Sponsored By:

958.2 Looking for root cause for false defective tail light error

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 07:51 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
I too have this issue, though it only seems to be present in very cold temperatures (say 40 degrees and below). I have a relatively new battery, and am reasonably confident that it isn't the problem.
This is a known issue and Porsche has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for it, and there is also a revised tail light part. Their instructions to the dealership guide them to use a PIWIS tester to guide them to the fault, and then replace the outer tail lights. The TSB is attached.
Cold temps is where I see it and I'm pretty sure this TSB is on-the-money on that issue. It seems to be just an annoyance and not a real problem as the tail lights continue to work just fine. My guess is they changed a resistor or capacitor somewhere in the tail light electronic module on the revised part. I would love to know exactly what is different. Replacing the entire tail light assembly is more expensive than it's worth for an out-of-warranty car.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:09 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
I would check this thread out. Sounds like it’s a known problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ult-light.html
This thread is from 2005 and is relevant to Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation. Comments may or may not be relevant to the 958.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:43 PM
X-TNSIV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 958.2 and also had the right and left tail light error. took it to the dealer under diesel gate extended bumper to bumper warranty and they replaced both lights. notes said lights fell within a defect production range and would be covered.

Quick Reply: 958.2 Looking for root cause for false defective tail light error