Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Harsh ride addressed by changing tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 09:06 PM
SoundsoftheSuburbs
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Harsh ride addressed by changing tires?

I have been complaining for almost 5 years now about the ride quality in my 2017 Cayenne S with stock suspension. Well, I switched from the horrible Continental CrossContact LX Sports to the seemingly plusher and better reviewed CrossContact LX25s and it's almost like a different car. I have the standard suspension and now the ride quality is much more comparable to something more luxurious. I highly recommend them as an alternative to the original equipment.

The following users liked this post:
Johnnywood (01-09-2023)
Old 04-04-2022, 09:04 PM
TargaGrandpa
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear of your experience. Our base 2016 came with the same 20” wheels and Pirelli Scorpions Verde tires, and I also find the ride rather harsh on our lousy Chicagoland roads. I was even considering buying some 18” wheels to be able to get a taller sidewalls to improve the ride.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:14 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

Tire pressure matters a lot. I run 38 front, 40 rear. Higher pressures seem to give me center tread wear.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:33 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaGrandpa
Glad to hear of your experience. Our base 2016 came with the same 20” wheels and Pirelli Scorpions Verde tires, and I also find the ride rather harsh on our lousy Chicagoland roads. I was even considering buying some 18” wheels to be able to get a taller sidewalls to improve the ride.
Just a heads up about doing this as I literally just upgraded from the OEM 18" Conti's to the OEM 20" Pirelli's. The difference is massive!! Larger than I expected. The CD feels heavy and sloppy and rolls a lot on 18s. On 20s, if feels like a proper sports suv. I'll be swapping the Pirelli's out for some Michelins, but if you're looking for more comfort, I'd highly recommend looking into either a different tire, or 19s. I think don't think 18s belong on this car.
The following users liked this post:
Johnnywood (01-09-2023)
Old 04-04-2022, 10:54 PM
papb
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I second the comment about the tire pressure. When I first took home my cayenne (CPO from the dealer), I thought the ride was much harsher than I expected and recalled from the test drives. It has coil suspension + PASM and 20" spyder rims with scorpion verde tires. I'll admit it took me longer than it should have but, when I checked tire pressures, they were actually at or slightly above the pressures on the door jam stickers. The door jam pressures are actually a bit higher than the recommended psi in the manual (if I remember correctly; it could have been the other way around). Dropping the pressure down a few PSI made a huge difference; much more than I expected.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:12 PM
Slam08
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by papb
I second the comment about the tire pressure. When I first took home my cayenne (CPO from the dealer), I thought the ride was much harsher than I expected and recalled from the test drives. It has coil suspension + PASM and 20" spyder rims with scorpion verde tires. I'll admit it took me longer than it should have but, when I checked tire pressures, they were actually at or slightly above the pressures on the door jam stickers. The door jam pressures are actually a bit higher than the recommended psi in the manual (if I remember correctly; it could have been the other way around). Dropping the pressure down a few PSI made a huge difference; much more than I expected.
it’s amazing how much of a difference even 3 psi make. 5 is dramatic. Feels like a different suspension.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:18 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting. Our door sticker calls for 36f/47r on the 18s. I set the 20s up the same. Maybe I'll drop 2 or 3 psi front and back and see how it feels.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:18 PM
Slam08
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaGrandpa
surprised you didn’t like the scorpion verde. I switched to them after my continental ran out. They have great reviews regarding noise. I noticed a difference but of course it’s not fair for me to compare old continentals to new pirellis.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:34 PM
papb
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Slam08
it’s amazing how much of a difference even 3 psi make. 5 is dramatic. Feels like a different suspension.
Yeah, I feel like my pressures were 5-8 psi above the fully loaded rating on the door jam. It made a huge difference. The annoying thing is, anytime the car goes in for service, they "help me out" but checking and adjusting the pressure, even if I ask them not to.

I haven't had any issues with my Scorpion Verde but i'll admit, my last car was a 2009 sonata and I am city person, so I don't drive that much. They seem quiet and, at the right psi, feel great. They also had no trouble running at 145mph. lol

Quick Reply: Harsh ride addressed by changing tires?