Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Slow coolant drip located I think, now how to fix it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 06:05 PM
04996ttx50
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slow coolant drip located I think, now how to fix it...

Hey guys, this is my 2011 Turbo. It has 105k miles now. We bought it with 98k last fall and with a good service history at the local Porsche dealership. A couple days ago I noticed a slow coolant drip on the garage floor so removed splash shields underneath and tried to see where it was coming from. I snapped a couple pictures with my phone. Looks like it's coming from a coolant connection point just behind the passenger side headers on the rear of the engine. Drip hits the ground straight down from it basically just inside the front passenger tire. Has anyone had a drip here before? Also I don't know how I'd even reach this spot to fix it, it was hard enough just getting a picture of it. Hopefully engine doesn't need to be dropped to get to this spot. Anyone have any luck with JB weld? I'm not sure if this spot is under a lot of pressure or not. But by the looks of it and how slow it drips was wondering if JB would be an option? The pics below are just different angles. Thanks for any info/tips!

-Brant

Old 02-19-2022, 12:24 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

I would clean it up really well, jack up the right side of the Cayenne so it's tilting to the left, run the engine until it warms up (201ºF) then shut it off, and watch/check that spot again. If it is leaking elsewhere now, then your coolant vent line, a very common leak point, is more likely (and hopefully) the cause.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:42 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Garrett, my 2011 Cayenne Turbo with 96k is leaking under the intake manifold from the vent line. I have only seen the glued in fitting on the back being a problem.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:51 PM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Another place for a coolant leak is from the plastic valve in the upper left of your last picture attached to the rubber hose. I am currently in the process of replacing mine and it sure is fun to get to.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:08 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Easier to drop the engine and trans to fix it.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:16 PM
04996ttx50
Track Day

Update. Thanks for the tip! I jacked up the passenger side of the cayenne got it up to temp and that spot was dry as a bone after I cleaned it just after starting it. It stayed dry the entire time the vehicle was running and hot, and continued to stay dry when engine was cool still jacked up on the right side. I can't see any leak anywhere when it's running...So hopefully that means it's the coolant vent line that you mentioned? Also checked the driver side while under the car and didn't see any coolant leaking. So if I tear into it and remove the intake manifold can I replace that vent line without messing with the fuel lines? I've seen videos online but it was on the 955/957 but I haven't found any videos explaining the process with the 958 but Im guessing its pretty close. Any other spots I should check/replace while I am in there? Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
''
Old 02-21-2022, 02:26 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes you can. The coolant vent line can be replaced without removing the fuel rails - It just takes some patience and careful maneuvering. The new coolant pipe will also be fairly flexible and wont crack easily.

Based on your mileage and if your manifold has not been off in the past, as a minimum you will want to replace the manifold gaskets (x8) and consider doing water pump / thermostat while you are in there. When my coolant vent line failed at 135K i serviced my entire coolant system including serpentine belt, tensioner and pulleys... oh and an intake valve cleaning.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:33 PM
04996ttx50
Track Day

Good to know! I was looking through service history for the Cayenne and remembered previous owner had a coolant issue, and had it fixed at local Porsche dealership. This was only 12,000 miles ago. Would dealership go in and fix/replace these parts and not replace the coolant vent line? This is my first Cayenne so still learning this car when it comes to common weak points. Now that I have this info, what would be left to replace coolant wise?

OPERATION 09PEZZ-DE
OP. DESC. ENGINE CONCERN C TECHNICIAN NO (S) 9380

C/s low coolant warning on the dash, vehicle temp was pegged
hot and flashing red. Vehicle was driven for 15 min after this flickering between normal temp and hot.

COOLANT LEAK FROM COOLANT BREATHER PIPE UNDERNEATH INTAKE MANIFOLD. ALSO FOUND TURBO BREATHER PIPE CRACKED. REMOVED INTAKE MANIFOLD AND FOUND FURTHER LEAKS FROM THERMOSTAT
HOUSING FITTED PIPES COMING LOOSE AND CONNECTION POINTS AT ALTERNATOR LEAKING LOOSENED FUEL RAIL AND REMOVED THERMOSTAT HOUSING. REPLACED THERMOSTAT HOUSING WITH UPDATED PART WITH BOLTED IN PIPES REPLACED THERMOSTAT, REPLACED BREATHER PIPE AND REPLACED ED ALL SEALS. REINSTALLED FUEL RAIL AND INTAKE MANIFOLD WITH NEW SEALS. LOOSENED RIGHT FRONT WHEEL AND REMOVED FENDER LINER. REPLACED COOLANT INLETS ON ALTERNATOR, REINSTALLED FENDER LINER AND WHEEL AND VACUUM FILLED SYSTEM. PERFORMED MULTIPLE TEST DRIVES. COOLING SYSTEM AND VEHICLE INTERIOR HEATER NOW WORKING AS DESIGNED
OPERATION 03PEZ
OP. DESC. BODY/DOOR/ WINDOW
I
TECHNICIAN NO (S)
C/s while driving the chassis stabilization warning came
on and air in vents went freezing cold right away.

COULD NOT DUPLICATE CONCERN TEST DROVE VEHICLE MULTIPLE TIMES AFTER COOLANT REPAIR AND COULD NOT DUPLICATE CONCERN. VEHICLE WORKING AS DESIGNED
Old 02-21-2022, 04:24 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

looking at description above it looks like the coolant vent line was replaced "COOLANT LEAK FROM COOLANT BREATHER PIPE UNDERNEATH INTAKE MANIFOLD" but it seems strange to have failed again so soon...

The good news is that all the seals were replaced so no need to replace those again.. but if that specific dealer is nearby i would suggest taking back to them as 12k miles is way to early for that part to have failed again.
s4e46m
Old 03-01-2024, 01:23 PM
Sundevil84
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 Cayenne Sport is leaking from the spot originally mentioned above.

Does anyone have any idea how to get to it? I am going to replace the Vacuum pump (also leaking), do you think if that is removed I would have enough clearance from the top?

I searched and someone said they could reach through the wheel well (but that was on a 955), do you think this would work?

Quick Reply: Slow coolant drip located I think, now how to fix it...