you tracked down the leak and it is an easy fix.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:19 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Okay, back on 10/17 I posted I loosened the filter housing and re-tightened it. I drove it quite a bit, including one 2.5 hour (one-way) highway trip with the trailer with a light load (not a car). Did not see any drips, but it has to be pretty bad to get a drip since it will collect on the top side of the plastic cover first.

Put it on the lift this weekend with the intent of removing and replacing the housing, but NO LEAK. I will keep the new housing and take a very close look when I change the oil/filter next time.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:25 PM
rich c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a similar small oll leak at the filter. 3 months ago when I changed the oil, I made extra sure both small and large O-rings were seated properly. Torqued the cap to 25nm / 19ftlb. I still have a small leak. So maybe it is the housing itself? Does anyone have a remove/replace the oil filter housing diagram or DIY? 2012 CCT 958.2
Old 01-27-2023, 06:05 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rich c4s
I have a similar small oll leak at the filter. 3 months ago when I changed the oil, I made extra sure both small and large O-rings were seated properly. Torqued the cap to 25nm / 19ftlb. I still have a small leak. So maybe it is the housing itself? Does anyone have a remove/replace the oil filter housing diagram or DIY? 2012 CCT 958.2
Just to clarify, are you looking for an 'official' published how-to on changing the filter, just to make sure the process does not require something different than the obvious?

I have had lots of cars with these types of housings and have not had an issue in the past. I had a Lexus IS 350 that used a metal housing. The rest have been plastic.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:24 PM
rich c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a small leak. It is not the housing cap. Could it be the attachment point where the body of the housing meets the engine? It's a plastic piece attaching the a metal piece I believe. Has anyone seen a leak here?
Old 02-12-2023, 11:55 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

I just changed my oil again and used the new plastic housing. Before I installed it, I used 400 grit sandpaper to go around the O-ring sealing surface and a very thin film of lube on the O-ring. In one short drive (enough to get up to full temp) no leaks. I cleaned up the original housing - seems fine. I will re-install that one next time.

Also changed the transmission fluid.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak