Sponsored By:

19" Tire Recommendation for Casual Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 04:21 PM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 19" Tire Recommendation for Casual Driver

My sister's '14 CD needs new all-season tires and she asked for my opinion since I will be doing the installation for her. The vehicle currently has Michelin Latitude Tour HP and she has no complaints about them, but they don't exactly get the best reviews on TR.

She prefers ride quality and quietness over performance since she drives rather conservatively.

Any suggestions? Perhaps the Michelin Cross Climate is a better tire these days, but it doesn't come with an NO spec (maybe that doesn't really matter for an SUV tire).
Old 02-13-2022, 08:38 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Where does she live (approximately), how important is winter traction?
Old 02-13-2022, 09:14 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetch
My sister's '14 CD needs new all-season tires and she asked for my opinion since I will be doing the installation for her. The vehicle currently has Michelin Latitude Tour HP and she has no complaints about them, but they don't exactly get the best reviews on TR.

She prefers ride quality and quietness over performance since she drives rather conservatively.

Any suggestions? Perhaps the Michelin Cross Climate is a better tire these days, but it doesn't come with an NO spec (maybe that doesn't really matter for an SUV tire).
^^ I believe you answered your own question. The Cross Climate has stellar reviews, all-season use and is well suited for a tame driver. And for her use, the NO spec doesn't matter.
The following users liked this post:
turbodogtodd (10-24-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 01:59 AM
Puch
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a set of the 19” Michelins Cross Climate 2 tires on my wife’s Alfa Romeo Stelvio just over a year ago and highly recommend them. Excellent all season tire: comfortable, smooth, quiet, good handling and better than average winter performance.
turbodogtodd (10-24-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 03:38 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Either the Michelin Cross Climate or the Pirelli Scorpion AS3. Currently have the Pirelli on my Cayenne and the GF has the Michelin on her Rav4. The are both very good tires but IMO, Pirelli gets the edge in quietness and treadwear while the Michelin does better in snow and rain. But honestly can't go wrong with either.
jjking22 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 06:47 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by lml999
Where does she live (approximately), how important is winter traction?
She is in West Virginia and doesn't drive very often in the snow.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:47 PM
Vetch
Racer

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus. Hands down. now on our fourth set on my wife's Cayenne Diesel. One set of DWS. Two sets of DWS 06, and now the Plus.

They are comfortable, quiet, handle rain EXTREMELY well, do well in snow for an all season (based on previous experience on less capable vehicles when we lived up North) and overall give very nice handling feel for an all season. We're on the 275/45 (40?) 20's. But I'm sure they fit the 19's too.

Cannot recommend enough on a Cayenne Diesel. My wife has never given one complaint, and she also drives "conservatively". But when I drive the CD, I have no complaints either.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-14-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Chaos (10-22-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 07:05 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus. Hands down. now on our fourth set on my wife's Cayenne Diesel. One set of DWS. Two sets of DWS 06, and now the Plus.

They are comfortable, quiet, handle rain EXTREMELY well, do well in snow for an all season (based on previous experience on less capable vehicles when we lived up North) and overall give very nice handling feel for an all season. We're on the 275/45 (40?) 20's. But I'm sure they fit the 19's too.

Cannot recommend enough on a Cayenne Diesel. My wife has never given one complaint, and she also drives "conservatively". But when I drive the CD, I have no complaints either.
Thanks but that tire is not offered in a 265/50 R19.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Thanks but that tire is not offered in a 265/50 R19.
Wow, surprising. Oh well.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:46 PM
refinedswag
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles do they typically last?

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Old 02-18-2022, 08:00 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm not particularly happy with the N0 Michelin Latitude Tour HP. They ride OK, but the tread is peeling on the tires. Never seen anything like it. They are only a few years old with more than half the tread depth remaining.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:49 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by ledbette
I'm not particularly happy with the N0 Michelin Latitude Tour HP. They ride OK, but the tread is peeling on the tires. Never seen anything like it. They are only a few years old with more than half the tread depth remaining.
That is exactly what happened to my sister's CD! I used to think so highly of Michelin!

Last edited by Vetch; 02-18-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:06 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette
That is exactly what happened to my sister's CD! I used to think so highly of Michelin!
In the world of tires, every brand has their crappy models, some much better than others - even Michelin. The Latitude Tour HP are crap. The Cross Climate are excellent. As are the Defender LTX/MS tires for SUVs/ trucks. Can't win 'em all...

Goodyear has crappy models and good models. As does Firestone. As does every tire brand. Which drives me crazy when asking about tires, someone will generically recommend "Go with Michelins (or Pirellis or...)" Even "Wrangler" is not specific enough, as Goodyear probably makes 10 different versions with "Wrangler" somewhere in the name. You have to be specific...

And, when asking for recommendations, the intended usage is critical - the OP was specific in the intended application, which is great. "Which tire is best?" with no additional context or details is a dumb question. The OP did it right.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:31 AM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by Trio
In the world of tires, every brand has their crappy models, some much better than others - even Michelin. The Latitude Tour HP are crap. The Cross Climate are excellent. As are the Defender LTX/MS tires for SUVs/ trucks. Can't win 'em all...

Goodyear has crappy models and good models. As does Firestone. As does every tire brand. Which drives me crazy when asking about tires, someone will generically recommend "Go with Michelins (or Pirellis or...)" Even "Wrangler" is not specific enough, as Goodyear probably makes 10 different versions with "Wrangler" somewhere in the name. You have to be specific...

And, when asking for recommendations, the intended usage is critical - the OP was specific in the intended application, which is great. "Which tire is best?" with no additional context or details is a dumb question. The OP did it right.

I guess I just always thought Michelin could do no wrong. But thank you for the comment. We've decided to go with Pirelli Scorpion AS3 this time.

Quick Reply: 19" Tire Recommendation for Casual Driver