Sponsored by:

Airbag Fault Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 03:56 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Fault Light

Any ideas for how to reset this light? I tried my old favorite of turning the key to the left and holding it there for 1 minute to reset the computer. That didn't work.. Just trying to avoid a drive to the shop so I'm open to suggestions.

Steve
2004 CTT
Old 06-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better take it into the shop. There's a known wiring issue that causes the fault light to go on even though the air bag is OK. The dealer has a TSB for fixing the problem so it doesn't come back. Mine was done back in April.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:36 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

Take it in- common problem with wiring under the seats- quick fix, no problems since. Mine was done last winter...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

The airbag fault requires the PST2 / PST3 to reset. There is a fix to resolve the problem which will prevent future failures. The airbag that the vehicle determined is faulty will remain inoperative until the fault is cleared.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
The airbag that the vehicle determined is faulty will remain inoperative until the fault is cleared.
Interesting... my dealer told me that the airbag would still work. In any event, I checked my service record tonight and don't actually see a recall code listed for the job. The description reads,
"Dirver front side airbag wiring update needed. Checked faults - see print out for fault #1217, inspected and side airbag connector replacement had not yet been done. Performed update on both front seat side airbag wire harnesses. Cut, crimped and soldered wire harness, R&I both front seats for access."

Old 06-11-2005, 12:00 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airbag fault requires the PST2 / PST3 to reset. There is a fix to resolve the problem which will prevent future failures. The airbag that the vehicle determined is faulty will remain inoperative until the fault is cleared.
Thats not necessarily true, unless there is a open continously present short or open circuit. In the majority of cases, the airbag will still deploy even if the light is on (aka the majority of Cayenne airbag light issues.)
Old 06-11-2005, 06:56 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTEC
Thats not necessarily true, unless there is a open continously present short or open circuit. In the majority of cases, the airbag will still deploy even if the light is on (aka the majority of Cayenne airbag light issues.)
Not according to the factory service manual which states that the airbag with the fault is disabled.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:43 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have they solved this problem on later builds (my05) ??? curious as i'll plan on not being surprised.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:15 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Not according to the factory service manual which states that the airbag with the fault is disabled.
Where would that be, I would like to read that for myself. I've got "Cayenne-6901 Airbag Introduction" in front of me and I dont see anywhere explicitly that the presence of the airbag will disable that airbag. My understanding is that there are two basic types of faults, present and not present, and in the case of a fault that is not present, the airbag will still function. Im mean if your airbag light is on because an ignition circuit wire is cut in half, obviously that airbag is not going to inflate if you get in a wreck. In the case of most cayenne airbag woes (intermittenly loose connections under the seat) the fault isnt present and hence the airbag will still work (as long as the plug isnt loose at that exact moment)

Last edited by PTEC; 06-17-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Repair complete.... Required removing the underside of the seat to get to the airbag cable, and removing the quick release connectors and soldering it all together.

Steve
Old 06-21-2005, 01:54 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Where would that be, I would like to read that for myself. I've got "Cayenne-6901 Airbag Introduction" in front of me and I dont see anywhere explicitly that the presence of the airbag will disable that airbag.
The Porsche Factory Technical Manual, Group 0, Diagnosis, Part 3 (Repair Group 67 to 90), list this information in several locations. For example, in section 69-12, page 1, there is a table titled: "Fault survey, Airbag". For each of the fault codes it lists the code, the code title and the fault effect. For two of the common faults the table lists the effect for both to be that the airbag warning light is on and for 1217 that the side airbag for the driver cannot be triggered and for 1218 that the side airbag for the passenger cannot be triggered.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:18 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

I see the chart you are referring to in the airbag fault overview, though it doesnt explain the difference in fault status, i.e. present or non present.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:05 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The manual also states that intermittant faults are automatically cleared after a specific number of ignition cycles, 30 or 50. But, airbag faults remain until manually cleared by the dealership.

So, a detected airbag fault will remain active even if the cause for the fault has abated. The affected airbag will be prevented from triggering until the dealership clears the fault.

The manuals have that information too.

Quick Reply: Airbag Fault Light