Sponsored By:

2011 Cayenne S Hybrid - Battery Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 01:33 PM
mrrammstein
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid - Battery Upgrade Question

Hi Everyone - I've searched reasonably thoroughly online, aftermarket options seem to suggest that you can replace the NIMH Cells within the battery vs buying the entire battery assembly from Porsche. I have a 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid, with 140,000kms and I can tell the battery is done, as it takes a long while to charge fully, and when I go full E-power, I'm getting 3km or 1.86 Miles from full to when the engine kicks on to start recharging. A far cry from 13 Miles or 20km i should be seeing. Car has been meticulously maintained otherwise, so I'd like to continue with this one and fix the issue.

https://www.okacc.com/product-catego...rsche-cayenne/
https://ennocar.co.uk/product-catego...che/cayenne-s/

Also, it seems in 2020 the Cayenne Hybrid got a larger capacity battery that isn't physically larger, just better technology: https://insideevs.com/news/451493/po...igger-battery/

My two questions are - does anyone have experience going the aftermarket route with replacing the NIMH Cells within the battery? And is it possible/has anyone replaced a 2nd Gen Hybrid battery, with a 3rd Gen Hybrid battery that has the increased range?

I'm waiting on a price for these NIMH aftermarket cells from Ennocar, which likely will be the most cost effective replacement option, as buying the 3rd gen battery even if its an option, will still likely be the $10k price point we're accustomed two for the 2nd gen factory part.

Look forward to any suggestions from those that have replaced the battery with an upgraded/aftermarket option!

Thanks everyone
Old 06-11-2022, 04:07 PM
Umber
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't think the S-hybrid with 1,7 kWh nimh battery pack will ever get to 20km on epower. The 2015 S E-hybrid (plug in hybrid) is getting 25km max with the 10,4kWh li-ion battery pack.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:20 PM
MrSpiff
3rd Gear

Default Wow, what timing..

Wow, what timing, I just started searching for replacement and repairs on Friday and happened on this post.

Originally Posted by mrrammstein
Hi Everyone - I've searched reasonably thoroughly online, aftermarket options seem to suggest that you can replace the NIMH Cells within the battery vs buying the entire battery assembly from Porsche. I have a 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid, with 140,000kms and I can tell the battery is done, as it takes a long while to charge fully, and when I go full E-power, I'm getting 3km or 1.86 Miles from full to when the engine kicks on to start recharging. A far cry from 13 Miles or 20km i should be seeing. Car has been meticulously maintained otherwise, so I'd like to continue with this one and fix the issue.
I am in the same boat with my 2011 ~115K Miles. To my knowledge the HV battery has never been replaced. I got a Hybrid System warning about 6 months ago. I read online that performing a few hard sport mode pulls would solve it. It definitely made the error go away, but the longer-term problem of degraded battery longevity, slow charging, and poor gas milage have persisted. With my searching, the same era Panamera Hybrid goes full dead unusable/undrivable with a HV battery failure and requires a tow....and I cannot have that happen to my Cayenne.

Originally Posted by mrrammstein
My two questions are - does anyone have experience going the aftermarket route with replacing the NIMH Cells within the battery?...
I'm waiting on a price for these NIMH aftermarket cells from Ennocar, which likely will be the most cost effective replacement option, as buying the 3rd gen battery even if its an option, will still likely be the $10k price point we're accustomed two for the 2nd gen factory part.
Every 3rd party company I have called gets really squirrelly when I ask if they use all 100% new cells in the battery pack. The best answer I could get is that they replace the failed cells with good ones pulled from other packs and simply "refurbish" (charge and discharge cycles). Given the price Ennocar is advertising for the cells, I would preferably have a rebuilt unit with new cells that would last another 8-10 years vs 2-3 years (until another cell or 2 fails).

I'm a DIY person, so I paid the $20 for a month to AllDataDIY and honestly the disconnection and removal process for the battery pack is (relatively) easy and straight forward and I already have the tools needed, just time consuming and doublecheck yourself (it is HV electric).

I did a lot of searching for a battery pack disassembly video or pictures, I found none.
I also searched for the VW Touareg Hybrid as well as it seems like the same battery. I was only able to find a promotional material graphic with a cutaway view. The batteries were indeed long and cylindrical, similar to the ones advertised on the Ennocar site.

As for the cells, it seems like Ennocar is the only real vendor I can find as well. They do have US site, but it redirects to the UK site when you click on the car.
New Hybrid Battery for Porsche Cayenne S 2010-2014 from EnnoCar

I would be highly interested in your emails and conversation with Ennocar. I too will be sending them a message to get pricing.

Last edited by MrSpiff; 06-13-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:32 PM
mrrammstein
Intermediate

Quick update, I am having a hell of a time getting an answer out of Ennocar - i got their UK team to quote me $3500 GBP plus shipping, but then i was told i must deal with this main team because UK doesn't have coverage for Canada. I then went on Ennocar.com, and after a few spotty repsones, I've yet to get a quote from them.

That said, I found a company that buys from them - they are in Canada though only it appears: https://www.hybrid.mobilebattery.ca/

I am waiting on a quote from them, thats my progress so far!
Old 06-27-2022, 12:15 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are still in the Market Research phase of your project, you might consider contacting the Electrified Garage: https://electrifiedgarage.com/

Based upon a few casual viewings of some of the founder’s YouTube videos (Rich Rebuilds), these guys are car enthusiasts, EV enthusiasts and fans of saving money by avoiding dealership service departments.

If you can ship your battery to them, I wager they can restore it to at least OEM spec, if not update it.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:37 PM
audilyfe42
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You read the wrong specs
the 2015 has a range of 13 to 18

Your 2011, like my 2012 has a range of, 1.6-1.8 miles
Looks like your battery is the opposite of done.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:43 AM
cayenne16
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audilyfe42
You read the wrong specs
the 2015 has a range of 13 to 18

Your 2011, like my 2012 has a range of, 1.6-1.8 miles
Looks like your battery is the opposite of done.
I recently purchased a 2017 S E-Hybrid. Dealer said it would have had 30 km brand new. After charging I'm only seeing 12-13km range (Feb winter time). Is this considered normal?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:48 PM
Umber
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I would say 12-25km is normal for e-hybrids. The range depends heavily on outside temperature. Also the predicted range takes into account earlier consumption, so spirited driving will lower the estimate.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:39 AM
tmk35
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get around 12miles on e-hybrid, get around 8miles if I drive up hill. I tried to calculate the power cost, which is around 30c per 1 kW (if I charged at off-peak hour), that will cost me about $3 for 12 miles. I think it may be comparable to or even more expensive than gas $6 per gallon, so I end up not saving using plugin..
Old 04-16-2024, 02:08 PM
venicemerchant
1st Gear

Default 2015 Cayenne S Hybrid - Battery Uograde Questiion

Just wanted to revisit a thread from 2 years ago. Has anyone found a supplier in UK/EU that provides upgrades to the battery pack?

Ideally want to achieve or exceed the same electric-only range as the 3rd gen plug-in hybrid.

thanks
adam
Old 04-17-2024, 03:36 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey! I was eyeing S hybrids before I bought my V8 S, but after some research, the consensus was that it wasn’t a good hybrid system, and not worth the money so I went with the less complicated non hybrid version.

Hybrid vehicle battery packs are comprised of multiple cells wired in series (for higher voltage) and parallel (for higher capacity). There are hybrid shops that could remove the battery pack, inspect each cell individually and replace any bad ones.

Hybrid battery failures are usually caused by 1 or 2 cells failing out of dozens (or maybe hundreds) and the battery mostly comes back to life after replacing these bad cells.

Hybrid battery packs arent that much different between brands, so even a Prius shop could help, if they can source replacement cells. (Actually they could help better because they have experience with hybrid battery packs) And you could probably source individual battery cells on Ebay, or potentially you can buy another failed battery and have the shop build one functional battery using the good cells from the one you buy and the one on the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid - Battery Upgrade Question