Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Highest Mileage 958 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:02 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Just turned 125K on my 13 Cayenne S. Put 55k of those my self + wife as its been her DD for the past year.

Only issue ever was the rear passenger tail light died. That was freakin' expensive, but other than that, its been ridiculous in terms of reliability . Almost a year left on the TC Extended warranty, been actually trying my best to have it fail , but must have been built on a Tuesday as its still good. Original one.

Having owned my fair share of Porsche's both vintage and modern, the 958 has to be one of the best platforms to come out of Porsche .
The following 4 users liked this post by 911-140.6:
Bobcat Sig (08-09-2022), cwc1jz (08-09-2022), KBell (08-10-2022), Robocop305 (04-28-2023)
Old 08-09-2022, 02:48 PM
cwc1jz
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-140.6
Just turned 125K on my 13 Cayenne S. Put 55k of those my self + wife as its been her DD for the past year.

Only issue ever was the rear passenger tail light died. That was freakin' expensive, but other than that, its been ridiculous in terms of reliability . Almost a year left on the TC Extended warranty, been actually trying my best to have it fail , but must have been built on a Tuesday as its still good. Original one.

Having owned my fair share of Porsche's both vintage and modern, the 958 has to be one of the best platforms to come out of Porsche .
That is awesome to hear! The more I look into the Cayennes, the more I want one.

At 125k, how are your suspension components holding up? Any issues with your bushings or mounts?

Old 08-10-2022, 03:36 AM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

My 958 just passed 113,000 miles recently. This is my first Porsche ever. This is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned, and it's over 10 years old lol. It's a 2011, and I got it in March this year with around 110k miles, IIRC, I forget. I hadn't driven it that much. Absolutely zero problems that weren't self-induced i.e. trying to install a catch can and accidentally breaking the power steering reservoir. That was an easy replacement, and probably due for one anyway since there's a filter in the reservoir.

I have no plans to get rid of this thing, maybe ever. I know I say that now.... but I really mean it. It's a swiss army knife of a vehicle... twin turbo v8, 500hp, can smoke plenty of quick cars, can tow 7000lbs, has tons of interior room, has adjustable ride height air suspension, has an amazing interior that doesn't look out of date in 2022 (nor does the exterior styling), the list goes on and on. Only thing I'm missing is the PDCC I wish I had. But I just started working with a remote tuner, so soon I'll have the ECU re-tuned for another 70+ hp and tq, which should enhance the fun factor. Then I'm going to upgrade/open up the exhaust for more power (and that V8 sound, however small it may be). Once I figure out how to install the Water Meth Injection kit I have sitting in the garage, that should add another 70+ hp easily once tuned properly. Probably will eventually just run pure meth and not a 50/50 water mix.

I love this vehicle and I really hope it lasts me another 100,000 miles or close to it. The prior owner addressed the transfer case and cam bolts under the factory warranty - fixed by Porsche dealer(s). When I bought it, the dealer had done some basic stuff like new spark plugs, oil change, air filter etc. I didn't HAVE to replace the tires, but I did. I bought it with winter tires, so I bit the bullet and bought a set of nice Michelin summer tires. Soon when the snow starts flying here in Colorado, I'll have to get another set of winters though :/

Brakes are fine, but are getting to be about time for new pads/rotors. Plus, I always like to upgrade those on any car I get with some nice drilled/slotted pieces w/ quality pads and fluid.

So far it's been nothing but reliable and fun. I took a turn too quick once and now one of the rear wheels is bent from hitting a sidewalk or something. It's hardly noticeable but it sucks and I hate that. I need to have the wheel repaired and that involves having to paint/powdercoat the wheel after they fix the bend (per the shop). I also have some minor cosmetic body issues I'm not happy about on the front bumper and rear bumper. I just keep putting off taking it to a body shop, but I need to.

Only thing I wish I had was Android Auto and PDCC. Otherwise it's incredibly complete and the Porsche dealer I took it to for a look-over when I got it said something to the effect of these things "being tanks" and reliable/strong.
The following users liked this post:
cwc1jz (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 03:40 AM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainStone
If you will be driving 110 miles every day, my first thought is that you should get a diesel (but I haven’t run any numbers to support the notion).

My 2011 CTT just rolled over 101k. I’ve owned since 2016 and ~50K miles. Aside from normal maintenance, it’s had the variocam bolts, transfer case and rear differential all replaced under warranty. I paid to have the glued coolant fittings pinned. My driver’s rear door lock is intermittent and needs replaced but I haven’t gotten around to it.
How/who did the glued coolant fittings? Are you talking about that issue on the back side of the motor where there's some crossover pipe or something (I forget exactly) that over time can come loose from inside the block or whatever? How much did that run ya? I think I should do that too on my 2011 CTT, just for peace of mind. I have no leaks, but I have heard it can happen. At least it's not as bad as the 955/957 coolant lines that ran underneath the intake manifold, I guess.

I just have to find a mechanic willing to do it that knows how to do it and what exactly I'm talking about / need done if he doesn't already know.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:17 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by cwc1jz
That is awesome to hear! The more I look into the Cayennes, the more I want one.

At 125k, how are your suspension components holding up? Any issues with your bushings or mounts?

So I think the way to go in terms of durability and lowest cost of maintenance is to go with the Cayenne S without air suspension, which is what I have. The standard no frills suspension will never fail and according to my Tech at the Porsche dealership, the upper and lower CA's go for a while. It still truly rides like it has 40k miles. No clunks or looseness and I run the factory 21's . Actually just had its annual NY state inspection and all the bushings and bearings are all good.

The only thing about these 958's is that they eat tires for lunch. Almost like clockwork, the tires are pretty much done after 10k miles, especially the rears. Probably due to its weight .

I like the non turbo V8 of the S and GTS for dd duty. Plenty fast, and if you get at least a 2013, it won't have the cam bolts issue but most pre-13's have gotten the recall done anyways.

That said, Coventry Motor Cars in CT just listed a CTT with 175K miles on it and I've known and bought cars from them for 15 yrs and they don't sell anything that isn't well sorted with great history so it goes to show you how , with proper care , these things are stout .

cwc1jz (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 01:09 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine has 129k and the suspension is great, but I've never driven anything I could really compare it to. No noises, shudders, bouncing. My indy does the maintenance and drives it sometimes and says everything looks great.
cwc1jz (08-10-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 01:35 PM
gotsis
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

2013 GTS 176,000 miles bought new, still with original air suspension and TC

water pump replaced and new thermostat housing at 140k
Oils service every 7 k
as well as lots of tires and brakes
The following 7 users liked this post by gotsis:
1988PorscheS4 (05-22-2024), Chris M. (12-16-2022), cwc1jz (08-15-2022), jpru2001 (08-15-2022), jung996fraulein (10-22-2022), KBell (08-14-2022), Robocop305 (04-28-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-2022, 11:54 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

So I think the way to go in terms of durability and lowest cost of maintenance is to go with the Cayenne S without air suspension, which is what I have. The standard no frills suspension will never fail and according to my Tech at the Porsche dealership, the upper and lower CA's go for a while. It still truly rides like it has 40k miles. No clunks or looseness and I run the factory 21's . Actually just had its annual NY state inspection and all the bushings and bearings are all good.

The only thing about these 958's is that they eat tires for lunch. Almost like clockwork, the tires are pretty much done after 10k miles, especially the rears. Probably due to its weight .

I like the non turbo V8 of the S and GTS for dd duty. Plenty fast, and if you get at least a 2013, it won't have the cam bolts issue but most pre-13's have gotten the recall done anyways.

That said, Coventry Motor Cars in CT just listed a CTT with 175K miles on it and I've known and bought cars from them for 15 yrs and they don't sell anything that isn't well sorted with great history so it goes to show you how , with proper care , these things are stout .
I also bought a car from them some years ago. Good folks.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:50 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gotsis
2013 GTS 176,000 miles bought new, still with original air suspension and TC

water pump replaced and new thermostat housing at 140k
Oils service every 7 k
as well as lots of tires and brakes
Wow
Old 08-15-2022, 10:12 AM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts

I don't think thats normal... I've gotten 40k plus on my tires with typical rotations
Old 08-15-2022, 10:32 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I also bought a car from them some years ago. Good folks.
Second on the Coventry endorsement. I've known them for many years through the Audi community...good people!
Old 08-15-2022, 10:35 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 536 Posts

So I think the way to go in terms of durability and lowest cost of maintenance is to go with the Cayenne S without air suspension, which is what I have.
I've had five cars (four SUVs and a wagon) with air suspension, and two very good mechanics along the way. I would not hesitate to buy another car with air...IMCO, the potential trade-offs are well worth it.

Except...for heavy offroad use. Losing an air suspension in rocky terrain is sub-optimal.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:18 AM
itgrunt
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I haven't noticed any issues with the suspension components. She still feels pretty smooth over the road and handles really well for a 10+ year SUV. Again, a great experience!

That is some serious miles!

This is also really good to hear. I am on the never ending search for a manual transmission as well Pretty much the reason I haven't found the perfect one yet haha Nonetheless, this makes me feel more confident with purchasing a higher millage vehicle!

How are your suspension components holding up? Are any bushings/mounts worn out?
cwc1jz (10-17-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 12:21 PM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

just rolled 179k on my S. Its been on some roads it probably shouldn't have, but so far no issues.
Its interesting to roll into the deer camp in a Porsche !
Old 10-15-2022, 04:43 PM
958nurse
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2011 CTT here, Purchased at 105k miles, I now have 125k miles. The TC went bad at 112k miles and was a 5700$ replacement.
No other issues thus far. All recalls done previously
I have a 2010 Nissan 370Z with 330K miles (all put on by me, purchased new) with 0 engine/tranny issues all put on by me so I have high expectations....even though I know that is very unrealistic.
No mods yet other than a few cosmetic upgrades (better HID bulbs, XB LED fog lights, Smoked side signals etc...)

Quick Reply: Highest Mileage 958 Cayenne