Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PDCC hum / whine. Is there a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 05:38 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is an in-depth existing post on this noise - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...rom-what.htmla
Old 10-17-2022, 11:29 AM
Subartender
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zimrok
I’ll hop in and +1 for the rubber isolation bolts. I had this dentist drill whine and traced the cause down to the vibration of the PDCC line against part of the subframe. This is the long swooping line that does a 180 located in front of the hydraulic actuator for the active sway bar. These bolts degrade over time and separate and in many cases that I’ve seen, someone will just zip-tie the bend at the 180 around the subframe. This usually happens during an oil change as it’s necessary to drop the PDCC line to gain access to the oil filter.

These $3 Lemforder mounts for a BMW shut my PDCC up for good:

MFG part #: 1531301

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...MaAsbIEALw_wcB
This is exactly what happened to my car that I picked up on Saturday. Just ordered the bushings. How do you extract the half broken off bushing off? Easy to twist off with vise grips?
Old 10-18-2022, 01:03 PM
Dingo24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zimrok
I’ll hop in and +1 for the rubber isolation bolts. I had this dentist drill whine and traced the cause down to the vibration of the PDCC line against part of the subframe. This is the long swooping line that does a 180 located in front of the hydraulic actuator for the active sway bar. These bolts degrade over time and separate and in many cases that I’ve seen, someone will just zip-tie the bend at the 180 around the subframe. This usually happens during an oil change as it’s necessary to drop the PDCC line to gain access to the oil filter.

These $3 Lemforder mounts for a BMW shut my PDCC up for good:

MFG part #: 1531301

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...MaAsbIEALw_wcB

Problem is some of us don't have PDCC so we don't have the rubber isolator.

It could be the rubber isolator wrapped around the ac compressor however - I will attempt to rejig the engineering and see what I can come up with.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:34 PM
Subartender
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Two of mine was not only worn but broken off, I had to use something to grab onto it. Perfect time to use the Knipex. (Left is the brand new BMW part)

Here is a reference photo for those wonder how it should "hang". I only replaced two that was broken in half. Did not replace the one on the right since that one was ok and I dont want to risk breaking it.

The following users liked this post:
zimrok (12-25-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 08:52 AM
leebiggerstaff
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put me in the camp where the mounts were totally broken/gone and the whole setup zip tied in place. I assume this is the result of not knowing to unscrew the two bolts during an oil service - I am pretty tempted to use a labeler to put a sticker on the line mount. The previous owner changed the power steering pump earlier this year and it is shocking to me that the shop didn't recognize the need to change a few $4 mounts.

The following users liked this post:
zimrok (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 06:36 PM
zimrok
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Subartender
Two of mine was not only worn but broken off, I had to use something to grab onto it. Perfect time to use the Knipex. (Left is the brand new BMW part)

Here is a reference photo for those wonder how it should "hang". I only replaced two that was broken in half. Did not replace the one on the right since that one was ok and I dont want to risk breaking it.
Sorry I’m just now seeing/responding to this. Looks good and glad you got it all worked out. Nice Knipex btw. Definitely have a bit of an addiction to those things myself!
Old 01-11-2023, 10:53 AM
gonzoe11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I hit a large pot hole 2 weeks ago and the whine / hum/ rattle started immediately. I thought for sure i had some major damage. Lived with it for 2 weeks to try and diagnose where the sound was coming from and under what conditions. Finally dropped the CTT off at my Indy shop and turns out the rubber hangers-mounts snapped off. My shop had a bucket of the mounts in stock and sees Porsche uses these in many applications. Mounts replaced and the terrible whine/ rattle and hum is gone. I appreciate this thread for arming me with with good info and pointing the techs to the right location and avoiding extra billed time. $200 out the door.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:06 AM
Dingo24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzoe11
I hit a large pot hole 2 weeks ago and the whine / hum/ rattle started immediately. I thought for sure i had some major damage. Lived with it for 2 weeks to try and diagnose where the sound was coming from and under what conditions. Finally dropped the CTT off at my Indy shop and turns out the rubber hangers-mounts snapped off. My shop had a bucket of the mounts in stock and sees Porsche uses these in many applications. Mounts replaced and the terrible whine/ rattle and hum is gone. I appreciate this thread for arming me with with good info and pointing the techs to the right location and avoiding extra billed time. $200 out the door.
Glad you got that sorted out!

Do you know if you have PDCC?

I ask because for some of us, we don't have PDCC and as a result don't have the rubber isolators that seems to fix this issue.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:17 AM
gonzoe11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo24
Glad you got that sorted out!

Do you know if you have PDCC?

I ask because for some of us, we don't have PDCC and as a result don't have the rubber isolators that seems to fix this issue.
Thanks. I do have PDCC.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:26 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

So mine was fine with the zip tie fiasco. Then I did a pdcc fluid flush, still fine. Then I did an oil change. Whammy! Annoying steering pump buzz/whine. Definitely from the pdcc side, as I CDM feel the line humming/vibrating, while the steering side is quiet.

I‘be replaced the pump; zero change. I added the bushing back, and the fancy arm holder thingy. Maybe better?

Do I try another pump? Another flush? Trace the line for more missing brackets? Please; has anybody resolved this? I’m hesitant on the snake oil, and hope more conventional methods might resolve it first…

speaking of which… I could use the forum’s help finding this one. It is a clip that holds the pdcc line that connects to the pdcc valve body / distribution block.

FWIW the hose is mostly silent around that area. It is “noisy” as it leaves the pull and comes down to the useless 180 u-turn loop with the bracket in the way of oil changes.

Looking up at pdcc lines, clip should be on the a/c compressor (?)

close up, same area

The clip goes here on the diagram, but no part on the diagram there…. Oh! Maybe it is on the a/c compressor diagram? Looking…
Old 01-25-2023, 09:42 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

There it is #5 in the diagram, p/n 4D0616823

#5 holds pdcc li ES as they pass by the a/c compressor

and a better shot of the other ones…

Pdcc on the left/forward, steering on the right, plastic clips on a shroud around the a/c compressor.

Last edited by Crozzer; 01-25-2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:52 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

So, feeling around the lines while it is running, carefully… it appears this gets picked up as the lines pass by the a/c compressor. Could that be the culprit? Ours never disengages (I think / no clutch?), so maybe it picks up a hum that transmits to the pdcc and steering lines?

doesn’t explain why it traces all the way back to the reservoir, so maybe not / just a theory.

how bloody annoying!
Old 01-26-2023, 12:17 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

The clip you need, which is identified by part 5, is part number 958 126 020 00. Its the compressor support but it looks like this clip is included in the support part.

Edit: I see you found the clip by itself.

When you changed your PDCc fluid, did you bleed your PDCC system? It's a process where the car voilently jerks to the right and left.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:35 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

It’s amazing to me that so many cayenne owners are hearing this noise and yet there is no fix, or even a definitive answer to what is causing it – I’ve read on here of people replacing almost every part and still it persists – even my local dealership told me it “might” be the PS pump and they would replace it for $$$, but couldn’t say for sure it would eliminate the whining (mine or the car’s they did not say) – after telling you all in above posts the RVS fluid made no difference, then saying it made some difference, I’m back at no difference – the noise seems to be as loud as ever – so the search for an answer goes on – at this rate all these cars will be off the road before a solution is found, and the problem will be “fixed”
Old 05-17-2023, 06:28 PM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my oil cooler replaced and repaired the same day the noise started - I am going back to the shop if he ever calls me back - been 3 days already and no call back. Its careless to not put things back or inform customer of broken things. esp when you pay 2K and is your go to shop. Moving on where can I see if these things are attached? Can I drive it 40 miles away safely to the dealer or is that going to be a problem?
Originally Posted by CAVU
A relative of mine went through the same/similar issue on his 70k mile 2016 Turbo S. Turns out it was the power steering line bracket rubber mounts were broken off. They replaced all three. It was allowing the power steering lines to hang down. https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...er-95534363810

Quick Reply: PDCC hum / whine. Is there a fix?