Sponsored By:

19" Tire Recommendation for Casual Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 03:29 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetch
I guess I just always thought Michelin could do no wrong. But thank you for the comment. We've decided to go with Pirelli Scorpion AS3 this time.
Going to put tires on my wifes 958 in a couple of weeks. We live in upstate NY--Syracuse area--so we do get snow. Was thinking all weather since they will be new for this first winter then get some winter rims for winter tires next year. How does your sister like the Pirelli's? I think I narrowed it down to the Michelin CrossClimate or the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2022, 05:06 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice
Going to put tires on my wifes 958 in a couple of weeks. We live in upstate NY--Syracuse area--so we do get snow. Was thinking all weather since they will be new for this first winter then get some winter rims for winter tires next year. How does your sister like the Pirelli's? I think I narrowed it down to the Michelin CrossClimate or the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. Thanks!
Upstate NY? Lake effect snow?

If I lived there...and I did (Chenango Valley)...I would go with dedicated winter snows *this* year. I always ran Gislaved or Nokian Hakkas, and I run Nokian R3s on both the CS and the Q7, even on Cape Cod...

...of course, the weather man says that due to El Nino, we're going to have a mild winter in the northeast...but who knows.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:29 PM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice
She had no concerns with the AS Plus 3's, but ended up passionately hating the Cayenne Diesel after too many near-misses caused by the extreme turbo lag in the summer weather. She is a ridiculously safe driver but with the lag, she had to wait longer for larger gaps in traffic when making right hand turns and from four-way stops. Drivers behind her would regularly honk... not knowing the CD was a slug, and she just couldn't take it anymore. So some idiot bought the CD from her... me. And I hugely regret it.

Last edited by Vetch; 10-21-2022 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
roll_the_dice (10-21-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 09:02 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

See if General has a all season that fits.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,613 Posts

She had no concerns with the AS Plus 3's, but ended up passionately hating the Cayenne Diesel after too many near-misses caused by the extreme turbo lag in the summer weather. She is a ridiculously safe driver but with the lag, she had to wait longer for larger gaps in traffic when making right hand turns and from four-way stops. Drivers behind her would regularly honk... not knowing the CD was a slug, and she just couldn't take it anymore. So some idiot bought the CD from her... me. And I hugely regret it.
We live in Houston and while the summer performamce is definitely affected, what you describe is extreme. My wife daily's the CD and has never, ever been honked at or had any issues getting out of the way of anybody. Has your CD had the second "fix"? That helped a lot. Also, make sure the EGR is clean, etc.

She's no leadfoot and has never called the car that bad.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:44 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
We live in Houston and while the summer performamce is definitely affected, what you describe is extreme. My wife daily's the CD and has never, ever been honked at or had any issues getting out of the way of anybody. Has your CD had the second "fix"? That helped a lot. Also, make sure the EGR is clean, etc.

She's no leadfoot and has never called the car that bad.
Yup... both "fixes" done a while ago. Perhaps the difference is the humidity we have here. Not sure about the EGR... my understanding is that getting to it is a nightmare so I haven't bothered to try. I've looked for threads here on CD issues and soot build up in the intake manifold seems to be common. I've done a bit of clean up but no where deep enough through the disassembly to get near the EGR. Am I missing something?

Would love to reflash back to pre-fix but the guy doing that has dropped off the radar. The CD just sits in the garage now. I much prefer to drive my daily beater due to the CD's lag. It is freagin' dangerous. Dealer says this is normal behavior. I probably should sell it off.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yup... both "fixes" done a while ago. Perhaps the difference is the humidity we have here. Not sure about the EGR... my understanding is that getting to it is a nightmare so I haven't bothered to try. I've looked for threads here on CD issues and soot build up in the intake manifold seems to be common. I've done a bit of clean up but no where deep enough through the disassembly to get near the EGR. Am I missing something?

Would love to reflash back to pre-fix but the guy doing that has dropped off the radar. The CD just sits in the garage now. I much prefer to drive my daily beater due to the CD's lag. It is freagin' dangerous. Dealer says this is normal behavior. I probably should sell it off.
Trust me, you don’t have more humidity than we do here. Maybe equal.

Seriously, sorry to hear this. Can you post a video in another thread?
Old 10-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Vetch
Racer

Trust me, you don’t have more humidity than we do here. Maybe equal.

Seriously, sorry to hear this. Can you post a video in another thread?
Me and my sis tried to get video showing the lag to convince the dealer that this wasn't normal. We tried it several ways including with a Durametric real-time values screen in the video. There is just no way to show the amount of time that passes between when you press the gas pedal and when the engine actually goes. The engine is like "Huh? What? You want to move forward? But I'm more comfortable sitting still like this. Are you sure you really want to go? Ok. I'll move a bit. How's that? No wait, I've got some boost want to blast off uncontrollably so the groceries slide together and pile up. Haha! Did I scare the $hit out of you and the passenger? Good... that's what I was programmed to do when I got fixed."
Old 10-23-2022, 08:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Me and my sis tried to get video showing the lag to convince the dealer that this wasn't normal. We tried it several ways including with a Durametric real-time values screen in the video. There is just no way to show the amount of time that passes between when you press the gas pedal and when the engine actually goes. The engine is like "Huh? What? You want to move forward? But I'm more comfortable sitting still like this. Are you sure you really want to go? Ok. I'll move a bit. How's that? No wait, I've got some boost want to blast off uncontrollably so the groceries slide together and pile up. Haha! Did I scare the $hit out of you and the passenger? Good... that's what I was programmed to do when I got fixed."
Sounds like my F10 535. Been there, sorry you are there too. Your CD is definitely an anomaly but I know that doesn’t help you. Ugh. I ended up trading my F10….on the CD. Irony!
Old 10-23-2022, 08:51 PM
Vetch
Racer

Sounds like my F10 535. Been there, sorry you are there too. Your CD is definitely an anomaly but I know that doesn’t help you. Ugh. I ended up trading my F10….on the CD. Irony!
Any ideas what would cause this? Do you know of any threads on RL that address and solve this issue?
Old 02-20-2023, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following
Old 02-20-2023, 07:39 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 159 Posts

I'd check for the soot clogging issue, as the amount of lag you describe doesn't sound anywhere normal, fix or not. I had the clog happen on a VW I owned a few years back and the symptoms you are describing were the same. Had the intake/EGR cleaned out and she ran like brand new after that !

Quick Reply: 19" Tire Recommendation for Casual Driver