Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any ideas on the source of this oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 08:32 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any ideas on the source of this oil leak?

I have a deposit down on a 2013 Cayenne GTS with 57K miles and upon an inspection, I noticed a bit of oil collected on the driver's side frame rail adjacent the engine.
I spoke to a shop that performed a PPI on the car and they mentioned that they noted an RMS leak. The location of the oil doesn't seem like an RMS leak to me.
What are your thoughts on this? Could it just be leftover mess from a sloppy oil change?
I can reinspect it tomorrow, but I don't know how closely I can get into the engine compartment to trace the source. Sorry I don't have any wider shots, just this somewhat close-up. Once again this is the driver side frame rail looking forwards in the direction of the front left tire from the transfer case area. See the highlighted area from this YouTube screen capture from another vehicle. My pic is below.

Last edited by skidpalace; 04-10-2024 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:19 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

That's just anti-corrosion stuff; not related to an oil leak.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:53 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by garrett376
That's just anti-corrosion stuff; not related to an oil leak.
Thanks for your opinion, but I can assure you it is a localized spot of oil residue. How long it has been there and where it came from is the question.
There is no rust preventative on the frame but that will change if I buy this Cayenne.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:52 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK.... Did you rub your finger on it, to find that nothing actually comes off? I think I've seen just about every 958 V8 oil leak, and I've never seen one reach the body behind the subframe mount.

I don't know how much time you have spent under 958s, but do you think the following pics are oil leaks, too? Hint: they're not; it is an anti-corrosion covering from the factory that looks oily.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:49 AM
skidpalace
Instructor

OK.... Did you rub your finger on it, to find that nothing actually comes off? I think I've seen just about every 958 V8 oil leak, and I've never seen one reach the body behind the subframe mount.

I don't know how much time you have spent under 958s, but do you think the following pics are oil leaks, too? Hint: they're not; it is an anti-corrosion covering from the factory that looks oily.

I did not put my finger in it. Well that is very encouraging. Your second pic looks exactly the same and in the same spot. That’s why I was questioning the leak as it didn’t seem like a typical place for an RMS leak. I did not see it on the passenger side though. Nowhere else on the frame for that matter.
OK well I am going back to the dealer tomorrow with a positive attitude. I am also talking to the Indy shop that PPId the car to ask them more specifically where they saw the oil leak if they can recall it.
Thank you.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:55 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, for some reason it's only on the driver's side, in that specific area.

Good luck, as these are awesome machines!

If you are in MA and plan to drive in the winter/spring, buy 2-3 cans of Cosmoline RP-342 "Heavy" and coat everything on the underside to keep the winters from destroying the underside and all the fasteners. That stuff is awesome.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:57 AM
skidpalace
Instructor

Yes, for some reason it's only on the driver's side, in that specific area.

Good luck, as these are awesome machines!

If you are in MA and plan to drive in the winter/spring, buy 2-3 cans of Cosmoline RP-342 "Heavy" and coat everything on the underside to keep the winters from destroying the underside and all the fasteners. That stuff is awesome.
Thank you so much. This is great news. Getting a suspiciously great deal on the is low mile example and I found out the last buyer from December successfully forced the dealer to buy the car back after almost four months.
I thought it was this supposed RMS leak. I need to look even more closely and get more info before I end up the irate customer who needs to threaten legal action.
the dealer claimed the guy just had buyers remorse and wanted something else, the Indy shop said something else. I will find out what the Indy shop said in a few minutes as I am heading there now.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:07 AM
projectAM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skidpalace
Thanks for your opinion, but I can assure you it is a localized spot of oil residue. How long it has been there and where it came from is the question.
There is no rust preventative on the frame but that will change if I buy this Cayenne.
My 2013 GTS has the same appearance on the frame rail. No wet oil residue on mine.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:01 AM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by projectAM
My 2013 GTS has the same appearance on the frame rail. No wet oil residue on mine.
This forum is fantastic.
Ask and you shall receive. Thanks guys.
Indy shop didn't give me any more info than before but says they will call the former owner and ask him if he is willing to call me to discuss the issues he had with the vehicle, or if not they will try to get more answers themselves for me.
I'm ready to pull the trigger unless the guy had some valid reasons to walk away.
This car is clean inside and out and drives like a dream.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:45 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Default Update

So I spoke to the Indy shop who spoke to the previous owner. He confirmed what the dealer said in that he just got cold feet when he bought the Cayenne. He was pissed because the dealer told him the 5 day return policy didn’t apply to Porsches (they told me this before I placed my deposit down). There were no specific mechanical issues behind the reason for bailing out of the deal.
So his loss is my gain. I went back to the dealer after work and looked at it on the lift again. NO oil anywhere. There is the slightest of residues at the weep hole in the bell housing. No oil stains at all on the top of the plastic engine/trans cover where any RMS leak would drip. I am 100% sure that this car is sound.
By the way, there is also a brand new transfer case installed.
Dealer is now moving forward with the cosmetic paint and body touchups I negotiated. I should be in the new ride next week. I am pumped. I kind of feel like I am stealing this car from the dealer.
Here is a pic of the weep hole:

Old 04-20-2024, 03:10 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That could be grease or cosmoline that's been heated and is starting to run, or it could be residue from an oil change that wasn't caught. Either way it looks very minor. If i were you, I'd clean it thoroughly and check again in a few days / weeks.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:19 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hayabusa3
That could be grease or cosmoline that's been heated and is starting to run, or it could be residue from an oil change that wasn't caught. Either way it looks very minor. If i were you, I'd clean it thoroughly and check again in a few days / weeks.
I agree. I did buy the rig last week. the track has been running like a top for a week but and now I am chasing misfire codes. It's always something.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on the source of this oil leak?