2011 CTT AC blowing hot air intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 08:17 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 CTT AC blowing hot air intermittently

Hi,

Interesting problem with the AC of my 2011 CTT, 4 zone climate control.

When the OAT is about 68 degrees AC works fine, no issues at all.
Now the AOT is about 86 degrees and my AC blows only hot air, no matter the climate control setting. Driving the car for about 15 minutes, switching AC and fan off and on again -> AC starts working normally.
Dealer checked the refrigerant all normal, no ac fault codes. They advise me to replace the compressor since they suspect it to fail soon.
I have a icarsoft scan tool which gives me no fault codes except for the 008301 Fan Control overcurrent. (Fans are blowing normally)

Any ideas what could cause this behaviour? I cannot believe that it is a faulty compressor...

Old 07-22-2022, 07:21 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Default Update

Was checking the live data on icarsoft and I noticed that OAT is showing strange high numbers. The OAT on the dash is showing correctly… ordered a new temperature sensor and will see if that solves the issue.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:35 PM
Joostem
Advanced

Default Update

Ok so I’ve replaced the outside air temp sensor but unfortunately this didn’t solve my issue.

while the bumper was off I had a look at the condensor.. looks all clean.

what I happened to notice is that when I switch on the car the Freon pressure is about 6 bars. The longer the car runs the higher the pressure gets (reaching 12 bars) which comes from the Freon expanding. I’ve also noticed that the evaporator temperature stays ambient… did a foam treatment via the HVAC drain hole and let it sit for about 30 minutes and after running the car for about 10 minutes out of the sudden the Evaporator temperature went down and I had cold air.

Next day, hot air again… still getting the
008301 Fan control overcurrent so I’ve ordered a blower motor replacement now. Will check if that solves anything
Old 08-05-2022, 10:58 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Default Update

Blower motor replaced, Fan overcurrent message is gone but ac still blowing hot air…

No faults, compressor runs I am out of thoughts…

anyone has a clue what is going on?
Old 08-05-2022, 11:46 AM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Could it be an internal sensor? There is one next to the steering column that looks like it should be an LED bulb that never lights up. I recall seeing another thread where this sensor was responsible for directing heated air to the footwells. Maybe worth taking a look at it?
Old 11-29-2022, 07:06 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Update: FIXED

So the other day I decided to try the 2 service bulletins.

I took the fan out left of the PCM and taped off the lower clip hole with HVAC tape to avoid air blowing on the sensor.

I noticed the hot foot well and a lot of air blowing under the steering wheel. Removed lower panels and found that the air was blowing from the Evaporator as mentioned in other threads. Taped off with HVAC tape as well, no more air leaking.

I wish I would have done this before. No more hot air blowing in the footwell, AC is so much more responsive and works like a charm. No more fogging up of the windshield when it is raining outside. magical fix which only costed me 5 USD in the end for the HVAC tape.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:56 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Wow, that's random!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:40 AM
psanjenis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot air mixed with cold

[I have a 1986 928S that I’ve just replaced the AC compressor, fan motor, dryer and barrier hose. If I toggle the AC to on at the first two program settings I get cold air out of the upper vent in the middle and hot air in the lower vent in the middle. Mind boggling as these just the air around and do not control temp. Any ideas?

QUOTE=Joostem;18273037]Ok so I’ve replaced the outside air temp sensor but unfortunately this didn’t solve my issue.

what I happened to notice is that when I switch on the car the Freon pressure is about 6 bars. The longer the car runs the higher the pressure gets (reaching 12 bars) which comes from the Freon expanding. I’ve also noticed that the evaporator temperature stays ambient… did a foam treatment via the HVAC drain hole and let it sit for about 30 minutes and after running the car for about 10 minutes out of the sudden the Evaporator temperature went down and I had cold air.

008301 Fan control overcurrent so I’ve ordered a blower motor replacement now. Will check if that solves anything [/QUOTE]
Old 04-20-2024, 10:56 AM
Joostem
Advanced

Originally Posted by psanjenis
[I have a 1986 928S that I’ve just replaced the AC compressor, fan motor, dryer and barrier hose. If I toggle the AC to on at the first two program settings I get cold air out of the upper vent in the middle and hot air in the lower vent in the middle. Mind boggling as these just the air around and do not control temp. Any ideas?

QUOTE=Joostem;18273037]Ok so I’ve replaced the outside air temp sensor but unfortunately this didn’t solve my issue.

008301 Fan control overcurrent so I’ve ordered a blower motor replacement now. Will check if that solves anything
[/QUOTE]

did you check mixture motors? On the Cayenne you can see the status of those when you attach a ODB scanner. On my old Hyundai these were a problem because they got stuck.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:08 PM
psanjenis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 928S AC Issues

Mixture motors? Not sure what these are.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:08 PM
Joostem
Advanced

I just see that the 928 has vacuum actuators... have a look at this link:

https://members.rennlist.com/pirtle/svc_heatv.html

Quick Reply: 2011 CTT AC blowing hot air intermittently